SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Have any of you had a colicky baby?

nicole_ont
15 years ago

Oliver cries from about 6:00 until 9:00 every evening, no matter what we do. At the end of those three-ish hours, he has a big poop and an explosion of toots and then he completely relaxes after that. He never cries during the night, but he cries from pain off and on throughout the day. (Any one ever get dirty looks in a grocery store because your baby starts to scream? I've actually been told - "He's hungry.... FEED him".)

He latches on well, but still sometimes when he's nursing he'll suddenly pop off and just SCREAM. It's heartbreaking. His doctor says there's nothing wrong with him. I've tried eliminating different things from my diet for a while - dairy, garlic, caffeine, etc., but nothing's made a difference. Gripe water doesn't help. Claude and I try putting gentle pressure on his belly, doing the bicycle thing with his legs, bouncing him, rocking him.... nothing works. Sometimes the noise of the vacuum cleaner will soothe him for a while, as will a warm bath, but not for very long.

Neither Sophie nor Benjamin were criers. They were very content babies, so this is new to me. Any advice or tips will be MUCH appreciated!

Comments (23)

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

We did and I feel for you!
    My Gramma told me to try Fletcher's Castoria, just a drop or two from an eye dropper and by golly it worked for us! Of course this was many years ago, and it didn't hurt baby either.
    I looked it up to see if it was still made and apparently it is but its hard to find? I found this on Wikipedia:
    Fletcher's Castoria, now known as Fletcher's Laxative, is an oral syrup containing a stimulant laxative and ingredients to soothe the stomach.

• Eliza_ann_ca
    15 years ago

My first baby,my daughter cried every evening from 6 to about 9 or 10.She would draw her little legs up towards her tummy and scream.Dr at that time suggested gripe water,but it rarely worked.
    There are infant Oval drops at the drugstore which some people have found effective.
    My daughter gradually outgrew it in about two months,but it's so hard to watch them in pain,knowing it's just gas doesn't help a lot...it's your baby and you want to stop their pain.Check out with your Dr or pharmacist about the infant oval drops.
    Hope the little angel gets some relief soon.
    Hugs..Audrey

• Related Discussions

Have any of you had your couches professionally cleaned?

Q

Comments (8)
    Lindac- I'll check to see if we have a Service Master here. Mboston- I just sold my microfiber set- it cleaned up like a dream. Everything just wiped right off. To add to the spots, 2yr old DD is sick and vomited on a cushion this morning so any advice to get rid of that smell would be greatly appreciated. I cleaned up the cushion with a damp towel and it isn't bringing out any more dirt, but I can still smell it. I thought of using febreeze but i'm afraid it will make it worse.
    ...See More

Have you had any experience with Momeni area rugs?

Q

Comments (1)
    No but it sure is pretty!!!
    ...See More

Colicky baby or Hungry baby?

Q

Comments (6)
    One thing that happened with my baby is that he was getting plenty to eat, but he just wasn't getting satisfied. At least, that's what we think. He was gaining plenty of weight, but everytime after he ate he would get real fussy and even screaming and seemed like he was in pain. We thought it was colic, too. Then I started incorporating formula once a day and he started to become a little more content after eating. We decided that he was either not getting enough with my milk (even though nutrition-wise he was, it might not have been rich enough for him) or we thought he was having a reaction to my milk. We thought maybe that the lactose or dairy in my milk was upseting him. We now have him 100% on soy formula and he absolutely loves it. I am not in any way condoning switching to formula but if the activity persists, you might want to ask your ped. what else it could be? Maybe he is just hungry all the time!! Good luck! Andrea
    ...See More

Have any of you had luck with Radermachera (China Doll)?

Q

Comments (2)
    I think it's a pretty easy plant to keep happy. Bright light keeps it from stretching out more than you'd like. It won't like a soil that stays soggy for any length of time, and tips brown easily if the level of stuff dissolved in the soil solution (usually from fertilizer and tapwater residues) gets too high. Basically, life for this plant runs pretty smoothly if you have a nice bright, warm spot for it to live and keep it in a soil that allows you to flush the accumulating dissolved solids out w/o having to worry the soil will remain wet so long it will cause problems with root health or root function. Al
    ...See More
  • socks
    15 years ago

They always cry at that time because they don't want you to eat dinner!!! Oh boy, do I know about that.

I don't know how old your baby is, but when our DS did that, we put him in the doorway jumper which helped him settle down for long enough for us to throw dinner down.

I know this is probably no help, but do know you have my sympathy. I know how difficult this is and that you would do just anything to settle baby down. Best wishes. This will pass.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I have read that giving the baby probiotics can really help with colic until the baby's system matures. There is lots of positive research on this. I know that my mother has always complained that I was a colic baby and I am still to this day lactose intolerant.

You say you have tried to eliminate dairy from your diet and that is one of the recommendations for new mothers. Lots of commercially processed food have *hidden* dairy in them and maybe your baby is very, very sensitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_colic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

Here is a link that might be useful: Probiotics

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

My grandson Brad...screamed about 20 hours a day....for 6 weeks...they kept telling her he just had colic. She kept taking him in and finally they ran some test on him...

They ran a scope down him and his esophagus and stomach was covered with sores...

He had an intollerance to milk, soy and protein.

We walked and patted his little butt for hours....poor baby.

I don't think you are dealing with that kind of thing...but my other daughter also had a cryer...she ran a dirt devil vacuum all the time under her crib.....burn out two of them...lol

Sounds like your little guy is having gastric trouble...

Have you taken him to talk to doctor about it?

patti

• gemini40
    15 years ago

Nicole I am not sure of the spelling but my daughter used something called mylecon . You could ask your dr. about that . It helped somewhat and it is not a prescription either. Hang in there!!

june

• declansmom
    15 years ago

Nicole....my third son was colicky and I found that besides running the vacuum cleaner as mentioned above, I used to put him in his baby seat on top of the dryer and turn it on. (Make sure you stay in the room) Both the sound and the vibration used to help alot. Maybe it also helped because the vibration made things move around in his tummy. Another thing to try would be the baby swing. I never did use any kind of medicine, but it would be wise to check and make sure that you stay on a bland diet for a while.
    Hope things get better for both of you.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I was saved by the baby swing with our oldest, but it wasn't colic, just fussiness and wanting to be held all the time.

I would cut out all chocolate, tomatoes and tomato sauces, caffeine, milk and milk by products and milk products such as cheese and yogurt from your diet. To eliminate milk, as Dilly says, you need to read all the ingredients on everything for casein (sp?) and whey which are milk by products that are waste products from making cheese. They do throw it in everything. Most margerines have milk in them. French bread is safe. Cook without milk too. I whipped potatoes with water, or you could use chicken broth. Sherbet has milk in it, but Italian ice doesn't. Also, my pediatrician warned me that about half of his babies that were allergic to milk were also allergic to soy and to stay away from soy during the testing period to be able to pinpoint the food allergies. If it is milk allergy, it takes weeks to get it out of his system, so give it a month of 100% milk free nursing and see if you can tell any difference. Oreo cookies I remember were one of the few cookies that did not have milk or milk by products. Angel food cake is safe too. Breads vary so read the ingredients. Nucoa margerine had no milk in it. Read all processed food labels.

• ivamae
    15 years ago

My daughter had colic, too. We were told to be sure that her feet were always warm. Often she would quit if we took her out in her buggy for a walk. If that didn't work a car ride always did. Many nights we drove around all over, to just quiet her. Of course back then, she was in my arms, not in a car seat. Don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Certainly it is not much fun, but usually it quits at 3 months of age.

• stephmc72
    15 years ago

Grant was like that...the evenings he cried ALOT. Then he'd be totally content, fall asleep and out of nowhere just start screaming out as if he were in pain. I tried everything, nothing worked except time. He eventually grew out of it but it took months.

I tried the gripe water, mylicon, switching formulas, switching bottles, different types of holds, swaddling, bouncing, white noise, everything. Occasionally he would be content laying on the dryer when it was on. I finally got this vibrate thing that goes under his mattress and he seemed to like that but it by no means solved his problems. It just made him happier for longer.

I'm sorry I dont really have any advice for you, but I feel your pain. It's frustrating and exhausting.

• sjerin
    15 years ago

I "third" the idea of checking your diet extremely carefully for any dairy at all. Two of my three were extremely sensitive and would cry as you mentioned above. I remember one time taking dd2 in the bath with me to calm her and realized we were eventually swimming in poop. :) Even the tiniest bit of dairy would set the baby off, about 20 minutes after I ate and then nursed. What different babies they were if I was vigilant. Perhaps try not eating any processed food, if you can manage it.

• teresava
    15 years ago

Poor Oliver and poor you!!

My friends have had "screamin demon" babies and they all survived. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is acid reflux. It seems much more common then I ever realized-even in newborns (babies not eating table food). Does Oliver spit up a lot? You may want to ask your doctor? My friend had to fight her doc after a few times of nothing's wrong responses too.

Katie was really gassy her first 2 or 3 months (now she's 8months) sounded like a frat boy farting! I think their system is just immature and gets stronger. The gas drops were good for her and tummy time (just not after eating).

Since you are nursing, you could try the LaLecheLeague website? I provided the one for Canada.

Good Luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: LLL Canada

• orie
    15 years ago

My daughter cried screams of death for over a year. Nothing wrong with her... just a screamer. I nearly lost my sanity. I went for a check up once with her along and I must have looked so bad that the nurse snuck her phone # into my hand and told me to call her if I ever thought of doing something drastic! I was asked to leave Gymboree, a child's clothing store, for goodness sakes, and asked to wait outside at a Service Merchandise. Doctors didn't believe me that she never slept and that she cried day in and out. I video taped 3 days in our lives with this child showed it to my Pediatrician and all I got was... "Oh well, 1 out of every 10 kids are like this and you are the lucky one!" I wanted to run away and never return. She wasn't colicky. Someone mentioned possible autism. All she did was scream... not cry.... scream! I could understand how someone could hurt their child. I was at the very end of my rope, no family nearby (had just moved from Miami to NC) and a husband who was gone to China often! Things got better eventually but I never had another (which I regret) and she finally outgrew this at the age of 3! Yes, 3! We were all lucky to make it out alive. It's not always food related so just be aware that sometimes.... it's just their darn personalities. She's now a wonderful, happy, healthy, awesome soccer player, honor student, 13 year old. Thank God I didn't run away! LOL. Wasn't very funny then, though.

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

I will probably get static for this, but it worked for me...instantly. My oldest had colic. Every night for 3 hours. I would sit there and cry with him, not knowing what else to try. My sister worked for a chiropractor, so I took him to see him. Doc was a Palmer graduate, which means he was non-force. He picked my son up, adjusted his spine and that night, there was no 3 hours of crying. When my youngest started with colic...off we went again.

It isn't for everyone, but it worked for my babies.

• Linda
    15 years ago

Oh boy Nicole do I feel for you. I had a colicky baby for 9 months. He started out as a breast fed baby, cried and cried, we thought he wasnt getting enough. Changed to formula, didnt help. We changed his formula 6 times. The doctor told me that if you added up all the cries of a baby for 24 hours and it totalled more than 1 hour, you had a colicky baby. My baby was barely quiet for 1 hour in 24. The only thing that seemed to help was warm baths and holding him on his back, feet towards my belly, head straight out from that and constant bouncing up and down. I would walk around like that for what seemed like hours, but he wouldnt cry. My back on the other hand was killing me. He also was a cat napper so there was no rest to be found.

Mylicon helps some babies, and I can't remember if its peppermint oil or spearmint oil (my baby is now 18) (Just a drop or two in their bottle). You might want to ask the pediatrician about that.

I remember those days, we called them the "cranking hours". Right around the same time every night, that first cry and your heart sinks, you know whats coming.

Good luck, and hang tough, eventually it will end. Those babies seem to wind up with the best personalities!

• Toni S
    15 years ago

Sundowners syndrome! I hope you figure it out, you'll make a billion dollars.

Our three had it off and on in the first year. Sometimes we would turn the dryer on and set the baby seat on top. Going for a car ride sometimes helped. A tractor ride was even better. We would crunch the little legs up to their chest and bring them back down. Often all they wanted was to be in the football hold, maybe it felt better on the tummy. I'm sure there are lots of reasons for colick but for my kids I think it was too much air in the tummy. I would burp more often, which seemed to help some. If my oldest would drink his fill he would cry and eventually barf it back up with a vengence!
    If you can't figure it out, at least take turns dealing with it. No need for everyone to be wore out at the same time I say.

• roseluver
    15 years ago

Putting our son face, tummy down on our lap and bouncing him seemed to help relieve some of the gas. Might work for you. I pray something helps.

• lunchlady1948
    15 years ago

My DGD who is 2 1/2 months old did this, but she is not breast fed, my DD changed her to a Sensitive formula that is lactose free helped alot. Before that she had some drops she used to help break up the gas, her dr recommended them they are OTC. Maybe there is something at a health food shop you could try, I got some Rescure drops there to calm my kitty down and they make alot of the same type products for babies and adults.

• drewsmaga
    15 years ago

My 1st (of 7 -- I don't know what I was thinking when I had more kids) would sleep for an hr. or 2 and scream for an hr. or 2. Or longer. For 5 months. I never got out of my pajamas with that kid. In 1970 the only treatment was a hot water bottle. He's 38 now, an engineer -- smart, well-adjusted, happy, successful. He doesn't know how close I came to infanticide. . . . . Hang in there. This, too, SHALL PASS!!

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

drewmaga, First of seven!!!! I'm amazed you had even a second after the first! LOL!
    My first was a screamer and she is now a doctor (I would tell her that her first was payback).
    I went on to have 4 myself..........we just don't learn sometimes.
    Kathy G in MI

• mariend
    15 years ago

You can try peppermint extract. Just dip a toothpick into the jar and dip it in boiled warm water. If it is gas, it will help--old old rememdy and it worked with my kids. My GD dr gave her a prescription for her baby which did help. The other thing that help my kids was a baby hot water bottle that the baby slept on--but that is when they slept on their tummies and keep socks/booties on their feet, along with the sleepers.

• drewsmaga
    15 years ago

kathyg_in_mi , yeah I was barely 20 when I had him. I don't know whatI was thinking (youth insanity?) when the second was twins 17 mos. after the baby from Hades. None of the others had colic (?immature mom?) My oldest DG was colicky (?immature Mom?) -the 3 younger ones weren't. Hence my advice to nicole_ont -- hang in there! This, too, shall pass. . . . (And I discovered that if I'd drink a Screwdriver about an hour before I'd nurse him, he'd sleep for maybe 3-4 hrs.)

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

Having a drink does help with the nursing. I remember my doctor telling me to drink a half a glass of beer or wine before nursing. I'm not a drinker, but did it anyways. If it didn't help the babies, it sure helped me, I was so much more relaxed for the feedings. Didn't do it every feeding, just when I was feeling stressed.
    Kathy G in MI

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022