SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Canadians: Get a buck's value for 50 - 60 cents ... or much less

joyfulguy
13 years ago

Here's a Christmas present for ya ... if you're in a charitable mood, that is.

Most grocery stores, and churches and firehalls, have a big box to receive food packages for social service agencies, including the Food Bank. If I buy some food and put it in there, maybe I get the kind that the giving agency would prefer, or maybe something less useful. And I pay the $1.00 retail price. The store owner is pleased, for s/he sold an item that s/he didn't expect to.

A couple of times a year, including November and December, a number of our local stores allow us to make a contribution to a local charity when we check out - to buy a meal for a needy person: used to be $2.57, then $2.85, now $3.11, around here.

When you do, the one supported agency gets the money, so can buy the food for which they feel the greatest need, and can buy it at wholesale price, possibly 80 cents or so. And the store gets the credit for the contribution.

If you visit the social service agency yourself and write them a cheque, they can choose what food to buy, and pay the wholesale price (and maybe get some extra thrown in, if they're lucky) ...

... and they give you a receipt, which comes handy for you at tax time.

For your first $200.00 annual charitable contribution, you get a credit at the usual rate ... but for every dollar of contribution above that, though your top rate of tax may be lower than the highest rate, the credit which you can claim is at the highest rate.

That may reduce your actual cost of the $1.00 retail cost of the food for charity to 50 - 60 cents.

Here's a potential bonus.

I bought some shares of a Canadian bank 43 years ago for about $4.20 and they paid me about 12 cents a year per share, which was taxed at a much lower rate than that on usual income.

In June of '07, I could have sold it for $107.00 or so ... and it was paying me $3.08 per year, which was then taxed at an even lower rate, due to a change in method of calculation. They raised the annual payout in the fall of '07 to $3.48.

That bank was involved in the U.S. financial fiasco, a couple of years ago ...

... which resulted in the price of that share dropping to about $40.00 ... and they maintained the earlier dividend rate of $3.48 per year.

Recently, the price per share has partially recovered to in the $75.00 range.

If I sell a share, when I calculate tax, I deduct the purchase price from the sale price (say $74.20 - $4.20) to calculate my capital gain, which if I sell at the indicated price, would be $70.00.

When tax time rolls around, I am taxable at regular rate on one half of that capital gain, so divide that $70.00 by 2 and am taxable at my highest marginal rate on that $35.00.

If, however, I take the stock certificate to a charity, e.g. the London Community Foundation, they'll give me a charitable receipt for the full $74.20, which I use as a deduction on my income tax.

They will send most of the money to whatever charitble agency I designate ... and ask me to contribute part of it to their charitable work (which in most cases parallels mine).

And the amount of tax that I am required to pay on that $35.00 of capital gain ... is zero.

I like them apples even better.

ole joyful

Comments (3)