SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelles_gw

Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Cookies

nelles_gw
15 years ago

Hi, Everyone:

I posted this on the cooking forum, and got one response. She suggested I make these as a bar cookie, but I'm at a loss as to what type pan to use and how long to cook the bar cookie. Let me say I'm not much of a cook, so that may have something to do with my results.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

This is the recipe, which has been advertised recently in a number of magazines.

Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies

Yield: 24 cookies

12 ounce(s) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

11 1/2 ounce(s) 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips

6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter

3 eggs

1 cup(s) sugar

1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder

1 cup(s) chopped walnuts

Directions

In double boiler over hot water, melt bittersweet chocolate chips and butter. In large bowl with electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs and sugar until thick; stir into chocolate mixture. In small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Gently mix in semi-sweet chocolate chips and walnuts. Using a sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into two logs, each 2 inches in diameter and about 12 inches long. As dough will be quite soft, use plastic wrap to hold dough in log shape. Wrap tightly; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm. (Dough may be frozen; thaw in refrigerator before proceeding with recipe.) Heat oven to 375°F. Unwrap dough; with sharp knife, cut into 3/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 1/2 inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until shiny crust forms on top but interior is still soft. Cool on baking sheet; store in airtight tin up to 1 week.

The first time I made these cookies, I followed the direction for forming into logs (not at all easy), and refrigerated the dough for at least 2 hours. When I unwrapped the dough, what a mess! It stuck HORRIBLY to the plastic wrap, and was pretty much impossible to cut neatly. I ended up forming balls, and then cooking according to the recipe. Even forming the balls was VERY messy, as the dough would stick to my hands. I wound up with about 36-42 cookies of various sizes.

When I made the cookies today, all I did was refrigerate the dough in the bowl, and then used a 2" scoop to make drop cookies. Again, I followed the recipe for cooking time. This time, I got about 4 dozen cookies.

I don't know why the dough stayed so darned sticky. Could it have been that I used 3 JUMBO eggs?

In the end, while the cookies aren't too pretty, they taste good, and I will be taking them to the cookie exchange.

If anyone else has better success with the recipe as written, I'd love to hear about it.

Or, if you're planning on trying these cookies, maybe my story will help you.

Sorry for the long post!

Ellen

Comments (2)