SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

If You Have One, Do You Use It?

How many of you have a punch bowl and do you use it? I have several and yes we use them several times a year. I was reminded when Amber said she bought the things for the punch. I told her I would get one of them out. Our recipe is simple and have used it over fifty years.

Frozen orange juice

Frozen white grape juice

Maraschino cherries

Orange sherbet

Sparkling water

Ginger ale

and a sugar water syrup

It has been just about the only recipe they ever want me to fix.

So do you have a punch bowl and are you using it?

Sue

Comments (35)

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

I don't have one. Generally I am not a punch fan but that punch sounds good. We were at a gathering recently and the punch was as simple as Cranberry juice and I think it was a soda called twist. It was so good and so refreshing.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Years ago, when we were young married folk, it was an economic way to entertain. A lot of people could be served a refreshment less expensively. I don't remember what ever happened to the pretty punch bowl I used to have.

• Marcia Thornley
    13 years ago

I have two. The only time I've used them is when I hosted Wedding or Baby Showers. They sit in boxes in the basement.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

I used to have one. Think I used it once or twice and got rid of it years ago.

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

It's been in the attic since we moved here in January 1994....

• hallngarden
    13 years ago

sue, as a child back in the forties , the punch bowl was always on the sideboard in the kitchen. Every time mother had the "circle meeting" from church, it would be full of punch made from green kool-aid and pineapple juice, Mother still has her set, and think there are two sets. She also had the clear glass plates and would serve chicken salad in a pastry roll that she would make all from scratch. Thanks for bringing back the memories of see that punch bowl. I know where it is now, its in her sideboard in the dining room. You have given me a great idea for our dinner on Christmas day, I will make the punch as a surprise. This would be perfect as we pull out old family recipes for our Christmas dinner. Mother is in her nineties now and we do the cooking and take it to her house. We have always gathered at her home for Christmas day, so her having us at her home keeps the tradition .

• jannie
    13 years ago

I don't own a punch bowl. I remember at work, we had a nice big punchbowl. Someone always made that recipe, with the juice and orange sherbet. Love it! My 87 year old Mom still owns a punchbowl with the glass cups that hang on the rim. Though I am not at all looking for her death, I would love to claim that bowl. She never uses it. I'd put it on my sideboard and fill with flowers, pot pourri, or glass Christmas ornaments.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Two of them, one is mine the other was MIL's. Both are boxed and in the attic.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

Used to and loved it when the kids were growing up holidays turned into magic when we took the punch bowl out Thanks for the memory

• kayjones
    13 years ago

Nope - don't entertain anymore. I used to have one that I used for baby showers and church events, but don't do either anymore.

I saw one at a Goodwill a couple of days ago - really nice 'crystal' set - probably $100 new - marked $9.99. I guess folks just don't use them much anymore.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Haven't used it in years, but last time I did, I made punch bowl cake

• patti43
    13 years ago

I have my mother's punch bowl that daddy bought her the first year they were married (1938). I imagine it came from the dime store. It's a deep ruby red and has 12 cups and is in the original box (within a more sturdy box). It's in perfect condition. I mainly use it for decoration on the table at Christmas by filling it with gold ornaments. Didn't get it out this year. But I might.

It would be pretty with homemade eggnog in it.

• dollydolots
    13 years ago

I used to use it for punching down bread.
    It was a perfect size for a small batch.
    I gave it to my DD.
    Dolly

• sue_va
    13 years ago

I had two, one clear, and I also had those glass "Hostess Sets," with cups that were so popular at one time. I used them many times for those "circle meetings."

The other punch bowl was repro marigold Carnival Glass with cups hanging on the side, and matching ladle.

I put all those out in a yard sale when I downsized. I hadn't used them for quite a while anyway.

My DM made punch with grape juice, pineapple juice, ginger ale and fresh fruit. It was so good, and I still remember how the sliced bananas turned purple and I would scoop them out "just for me!"

I made a hot punch for my company on Tuesday, and will make more for Christmas Day.

**About those "circle" plates. At one meeting the hostess served the refreshments on her plates which were stacked on the table. The one I picked up was very dusty. She would have fainted right there if she had noticed it. For once I kept my mouth shut, but it was so funny, knowing her.

Sue

• tobygirl
    13 years ago

Received one many moons ago as a wedding gift; used it once for homemade eggnog; sold it a long time ago at a yard sale.

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

Sue, that is my favorite punch recipe too.

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

I think I have one someplace around here, but would have to look for it. It may be that I either sold it or gave it away.. and I only used it maybe one time...

We entertain, but just don't serve punch..

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sometimes we will have two punch bowls going, one with iced tea in it. All of my girls have punch bowls and I have four of them, a couple of them are smaller sizes. I forgot we also add thinly sliced oranges to our punch. We will also be using a punch bowl at New Year's Eve and later on for our birthday dinners. I think a punch bowl makes for a festive table.

Sue

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Yes I own one, but I am not taking it. Never used it in 38 years of marriage. Jerry can have it. LOL

Moni

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I have one made by the Federal Glass Company, and it is still in the much delapidated original box. It is the only one that I have seen like it. It is called Americana. It is six sided and has an eagle or star on the alternating sides.

I used it for eggnog last Tuesday night, but used plastic cups instead of the matching cups, since I had to serve around 50.

• ratherbegardening
    13 years ago

Mine is in the basement in a box too. What's in the sugar water syrup? Just curious in case I decide to bring it upstairs to try the recipe. lol

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

I bought one when DS was a baby. It was handy for birthday parties, bridal showers and other entertaining. Besides punch, I also used it for eggnog. I inherited my parents Tom & Jerry set but never used it. I must of sold them both at garage sales.

• wifetojoeiii
    13 years ago

We have two punch bowls and use them frequently... we host many family events and use them for margaritas, wine punch - like a wine spritzer, Manhattans, martinis and traditional punch. It is a great way to take the work load off the hostess - guests serve themselves. We rarely use the traditional punch glasses though.

hostapasta

• liz
    13 years ago

never have had a large punch bowl...I have two smaller ones that I use to make Death By Chocolate in...

• jel48
    13 years ago

I have one, that Gary and I bought on a garage sale because someone (one of the step daughters, or maybe Gary's sister) was having an event coming up and wanted one. We were planning to load it to her and then she didn't use it. Anyway, it's in the basement and I've never used it. It might be fun to pull it out for our New Year's/Christmas dinner with Gary's kids.

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I have one in the attic, along with about 30 cups that match. I bought it used at a flea market right after we moved up here because we had an open house for our builder and new friends and neighbors. I'll keep it for just in case, but doubt if it'll ever get used again. I have 2 attic spaces, so it's not bothering me to keep it.

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

Yes I have one...but I haven't used it for a long time.

I bought it the first year we were married at a Woolworths store for $3.00...

It came with two bowls that could be used alone or the smaller one could be turned upside down and the big one sat on top. Looked more impressive with the two together. Two or three years ago I was using the smaller one to serve cut up fruits in....I broke it while washing it.

So I am on the look out for another smaller bowl at the thrift stores.

patti

• kacram
    13 years ago

You guys need to get them out and use them. Who says they
    have to be used for punch?
    soups
    green salads
    desserts
    gravy (although that might be WAY too much for
    even some of you! lol)
    center pieces for dining table or coffee table
    filled with floating flowers pillar candles plants
    Christmas balls, , fill with christmas greens with
    battery run Christmas lights
    Party favors, cookies, (fill the bottom with crucnhed up
    saran wrap you don't have to fill the whole thing
    with cookies, brownies, fruit.....
    I use ours for a lot of things... all year long

• acey
    13 years ago

They are a dime a dozen at thrift stores!

Some are so pretty, but the times have changed as far as entertaining goes. We only used ours once or twice in years! I like the idea of proofing bread dough in it though!!!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A simple syrup is made with 1 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar. Heat the sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Cool and combine with the punch ingredients.

Sue

• dances_in_garden
    13 years ago

What else would we serve salad in at family gatherings?????

Dances - tee hee! And she is not kidding either.

• donna_loomis
    13 years ago

I still have a lovely punchbowl, minus the cups. While our belongings were in storage a long time ago, someone reached through a space of about 12" that was open near the ceiling between our storage space and the one next to it and actually managed to open the box and snag the cups. The bowl was too big or I expect they would have snagged that too. How mean!

But, even if I still had the cups I would probably never use the bowl. The only drink I make in large quantities is a toddy this time of year. When I was young (a zillion years ago) and used to host baby and wedding showers,it got used quite a bit. Now, I couldn't even get rid of it cheap at the last garage sale we had.

• ratherbegardening
    13 years ago

Thank you for the syrup recipe Marilyn Sue :)

• kacram
    13 years ago

" would probably never use the bowl. The only drink I make in large quantities is a toddy this time of year"
    aw... but you CAN use it for many other things!
    not just drink!

• ivamae
    13 years ago

Whether you have a punch bowl or not, this is a recipe I got from my cousin and my family just love it. It is so simple to make

Lime Punch �

1-48oz can unsweetened pineapple juice
    2 cans frozen lime-ade, undiluted
    � cup liquid honey
    � cup sugar � optional (I omit and add a little more honey)
    2 large bottles of 7 up ( the 750 ml size) ( I buy the 2 litre ones and use 6 cups)

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large punch bowl. Add lime slices if you wish and ice.
    At serving time, add the 7 up.

I actually mix the first ingredients a head of time and freeze them so that they are ready at any time. Just thaw out a few hours before you want it and then add the seven-up at the last minute.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations