SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patches_02

how big is Wal-Mart?

patches_02
15 years ago

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?

1 . At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2 . This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more From January 1 to St. Patrick's Day

(March17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears +

Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private

employer. And most can't speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and

keep in mind they did this In only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 supermarket chains sought bankruptcy

(including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

1. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores In the USA of which 1,906 are

SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

2. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur

At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

3. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

4. Let Wal Mart bail out Wall Street.

Comments (34)

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

I don't go to walmart much any more. I now live in a city, where the other options are abundant.

I prefer the hardware store, the grocery store, the clothing from goodwill! :)

Moni

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

So what ???

Probably similar $$ figures for McDonald's.

• Related Discussions

Wal-Mart Fertilizer has no phosphorus anymore.

Q

Comments (24)
    There is a huge 'dead zone' in the Gulf of Mexico. Do you really believe that it is caused by homeowners using too much fertilizer? I don't. The dead zone is blamed on runoff from farmland. If farm runoff is enough to cause that dead zone, how can it not be the cause of Phosphorus in streams and water supplies? When farmers farm, they do a very carefully analysis of how much fertilizer they need to maximize their profits. If they don't, they go out of business. They could care less about runoff if their farm is at stake. I agree with cyrus on this one; it's political. Just as with air pollution and vehicle pollution controls, it is politically expedient to force the ordinary person to bear the brunt of regulation. Businesses get a pass. For years, trucks were exempted from the requirement to use catalytic converters. They were 10% of vehicles on the road but they were creating 50% of the air pollution. Only recently were they required to clean up their exhaust.
    ...See More

Walmart

Q

Comments (19)
    The insurance thing is true in business. It is sometimes called "key man insurance". Also many companies sell these policies in a transaction called life settlements. Did you know many people sell their life insurance policies in transactions called life settlements? Many people don't need thier polices any longer, or can't afford the premiums, or have no heirs left to benefit from the policies. So instead of not paying the premium and letting the policy lapse, they can sell the policy for more than the surrender value but less than the face amount. The new investor becomes the beneficiary and pays the premiums to keep the policy in force. When the person dies, the investor collects the face value amount. It is a win-win for everyone except the insurance companies because the figure over 85% of life insurance policies will lapse, therefore they never have to pay off on the policies. The old person gets more than he would if just cashing the policy in or letting it lapse in the case of term insurance. The investor gets a great return as long as the deal is structured right. There are many variables in these transactions such as persons age, health, premium amounts, life expectancy, cost of the policy, ect. As an example of a 1,000,000.00 policy with a 75,000.00 surrender value, the old person may walk away with 200,000.00 and the investor will cash in on the million when they pass. Premiums can be all over the board depending on factors, but say they are 30,000.00 a year and the person lives for 7 more years. Now the investor has 510,000.00 of his money tied up to take in a million when the person passes. Very interesting business transaction.
    ...See More

WalMart fabric departments

Q

Comments (11)
    Mine threatened to close a few years back, and the fabric was relegated to a few bins, and sold for about $2.00/yd while the store was remodeled. I got some great fabrics during the remodel. But then they kept the fabric. The newer fabric area is smaller, but the fabrics are a bit higher quality. I was surprised, because there are actually a couple of fabric stores within 5 miles of the Walmart. I've always had to be careful with Walmart fabric. Some is excellent at a great price. Some is cheap, rough, overly stiff with sizing. One has to feel the fabric, crush it in your fist, tug on it a bit, to see if it measures up to your standards.
    ...See More

How many collect the Wal Mart quilt patterns?

Q

Comments (6)
    Here you go.......http://home.cfl.rr.com/marty/walmart.html I told one of the gals at our WalMart and she thought that was really nice that somebody took the time to post the patterns...our store also keeps one copy of that months pattern and will give you a copy if you ask..the only thing is that its not in color....
    ...See More
  • jannie
    15 years ago

I never shop at Walmart. My sister's SIL worked there for a while and was treated very badly. She is currently part of a court case against Walmart. I know they don't provide their employees with regular health insurance, instead they tell (coach) them how to apply for Medicaid/ welfare paid for by taxpayers,

• patches_02
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have nothing against Wal-Marts. Don't shop there anymore,
    made the mistake of asking the pharmacist why one of my meds was so much higher there then at *)(&(^% and he told me if i didn't like what i was paying then go somewhere else. So i did and i do. Just found the above on the internet and thought it was interesting. I actually know the manager of our local McDonald's and she said, the economy is actually starting to hurt them in our area.

• vannie
    15 years ago

I know all the bad stuff about Wal-Mart, but when I compare their prices to the grocery stores here in Tyler, I'm thankful for Wal-Mart. Their prices make some things possible for poorer people that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Vannie, I understand. I used to live in a two grocery store town. Well, one grocery store, and walmart. I would buy where I knew the item was cheaper.

Now, I am lucky and have a selection of stores to go to. There is one store that is cheaper on everything, but doesn't have two different things I usually buy. I go to a walmart market for them.

All chains are pretty much the same everywhere. That is one of the major reasons I like eating at non chain food restaurants.

I like for mom and pop places to have a chance too.

Moni

• dotmom
    15 years ago

I guess there is good and bad in all things. I worked for Walmart for a short time in the 90's and was treated very well. Now, where I live, I have a choice of grocery shopping at the local Super Value. The only grocery store for 3 towns, where their prices reflect their monopoly, drive about 13 miles to a County Market, ( really subsidiary of Super value, so the prices are pretty much the same) Or driving 25 miles to grocery shop at Walmart, where the savings more than make up for the gas used to get there. Being a senior citizen in these tough times on a fixed income, I have to save where I can. Dottie

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I have to admit I don't shop there much, but I also live in an area where there are abundant choices. My daughter just got a good job there in the buying-merchandising arena so I am grateful to them and glad for her.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. THey are good at some things, but I hate how they've gone downhill in terms of quality and selection.

I used to buy clothes there 20+ years ago before it became popular. You could go to different stores and have different selections and the clothes were fairly well made. Now I have a hard time finding clothes there that aren't trashy, don't look old before one washing, and are cute.

I don't like buying food there anymore because the generics have gone downhill and I find too much imported from China edibles. The local grocery stores often have better quality food that is priced lower than Wal-Mart particularly when it is on sale. As someone who stocks up when I find a good deal, I am not necessarily forced into buying a full load of groceries every time I shop. Also, if I shop the local grocery store, I'm not forced to hunt for food items that get moved all the time. I have much less temptation to buy something just because its there.

I don't think that Wal-Mart really is that good of a deal for poorer people. Since cheaper prices often mean poorer quality, I think people are lulled into spendng their money when they would have been better off saving up and paying more for a higher quality product that lasts longer.

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I enjoy shopping at WalMart. I don't go often because we don't have one in my little town. The WalMart I go to is clean, has wide aisles and happy customers. It's always a good experience.

• jannie
    15 years ago

My Mom buys some of her groceries there, she insists she saves money. I don't ever patronize Walmart myself.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I don't have a problem with Walmart. I worked there 20 years ago and the people I worked with were wonderful. The employees that got into the stock program (I think WM matched what they put in) about 10 years before I started there are probably millionaires now.

I shop Walmart about twice a month and get my prescriptions filled there. I don't like grocery shopping there though.. I can get better deals at Kroger between their sales and the double coupons. Although Walmart is bigger, they tend to have less selection on food products too.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I am thankful we don't have a Walmat here where I live. I have been to ones elsewhere and they are way too big. I can't find anything and feel like I walked a couple of miles by the time I am done. Have you seen those commercials about most of their products coming form China? And they have put out of business too many other small stores. I just don't like their business philosophy.
    Clare

• bearcat_va
    15 years ago

Let me tell you, I hate shopping at Wal-Mart. But I do it anyway. With diapers, organic food, and toiletries being the cheapest, why would I pay more at Target or other place? I really don't like the fact that they are such a Giant and put smaller mom and pop stores out of business. These days, though, my dollar needs to go much further.

• koda04
    15 years ago

>I never shop at Walmart. My sister's SIL worked there for a while and was treated very badly. She is currently part of a court case against Walmart. I know they don't provide their employees with regular health insurance, instead they tell (coach) them how to apply for Medicaid/ welfare paid for by taxpayersmy sister works at walmart and they DO provide health insurance.... BC/BS and the coverage is very good at low premiums
    people who work are not usually eligible for welfare/medicaid, that is for people who DO NOT work
    i cant help but wonder about this lawsuit you mention

• samkaren
    15 years ago

I Shop there. I used to be a loyal K-Mart customre but after a while it seemed like I could only get 1-2 items on my list. I can get everything (including groceries) at Walmart and I save money there.

Being in a rural area we have one grocery store. I only buy the basics/emergency stuff there because being the only store they are very overpriced. I once spent nearly $50 for milk/bread/butter/cream.

Walmart is only 5 minutes from my work so it is really convenient for me.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English."

I have a hard time believing all these "facts". Where did they come from?

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

I think I'd rather have a root canal than shop at Walmart...We have 3 Walmarts within 20 miles or so and we also have some of the rudest, nastiest people working at them...Not too long ago, there was a survey done with Walmart and 2 of our grocery stores...Walmart turned out to have the highest prices...
    I think Mr. Sam Walton is spinning in his grave to see what has happened with his dream....

• williamsburgjane
    15 years ago

I do most of my shopping at Walmart. Its cheaper than the other chain grocery stores in our area and I usually have a list of other things to buy at the same time. The employees in our Walmart all speak english so I have no problem with that.

• patti43
    15 years ago

I like Wal-Mart, okay. I just don't like crowds and parking 1/2 mile away. The stores around here hire local people, so whether people like them or not, they are keeping people employed.

I watch the stock market--mainly for fun--and Wal-Mart was one of a few, if not the only company, that made money so far this year. And I think it's great to have a store where people can actually afford to buy clothes for their kids. Maybe the quality isn't the greatest, but the way kids grow they'll be out of them before they wear out.

Wal-Mart gets a bum rap. We lived in a very small town before moving here and everyone griped about getting rid of the locally owned/operated stores going out of business. Truth is, nobody could afford to shop in them and went to Gainesville to the mall and Wal-Mart.

• donna37
    15 years ago

I shop Wal Mart and will continue to do so. Our little town only has 1 grocery store and I do shop there quite often, but prices are high and selection minimal. It's 20 mi. to Wal Mart and there's one other grocery store in that town. I shop at both to get the better price.

There's one dress shop, high priced and clothes not to my taste, which is jeans, sweats, etc. Seldom ever wear a dress and have enough in my closet to do me until I pass away.

No 'dime store' for the items that were carried at those stores for years. How I miss Woolworths, Ben Franklin, etc.

To go to a town with more than a Wal Mart and another grocery store, would have to drive over 50 mi, price of gas prohibits that more than every few months when I can shop at Aldis.

They provide much needed jobs for people in this rural area that otherwise would be on welfare.

• cynic
    15 years ago

I suspect these "facts" are like many email chain letters. Dubious credibility.

I don't shop MalWart, er, Walmart much. I don't like huge stores. They do have good prices on most things though. I am a fan and a supporter of the small businesses. They truly are what built this country. The monolithic giants are what's tearing it down. At least Walmart doesn't go crying to the Feds to get money.

And there's one thing that really bugs me these days. That's this tripe about Walmart killing small businesses.... BS. THE SHOPPERS ARE KILLING THE SMALL BUSINESSES!!! Yes, take responsibility. You and I included, want the "good deal" all the time that a small business can't give. We want to be able to cart out 50 count packages of toilet paper (well, I don't, but...) and 5 gallon pails of peanut butter thinking we're getting a good deal. If the community shopped the small stores, they'd still be in business. DUH! Here's a great example of people these days: I know a locale where a Walmart went in, and was being fought by some of the locals. It's a rather heavy-union area and the unions thought they ran the area and could control everything. Well, they didn't beat Walmart! So when Walmart opened up, they started picketing. Well it didn't slow down the bargain hunters. And do you want to know the kicker? Spouses would ride together. The union spouse would go carry the picket sign, while the other spouse went inside and shopped Walmart!!! Kind of says it all about people, and unions both, doesn't it?

• lisa_fla
    15 years ago

The manager of our McDonalds told me they are 'hurting' too. I don't care much for Walmart, we fought off a super center, but supposedly we are getting a Walmart Neighborhood Market in its place. That would be 3 in a 10 mile square.

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

There are 2 Walmarts in my city and one is much newer and larger. I don't find there prices on groceries good at all. There's competitive pricing on eggs, milk and butter with all the stores in town, so we buy milk if we are there and need it. Other than that, there prices are higher than anywhere else.

A city 15 miles from us fought for years against getting a WM but Walmart did get in. It's really busy, so obviously the whole city wasn't against it. It just saves those people driving into the next city to shop.

Now another town 40 miles away is fighting to keep WM out of their town as well. Time will tell what happens.

• Eliza_ann_ca
    15 years ago

Unfortunately it's the only dept store in my area.
    I must say the people who work at ours are super friendly and I love their return policy.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

I'm in WalMart about once a week. They have the best prices on many name products, it's clean, bright and the shelves are well stocked. For example, Tom's cereal is over $1.00 cheaper than the supermarkets in this area.

The people who work there are nicer and more helpful than at Giant or many other stores...and they all speak English.

The "secret" behind Walmart's success is really their distribution system and attention to detail. It's state of the art, and admitted to be the model for the industry.

• frazoo
    15 years ago

What I've noticed is that when a WalMart opens in a community, the roads leading to it get smoother and wider. There are turning lanes and signal lights installed.

Do they have connections to the State Highway Depts. or what??? I don't know how many small towns have wished for better roads leading into their communities to their home-owned, mom and pop businesses over the years. But, it's only when WalMart comes to the edge of town (usually it's on the edge), that the roads leading to it are greatly improved and still the downtown area is ignored. I know they expect heavier traffic when a WalMart shows up, but still...it just ain't right!

We're in the NW corner of KS and Walmart is 27 miles away in NE. KS speed limit is 65 mph and NE is 60 mph. But, the county commissioners in the WalMart town in NE passed an ordinance (law, whatever) allowing the speed limit to be 65 mph between our two towns.

Something else I've noticed. Back in the day, you'd see families shopping together in their small town, usually on a Sat. night. Now, you don't see that, but you see families shopping together at a WalMart. Sometimes they eat at a fast food place, take in a movie in a multi-plex theater, then shop WalMart where they can leisurely shop until way after dark. Something they can't do in their small town.

Leslie/KS

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

In many counties, when a big box store or shopping center requests permission to build, which often includes appropriate zoning, there is a traffic study done and the builder assumes some or all of the costs of providing any necessary road widening, curbs cut, etc.
    Local government entities (town and/or county/state recoup their costs from the taxes paid by Walmart, and the employees in fairly short time.

Businesses are tax-saver for the residents.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Around here it's as monica_pa said. Not only does the business pay for the road upgrades, but also the signal lights, other traffic control and also the electricity for operating the lights, landscaping, street lights and they also pay for staff time. Do they have connections? No. But the fact is they know they are offering something highly desired. BigBox=BigBucks

And can the other businesses get better roads? OF COURSE THEY CAN! But they probably fought it off! They usually don't want to pay the assessments.

Say what you want, but be fair and accurate at least. And don't blame the vendor for giving people what they want. I'm reminded of a convenience store who sold adult magazines and the Bible-wavers were all up in arms about it. Fact is, they sold, in that Bible-waving community!! Don't want drug dealers on your corner? Quit buying! They'll leave quickly.

What's interesting is how many areas don't want Walmart, but they DO want the jobs (yes these low-paying jobs are still wanted), the tax base, the local contributions, and the draw to the area since they also patronize other businesses. Restaurants, bars, etc, love Walmart.

I'm certainly no Walmart fan. I'm trying to remember the last time I bought something there. Been a long time. I do patronize the smaller merchants. Fewer and fewer do, however.

• frazoo
    15 years ago

You're right, Monica_pa and Cynic. I should have asked a simple question instead of making a stupid statement ;-)

Still, the merchants in the town where big box/shopping centers come to might be able to reap benefits from them locating there, but it's the towns 30 miles away that suffer. The towns that are an hour or more away still have some of their main street businesses left. At least, that's the way it is in this area.

Leslie/KS

• kittiemom
    15 years ago

I shop at Wal-Mart quite a bit. I've compared their grocery prices to several other stores in the area, & Wal-Mart is usually quite a bit less. I try to buy as much organic as I can, & Wal-Mart has much better prices on organics. They don't carry organic apples yet, so I buy those from another store. I would love to support some of the other grocery chains or local merchants more, but I refuse to pay extra just to avoid Wal-Mart. The fact is, I appreciate that I can stretch my money further there.

The employees in all of the Wal-Marts in my area are local & all the ones I've encountered speak English. In the one closest to us, a handicapped guy is employed. He's in a wheelchair & obviously has a severe physical handicap. He's very helpful & I appreciate the fact that Wal-Mart employs someone like him, because I know a lot of places probably wouldn't.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

The main reason we go to Wal Mart if for our prescriptions. I am now getting 3 months of my blood pressure med for $10 when I used to pay a dollar a pill. Quite a savings and we have quite a few prescriptions we get with them that are even cheaper than our insurance plan. Each time my wife goes she does pick up a few things that we normally buy anyway, when she finds them a lot cheaper. Last week the Libby's pumpkin was over a dollar cheaper than at our regular grocery. Our store isn't a super store, but we do find some cheap food items. The dog toys are some of the cheapest around for the things we buy like Nylabones and such.

• patches_02
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wal-Mart is a store of convenience, and that like it or not is what we all want. My grandkids use a phrase called sencya ( SINCE YOUR) already up bring me a coke or what ever. Wal-Mart is a sencya, since your already there why not go ahead and get that hardware product or fishing equipment,etc. That way i don't have to make that extra stop at the hardware or sporting goods store or what ever.
    My grandfather owned a mom & pop grocery for over fifty years. That was back when there was no way they'd let you even consider carrying your own groceries out to the car much less load them in the trunk. That was even before the small stores stayed open on Sun. of if they even did was only half a day. I can remember many a time as a child we would be having a family dinner at grandparents when gramps would get a phone call saying someone was having a family dinner and had forgotten to pick up something or someone had run out of baby milk, can you help us out. gramps would go unlock the store so the people could pick up what they had forgot in the six days he was open. He never complained or said,no. I worked with him for many years, as did my mom and her two brothers. Many a time a senior or someone without a way to the store would call and give there grocery order and we'd deliver. Remember many bad winters where we would deliver groceries on snowmobiles to many snowbound families. Those were the good old days, gone forever. Small stores can't compete with the prices, they can't order in the volumes that the super stores can. Have Wal-mart seven miles from me and i've never run into any workers that don't speak english, now on the other hand have one 15 miles from us and lots of workers don't speak english very well or just learning how.

• frazoo
    15 years ago

Another thought or two:
    Our local grocery will deliver every day to seniors or those who are temporarily unable to get out for some reason. Our beauty shops will also go to these homes to cut, wash, set, dry, comb-out hair...and they will also color it, if needed.

Also, back in the day, many of us left little ones in the car while we dashed into stores to pick up a few things. These days, that's not allowed (which is good), so having one-stop shopping under one roof is a good thing, especially if little ones can be contained in a shopping cart.

Leslie/KS