SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Now I understand why the old people flock to warmer climates...

rosemaryt
13 years ago

November 28, I flew into Illinois for two weeks for a booksigning.

The moment I stepped off the plane in O'Hare (Chicago), that first blast of cold air hit me and took away my breath. It was 24 degrees and the wind was blowing a gale. For those first book signings (in Chicago), I was parked in front of the bookstore's large double doors and every time a patron entered the store, I nearly froze to death all over again.

In Champaign, it was FOUR degrees.

In St. Louis area, it was 14-20 degrees. (It warmed up during the day.)

For all of the book signings, I was always placed right in front of the main entry and I've never been so cold in my life. It was like being told to sit in a walk-in freezer for two hours.

When I came back home to Norfolk, temps went down to 20 degrees. The daytime highs have been running in the low to mid-30s.

I don't know how you Northerners and Midwesterners deal with this cold for weeks on end. Heck, I *was* a Midwesterner and I got so tired of the cold and snow I moved away - back to where I thought it'd be nice and warm!

How do people tolerate this cold, and being house-bound during the long, dark cold winters? It's only DECEMBER and I'm ready for the spring!

And I used to LIKE winter!!!

Comments (18)