SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

Joe Paterno

sleeperblues
12 years ago

Do you think he should be relieved of his duties in light of the sex abuse scandal unfolding in Happy Valley (Penn State)? From what I read, Paterno immediately reported the "incident" to the athletic director, Curly, when it happened. However, it was obvious no action was taken as Sandusky continued to molest boys for another almost 10 years.

I know if I knew something like that was going on, I would have made sure that scumbag never touched another young boy. Apparently, everything was covered up. I think Paterno should go.

Comments (62)

• katlan
    12 years ago

I think every single person involved, EVERY SINGLE one of them should be fired. And I don't mean let them resign with their pension, full benefits, etc. I mean fire their asses flat out, no money whatsoever, no benefits, no nothing. Throw them out. And that college is going to pay a sh!t ton of money to those boys, as they should. It won't change what happened to those kids, but hopefully it will make the school help clean up their reputation and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

I think that's the only way the school will even have a chance to salvage their reputation. Slam everyone involved, HARD. All they were worried about was the program, the winning, the money to be made. I'd like to ask all of them how they would feel if it would have been their son.

• cate52
    12 years ago

I will not be surprise when more victims come forward. And I know that PSU will suffer financially via the fan base and alumni base.

• Related Discussions

best all white rhody for semi shade in zone 5b

Q

Comments (2)
    There are several good whites to choose from. I'm assuming that KS is a pretty stressful climate for any rhododendron, so you're looking for something hardy and tough. Given that, it would be hard to beat the classic hybrid Boule de Neige. Pure white, extremly hardy, sets lots of buds and doesn't grow leggy. Two other possibilities: Crete, a David Leach hybrid that has pale lavender flowers which rapidly change to pure white. The plant has indumentum inherited from its yakusimanum parent. This and Boule de Neige were the only two whites to fully bloom after the January 04 no snow, high wind, low humidity and -15 temperatures. Wynterset White is another excellent white that grows vigorously and blooms heavily. Its leaves hang down beneath the flowers giving them a very attractive overall look. Birdsong72's suggestion of Calsap is a good one and would certainly be an interesting complement to the dark purple. This is not in my experience as hardy or tough as the others. I'm also not sure if my picks will bloom at the same time as Lee's Dark Purple.
    ...See More

This Is What Penn State Is. So Proud

Q

Comments (9)
    My kid was there last night too. For those who don't know, this money is largely raised by "canning." If you don't know what that is, picture thousands and thousands of Penn State kids fanning out across the state, staying in each others' parents family rooms and basement floors, and spending the weekends standing on street corners and curbs, holding out larger than normal coffee cans (the kind coffee used to come in, before Keurig and the like) and collecting donations from drivers' and passers by. They do it in the freezing cold, they do it in the rain. Each 'squad' of canners is matched with families that they form relationhips with, that they stay in touch with, and they know the kids they're collecting money for. This is how that huge amount of money gets raised. Not via fancy dinners or rich patrons but by kids standing on street corners in all weather all over PA. The force of these kids' shared commitment to this charity makes life better for many. What happened with Sandusky and the like sickens and disgusts me but there are good kids there who did not riot and were caught in this as bystanders and there's much much more to Penn State than the scandals.
    ...See More

Halloween party tonight and I am making....Caramel Cheetos!

Q

Comments (10)
    "What exactly are Cheetos?" Cheetos were invented to torture health food nuts past the brink of insanity. Try as they might to block the craving for useless cheezy temptations Cheetos invades their pleasure cells causing a serotonin/dopamine cascade resulting in total addiction from just one orange dusted nibble. Even causual addicts can be spotted by the tell-tale orange coloring of their thumb and forefinger. Hopeless hardcore addicts may even sport an orange ring around their lips. ; ) lyra Here is a link that might be useful: the cheezy facts
    ...See More

NCAA virtually kills Penn State Football -

Q

Comments (22)
    When we send our young men & women off to college we are trusting that the college will provide a safe environment for them to live and study in. It would be bad enough if those activities were perpetrated on campus from someone from the neighboring community, but to have it done by members who are officials of the school is beyond contempt, and when it first came to light, those very same ppl who we are entrusting to protect our children were more interested in protecting their precious football program and their public image is an outrage. If it were left up to me I would root out every member of the Penn state faculty and management who had any knowledge of the activity and didn't report it and immediately and very publicly fire them and seek all avenues to insure those ppl are never in a position to interact with children again under any circumstances. Never mind worryinhg about their football program, I wouldn't care if it required shutting down the entire university if that is what it takes to protect our students.
    ...See More
  • lynn_d
    12 years ago

There are lots of folks, including newspapers, calling for the resignation of Graham Spanier and Joe Paterno. And I agree with it. They knew about it, the prosecution should have happened when it was first discovered. Joe was wrong in not doing so, perhaps this is why keeps donating so much money to the church. Trying to cleanse his conscience with cash.

Cate52, they are asking for more victims to come forward. PSU will suffer, as they should. Shame of them.

• cardamom
    12 years ago

I was about to write but what wildchild wrote says it all. All to protect a football game. They may have rationalized their roles over the years but all who pushed it away are scum.

• User
    12 years ago

Men seem to turn away to these kinds of truths because they don't want to get involved. In this case, their jobs are so lucrative that they let these kids suffer out of greed. I say, get rid of them all. Sports figures need to be disciplined publicly for their actions. There is plenty of abuse to women as well from these guys.

This is sickening but then again all of these kinds of cases make me throw up. Now, I hope parents will, yet again, talk to their kids about adults putting their hands on them and being too friendly. The kids should have their own set of guidelines. You have to bring it up in your own way.

Though, I never said anything, when my kids were growing up, about their mentors I kept an eye on them and said no to any away trips without me. I kept it to my self but everyone was suspect in my eyes. I don't regret it one bit.

BTW, Penn State is the most expensive state school in the country now. This will definitely affect their bottom line.

• chisue
    12 years ago

All who can be charged must be charged. Paterno and the 'eye-WITLESS' student should go. Why did this investigation take TWO YEARS?

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

when they don't have to pay Paterno's salary and perks, the school will be able(not that they will) to lower tuition.

The news is reporting this afternoon that they are working out Paterno's "resignation", and it could happen any day. Big problem is, he just signed a new contract last year.
    They probably can't fire him because of contract clauses, and it might cost a big bundle to fire him.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

The local paper, Patriot News, in a front page editorial called today for the resignation of both Paterno and Spanier. Another victim came forth Sunday night. He lived in shame and told no one when it happened. I hope the school gets sued for millions and millions..and I hope my grandson doesn't continue the PSU tradition in our family.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I hope that they are all shamed into resignation and that Penn State is forced to suspend their football program for a year. But the latter won't happen. I guess we all need to speak up and tell the colleges and universities that the sports programs are supposed to be EXTRA curricular activities!

Do you all remember the duPont Foxcatcher mess? Jon duPont murdered David Schultz, an Olympic wrestler? Friend/clients of mine knew them both, and they knew there was something wrong with duPont, he groped the kids and went way beyond what is acceptable (even for wrestling). They pulled their teams out of Foxcatcher immediately but many left things be because of the bucks and the schools and wrestling federation turned a blind eye. How sad is that?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"The graduate assistant who reported it to Paterno is now a member of the coaching staff according to what I've read."

Mike McQueary, who was that GA and saw the shower incident in 2002, was given a full time coaching job at PSU in 2003.

How he could take that job AND keep quiet all these years is beyond me....

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

LuAnn, I don't doubt that is WHY he got that job...scarey thought that he is charged with instilling good sportsmanship and moral values to young people isn't it?

• kris_zone6
    12 years ago

So much for the 'old boys club'.

• bunnylover21
    12 years ago

I am from PA and grew up in a town about 1 1/2 hours from State College. Needless to say, lots of my friends are PSU graduates. It had stirred up alot of talk and feeling for so many.

But someone posted something that reminds me that the other real losers are those young men who are currently playing on the PSU football team. They are caught up in a mess they shouldn't have to be. They have to go out and play in the middle of all this. Sad.

• dirtundermyfingers
    12 years ago

I don't really know what to say. First I think that the chain of command was followed, it is too bad that something wasn't done earlier though. When I was in College at Nebraska Graham Spanier was the head man at school, I have to admit that I was never quite fond of him and was glad to see him go.

Stacie

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

It would be different if this was based on rumer etc but I understand there were eye witnesses

• brightonborn
    12 years ago

This story is going to be as big as the sex abuse scandal that rocked the catholic church trust me..Paterno and the janitor who witnessed the raping of the young boy deserve to be made an example of. What disgraceful human beings they are.This went on for 10 years that we know of just think of how many poor young men were at the mercy of this degenerate pedophile.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I really think the school should be punished and thought sanctions were the only way to go but I guess the students are the ones that will be hurt but that. I do think the the NCAA rules regarding scholarship student transfers needs to be set aside for these players so that they can change schools and escape the mess if they so desire.

Those involved need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law but I imagine they will get a slap on the wrist and lose their jobs. They should go to jail and have to support and work with molested and abused children. Let them see what they helped perpetuate.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

He was fired. Sad for all envolved--students, parents and what about coaches and leaders involed in other sports and other programs. Did they even know anything? and what about other colleges and even H.S? How much of this goes on that we the public are not even aware of.
    Just a thought.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

So far Paterno and the university president have been fired. A sad ending to an apparently sterling career. But something has to be done with these men and their institutions who do not put the protection of children as the primary concern in child abuse situations. As I said to my DH as we talked about this during dinner, I think the country is fed up with the Catholic church leadership who put their careers first rather than the safety of the children of their parishes. And now it is time we show as a nation that we will not tolerate those who would tolerate such criminal activity.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

I went to PSU and am deeply saddened at how many many people are going to be affected by one man's inexcusable actions. (although I think many others acted deplorably in his wake!)

My feeling: there is a whole lot more about this story coming....but, Joe had to go. Regardless of his innocence/guilt/level of involvement. He would be a massive distraction at this weeks game.
    You will see a record number of security personel...it is senior day and I suspect they will rush the field. Damage??? More than likely.

I am disturbed that Joe and administration did not at least suspend Sandusky until the allegations were proven or dismissed. It reads horribly as if the group at large was protecting the organization more than the young boys. I read part of the report on ESPN...So many people knew about this man's REPEATED innappropriate behavior...parents, leaders at 2nd Mile, PSU officials, police....WHY, WHY, WHY was this man allowed around children??

I cannot shake the feeling that the football program and THEIR reputation was more a priority than those boys.

Wait to see if some police don't swing for this too...

I will burn my PSU hat and shirts if that's how it turns out.

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

"I cannot shake the feeling that the football program and THEIR reputation was more a priority than those boys."

I so agree sal......how could they let this go unreported. I know there are people who are saddened but Paterno had to go. How could he not say anything and then to comment, "I should have done more.......That's sick..

• vickij
    12 years ago

I also find it horrifying that the students are rioting, overturning cars, etc. in defense of Joe Pa. What are they defending? Sad. Very sad.

• dotmom
    12 years ago

Those immature rioting students just goes to show...not all collage students are smart. Where is the rioting for the kids that were raped. I'll never understand the 'sports above all else', mentality. Look at almost all newspaper...page after page about a schools sports team....do you ever see anything about academics? Go into any schools hallways, and there are glassed-in cases with trophys and certificates...for the sports team. Not for academics. In Minnesota our schools are going to hell, classes are over crowded, teachers have to buy their own teaching supplies, but is it ever mentioned to cut or reduce the sports programs? Noooooo! And even though there are people going homeless and hungry...all we hear about is "we need to pay for a new billion dollar stadium" for the over paid ball jockies and their multi-millionaire owners. Geesh, why can't the people of this country get their priority's straight !!!

• cate52
    12 years ago

The riots started after the announcement at 12.20 am.. So how long had those 'students' been out drinking? quite some time, I imagine.
    I suspect any mother/wife of any current/former coach, graduate assistant, former player will be wondering.. was this man ever alone with my son? Not to mention, all of those who came into contact with the charity, Second Mile or attended any football camp...
    Here a brief coaching history -- along with the fact that he had adopted 6 children and also was a foster parent..
    Played for Paterno at Penn State
    1966 Penn State grad assist
    1967 Juniata assistant
    1968 Boston University
    1969 Penn State defensive line
    1970�1976 Penn State linebackers
    1977�1999 Penn State defensive coordinator
    After retirement, he hosted many football summer camps.
    After I read this in Wipkida, I had to agree with Paterno when he commented on Sandusky's indictment " If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers."
    It's not easy to become a foster parent/adopt a child.. but good grief -- why no followup inquiry?

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Most of the clueless student protesters regard JoePa as GOD. Heck, they even interrupted network TV around here to have a special Bulletin and rehashed 15 minutes of the firings. It's way deeper than Joe, Curley, McGreery, Shultz. Everyone knew . You don't think these people talked. McGreery is the one who should go next. He was a strapping football player who saw Sandusky having anal intercourse in the shower with an 8-10 year old who they never identified. Did he run over and punch Sandusky in the mouth? No, he ran home and told his daddy and coach Paterno. All of them should have called 911 and many abuses would never have happened and the pervert would be rotting in jail as he should be. Almost 20 have now come forward.

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

I come from a football loving family BUT, we all agree, it's time for all these schools, not only Penn State to get their priorities in order....Just here in my town, we do indeed have a multi million dollar HS stadium, our players are treated like kings but when it comes to accademics, that's 2nd on best......

One of my sons graduated from PS as well as 3 grand sons, none were connected with football, thank goodness...They got an excellent education and have done very well and right now, that "Penn State Pride" is terribly tarnished......

I just read some of the indictment and it does indeed make you sick in the stomach.....Everyone involved should be held accountable...I just keep thinking, how could someone, knowing or seeing what happened, not do anything about it...How do they sleep at night?????

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

lily316 - I said the same thing about McQueary....he was a grown man. I seldom condone violence, but when he saw Sandusky sodomizing a chid...well let's just say some beatings are justified.
    I honestly dont think I could keep myself from absolutely going ape s**t wild. I would be arrested, but sleep well.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I don't think you would be arrested , salgal. Punching an old pedophile in the face while he was raping an 8 year old would certainly be applauded. I have been spelling McQueary's name wrong, but in today's paper there was a big article about him. He's 6'4"' 225 pounds and he was 27 years old when he saw this taking place in the showers. I pictured a younger kid. And he's still an assistant coach to this very day.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

He was 28. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: McQueary

• cate52
    12 years ago

Gads...McQueary didn't realize that the young victim could have been his son?
    Evidently an earlier DA who investigated an earlier incident has been missing for so long, he was declared dead.
    I'm hoping the police confiscated Sandusky's computers..

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

I'm so glad the regents didn't let Paterno stay on long enough to receive standing ovations, etc. from misguided fans.
    He express sadness that he was fired, with words that accept no responsibility on his part for the many children who may have escaped Sandusky if he had been reported to PROPER legal authorities.
    If Paterno had done this he would be a true hero - now he's leaving as a coward.

• neesie
    12 years ago

I was stunned to see the rioting and overturned vehicles as a result of the students demonstrating at Penn State. Were they upset that dozens of young boys were molested? No, they were protecting their sports hero (Paterno)! Unbelievable. They just wanted business as usual. Ignorance is Bliss. It makes me sick.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I believe that the right thing to do was to let Joe Pa go. They (trustees) had to do that and they did. What really burns me is that I have heard Paterno's name mentioned hundreds of times more often than Sandusky's in relation to this case. The press should be hounding him, not the Paternos.

• neesie
    12 years ago

Paterno was as guilty as Sandusky if he knew and chose to do nothing. Could you sit quietly by?

• chisue
    12 years ago

I'm not crazy about Nancy Grace, but she nailed it on GMA this morning, saying, "Where were the students overturning cars when they heard about the ten-year-old being raped?"

This is so all-around heinous! It's sad, but every adult working closely with children has to be prepared to be cleaner than clean. Pedophiles seek opportunities to be near children. They look for the loner, the kid whose parents aren't paying attention. They *groom* their victims then abuse them.

Makes me ill to hear what a wonderful man this Paterno is. He was no real man when a man was needed to stop this -- and what else?

• sleeperblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried to read the Grand Jury indictment, and I could only get through a few pages. Absolutely sickening, those poor boys who were no more than babies. I hope Sandusky gets plenty of loving when he ends up in the big house. What a sick, sick scum.

I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg. This is going to hit law enforcement and a dirty DA.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

This IS only the tip of the iceberg. Lawyers will be very busy for many years. Sandusky has been at it for decades. The victims will be coming out of the woodwork as they should. They should have just compensation for these atrocities.

• dotmom
    12 years ago

I don't understand why I haven't heard anything about firing the guy who actually SAW that pervert raping a little boy and thought it was enough to mention it to one of his higher mucky mucks. I wonder if his having such a good job as an asst coach a form of payoff for keeping quiet. It was said that he won't be at the game Saturday....for his safety !! STILL, STILL, they are protecting the guilty men. At least I'm starting to hear smatterings of people mentioning that sports has gotten too big and more important than....well, important things, like educating people at a SCHOOL.

• sleeperblues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have read stories regarding what should be the fate of McQ, Dot. I think he will be gone.

• paula_pa
    12 years ago

I am dumbfounded that he wasn't fired outright with Paterno. He was the eye witness! He was an adult! Frankly I blame him more than Paterno. Being the eyewitness, he had even more of an obligation to report it to the police.

• cate52
    12 years ago

Today's news [Veterans' Day] had several points. The demonstration that began peacefully & then turned into a riot has videos being inspected for the persons who started the riot.
    Yahoo Sports Minute reported that Cars.com has removed it's sponsorship of the ESPN broadcast between Nebraska & PSU and also of the following week's game between OSU & PSU.
    ESPN analysts could not understand why McQueary still had his job [although he'll not be at the game] but speculated [as have lots of others] that the entire situation is not fully developed and that may play into why he still has his job.
    The local papers are interesting to read and have more info than the 'bites' you see on tv.

Here is a link that might be useful: Philly.com sports pages

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

here's a scary one....

Here is a link that might be useful: jerry let go in exchange for cover up.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

ya know what I would like to see tomorrow?

Penn State hike the ball, take a knee and the entire team walk off the field.
    No one wins.

THAT would be a show of support.
    It would show that the victims are more important than a game.
    The men on the team would have a platform to acknowledge they recognize and understand that a game is never, ever more important than life.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

:::snort:::

THAT would never happen!
    Football is church in Happy Valley.... the game IS more important than life (or at least the lives of those poor kids....).

• chisue
    12 years ago

salgal -- If that happened it would be interpreted as support for the 'great man' who's been fired.

This situation is a great reminder of the tenet that our worst failings are not what we have done, but what we have failed to do.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Since I have been involved with Penn States for decades , first in the 60's when husband was there and then in the 80's when my kids were, I was astounded at how football is revered and the most important thing on campus. It's mindblowing for a non football fan like me. Ramifications from this scandal are going to be felt for years. The investigation is just the beginning and many heads will roll. I heard about Sandusky pimping out young boys to rich donors back when that story broke. McQ is a poor excuse for a man. A spineless wonder who in his idolization of Paterno let this little boy fend for himself enduring anal rape. McQ was almost 30, 6'4'' 240 and he walks away and calls daddy? Daddy is connected to the team as well. Paterno knew and is toast in my book.. And where oh where is Ray Gricar who heard SANDUSKY ADMIT HE DID WRONG AND WISHED HE WAS DEAD. aND THAT WASN'T THE WORSE OFFENSE and WHERE WAS mRS sANDUSKY WHEN THESE LITTLE BOYS HAD SLEEPOVERS AND ACCOMPANIED THE FAMILY TO BOWL GAMES??..Sorry for the caps..typing too fast.

• katlan
    12 years ago

It's a shame the team has to suffer. Whether they decide to kick the whole program out or whatever, the players shouldn't be punished for what others did. I agree with OP's wondering why the hell isn't McQ fired? At least fired. So, if I understand it right, a year after McQ witnessed this he's hired as part of the coaching staff. I wonder if it was to keep him quiet, or if he blackmailed them for a job.

I know doctors and other professionals must legally report abuse, but do individual citizens? Are they charged legally if they don't?

If they want to save their school, they had better can every single person involved. As it is, the amount of money this is going to cost Penn State will probably ruin the entire school.

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I only heard the beginning of a news story last night (was getting out of the car and was late!) but it seemed that the team was suggesting that the fans all wear white to the game this weekend to show support of Paterno??? And, the school had suggested that the fans wear baby blue to show support of the victims?

Did I hear correctly? Does anyone have any more info about that? I'm not trying to fuel anything or start anything, just hoping that I heard wrong.

• mare_wbpa
    12 years ago

I agree with Katlan. Why punish the athletes for the sins of the coach and an assistand coach. As horrible as the crimes were against those abused, there were no infractions that I know of, that had anything to do with the Athletics. My prayers are with those poor kids, who were the victims.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I think there are two factions up there...the students who support Joe and the ones who support the victims. The white is for Joe, and they are selling navy shirts with a child abuse symbol for students to wear in support of the victims. Since it's pretty cold now, I don't know how visible either shirt will be. .