SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Oh, Great! Another Medicare Choice to Ponder

chisue
12 years ago

I've been trying to decide which Part D plan to buy for 2012.

DH and I currently have good secondary medical insurance from his former employer. For 2011 we had a plan that paid *everything* Medicare would not, except drugs. I'd thought we'd get that plan again -- and again add a Part D.

Saturday we received his former employer's list of choices. They have a reasonably priced plan that has both medical and drugs, but it we would pay the 20% copay on medical. I think this is what used to be called an 'advantage' plan -- the insurance company handles everything; Medicare A and B are folded into the insurance coverage.

I have to think this all through AGAIN! (And try to guess what will happen next year.)

In 2011 neither DH nor I had a lot of *medical* bills for the supplementary to pick up. However, we both have expensive *medications*. The medical-plus-drug plan is about a quarter of what we'd pay for no-pay supplemental plus a separate Part D plan because we'd pay so much out of pocket for medications. (The Part D policies' premiums are relatively cheap, but DH would be in the gap in four months.)

We're going to confer with reps at our Senior Center, but I thought I'd bore y'all with my vent. (I AM grateful to have Medicare and the reduced-premium policies offered to retirees by the company!)

Comments (11)