SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Natural deodorant

Chi
12 years ago

So, I'm generally one of those people who doesn't really trust "scientific studies" as the basis of what I should and shouldn't put in my body. I know there have been many studies showing that there isn't a link between breast cancer or Alzheimers and the use of deodorants/anti-perspirants but I don't really buy it. There are way too many young women being diagnosed with breast cancer to make me think there isn't some sort of correlation given the proximity of the breasts to the armpits and lymph nodes. Even if I'm wrong and there is no link, I'd rather be safe than sorry!

However, every single "natural" deodorant I've ever tried has made me STINK to high heaven. What's a girl to do? Suffer the social stigma of being the smelly one, or potentially risk your health using conventional products?

I have found a solution and I thought I'd share for anyone who might be interested! I'm doing the sniff test right now and I'm passing with flying colors! Here's the formula:

1. Swab a light coat of Milk of Magnesia on the armpit area

2. Dip the damp cotton ball in baking soda and rub it over the same area

Voila, done. Simple and no more smelly, no more aluminum or parabens or scary things you can't pronounce. As an added benefit, most of our diets are severely lacking in magnesium so this could actually beneficial. I've done a lot of research and haven't found anything to indicate that this product isn't safe, aside from the warnings that too much can cause problems. However, this is a very thin film that you apply, much, much smaller than the recommended internal dosages for constipation! But I recommend you do your own research. I also recommend you buy your own box of baking soda for this or you might end up with some interesting flavored chocolate chip cookies next time you go to make some. I keep mine in the bathroom.

Oh, also I've found the Phillips brand has another additive but the generic store brands (I used Albertsons) is just the magnesium and water so I recommend those.

If anyone tries it, let me know how it works!

Comments (18)