SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

My cousin was killed this morning

12 years ago

My sweet, loving, kind, beautiful, cousin, Christy, was killed at 12:45 a.m. today in Michigan

She was coming home from work on her bicycle. She was hit by an SUV at an intersection and was killed immediately.

I have cried until my mind and body are both numb.

My beautiful little cousin. Willowy, red-headed, kind, loving. And gone forever.

She leaves behind three sons, two daughters-in-law, three grandchildren, and me.

Folks, pick up the phone. Call those long-lost cousins, grouchy aunts, great-nephews, and childhood chums. Tell them you love them. Keep telling them.

How do I go in the kitchen and continue to cook? Her boys will never have another holiday with her. Her beautiful grandchildren will never really know her; they're too young to even remember her. She'll never write a long letter to me again? Yes, she still wrote long, newsy, drawing-enhanced, snail-mail letters.

Comments (68)

• 12 years ago

Caroline, I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one!

• 12 years ago

I want to let you know you are in my prayers. It's a horrible tragic thing to happen.

Shirley

• Related Discussions

How to kill morning glories?

Q

Comments (10)
    They are a pain in North Carolina, but you can pull them or hoe them when small. However, re roundup: I often use roundup almost like a hoe on a calm morning. I make sure that the spray is a fine spray but not a mist that will hover and I spray almost at ground level certainly up to only a foot away from beans or whatever. A couple times I have used a cardboard shield in one hand and nozzle in the other and been right up against plants vs. weeds in my iris garden etc.
    ...See More

What's killing my morning glories???

Q

Comments (2)
    Ipomoea hederacea is sometimes susceptible to a type of rust that spreads from conifers(like pines) which act as the intermediary host for the rust... Susceptibility to the rust varies with the species of Ipomoea and even particular strains... Copper sulphate may help... TTY,... Ron
    ...See More

Help killing morning glory/wild buckwheat

Q

Comments (5)
    All plant poisons are as effective, and work as well as, cutting these plants back to deprive the roots of nutrients they need to keep growing, and cutting the plants back is much less expensive and much more envronmentally friendly. These plant poisons, glyphosates, 2,4,D, Dicambra, etc. are all known to create problems with "lower" forms of life that might be an indication of what we are doing to our children. Keep any new green growth from these unwanted plants cut off and they will die out, eventually, just as spraying them repeatedly with poisons.
    ...See More

My favorite cousin needs ypur prayers.

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm so sorry! Your cousin has my understanding Prayers. This widow journey can be hard and downright scarey at times!
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago

I too am so sorry for your loss!! Please accept my sincere condolences for you and her family.Prayers being said for all.
    Kathi

• 12 years ago

My heart and prayers go out to you and your cousins family. What a tragedy .

June

• 12 years ago

I'm so sorry for you Caroline. She obviously meant a lot to you and you were close. That's a great picture of her.

Please get through the holiday as best you can. Your DH and Harry and Sam hold you close (and slobber all over you)
    ((((Caroline)))))

• 12 years ago

An awful loss. Hugs to all family at this terrible time. I'm sure she will be with you all in spirit and her love will never die.

• 12 years ago

I am sending the biggest hugs to you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss, that is an awful thing to have happen at any time of the year, much less a time when we are supposed to be thankful.

Hugs.

• 12 years ago

Oh, Caroline, I'm so sorry

• 12 years ago

I'm so very sorry to read this, Caroline. Maybe the rote activity of cooking will help your brain cope at the moment. Give yourself time to come to grips--do whatever feels right for you. What a terrible, terrible tragedy!

(((((Caroline)))))

• 12 years ago

I'm so sorry. Please accept my prayers and sympathy.

• 12 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Caroline. I hope you can find some peaceful moments in the days and weeks ahead.

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry...I can not imagine the pain you are all going through. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• 12 years ago

Caroline, when you have pulled yourself together a little, go back into your kitchen and cook. Because thats what we do, we put love in food and food is comforting.

These unexpected deaths are so hard with no time to prepare at all, your pain must feel almost physical.

I am so sincerly sorry for your loss, and for her children and grandchildren. The grandchildren will know her through you, you can share how special she was and how very much she loved them.

• 12 years ago

i am so very sorry.

• 12 years ago

What a terrible loss, I am so sorry.

• 12 years ago

Caroline, I'm so very sorry.My heart breaks for you and all of her family. I wish mere words could take the pain away. Again, I;m so sorry.

• 12 years ago

Such a sad story for both families involved.

• 12 years ago

Sending my condolences for the loss of your cousin. And hugs to you.

• 12 years ago

I too am so very sorry.Prayers going out for you and your family.

• 12 years ago

Caroline
    Sending Hugs to you and your family

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• 12 years ago

How awful, Caroline. I'm so sorry.

• 12 years ago

I'm so sorry. ((((Caroline))))

• 12 years ago

Make tomorrow a day of being Thankful for all the wonderful memories she left for all of you. Take time to remember good times you had with her.

I know it doesn't make the sadness go away. But it might give you a few memories that you've forgotten about.

Write them down and cherish them.

She's a beautiful person. She looks happy in the picture...like she enjoyed life. Remember her like that.

• 12 years ago

Somehow you will find the strength to get through this, but I can't even imagine what a tragic shock it must be to you and all concerned.

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry. My prayers go out to you and your family.
    (((Hugs)))

• 12 years ago

Carol, I'm so very sad for you; your posting is a lovely tribute to your cousin. Peace to you.

• 12 years ago

Sending you and your family special thoughts and prayers.

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry Caroline. What a tragedy.
    May your sweet memories of her comfort you

• 12 years ago

So very sad -- my sympathies. I hope you can get through Thursday remembering some good stories about you two.

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry....

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry Caroline...

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

• 12 years ago

I am so very sorry! Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• 12 years ago

Sincerest sympathies Caroline-to you and all of your families.

• 12 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss Caroline

• 12 years ago

How sad, I'm sorry for your loss.

• 12 years ago

Awwww, Caroline, what a loss. I'll keep you and yours top of mind during the coming weeks. I'm so sorry.

• 12 years ago

She was a beautiful woman. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm just so sorry.

Rose

• 12 years ago

My sympathies, Caroline. This happened not far from us and has been in the paper. They speak of her as a "good mother, very friendly, very talented, could sing real well and played the guitar." She sounds very speciial, and I'm sorry for you and all the family in your grief.

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear cousin Caroline! Hugs and prayers.

Sue

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, and my prayers are with you and the family.

• 12 years ago

Caroline...my deepest sympathies for your loss...she looked like such a fun person and I know you're hurting so bad now...I hope soon you'll be able to replace your grief with good memories and maybe you can fill in for her as grandma/Mom...

• 12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, Caroline. What a sad thing to have happen.

• 12 years ago

I want to thank everyone for all the kind words, thoughts, and prayers. You are all so very kind.

I'm going to put one foot in front of the other and probably finish preparing the meal we have planned for Sunday. I don't think I'll be able to make the trip to MI but I've not ruled it out yet. I'm trying to route myself using the ferry across Lake Superior; I mentally cannot drive through/around the Chicago area ever again. I nearly died there last winter. I don't suppose it would do the family any good if Christy and I were both gone.

Lindie, yes, Christy was an amazing woman. For years after her divorce she supported herself and her three sons completely with her karaoke business. She sang like an angel. She was at every school event for her boys.

One of her sons served eight years in the Navy and is now married and lives in Las Vegas; one son lives in Florida, and the youngest is in college on a baseball scholarship.

Her darling baby, Robert, was born with heart defects and spent his first nine months in the hospital. Christy was there every single day. He came home and was a happy, healthy baby for several months before he died. She prayed for him and thanked God for him every day from the moment she first knew he was living.

After I can function and think more clearly I'll post a biography on my sweet cousin.

She had her demons to fight. An alcohol-related DUI caused the loss of her driver's liscense a few years back. She was never involved in a DUI accident, but she was driving "oddly" and was pulled over. She knew her faith and will power would overcome this problem, too. She was getting back on her feet, saving money to pay the fines and get another car. She worked all the time once the youngest son left for college. She had her "real" job and then also did interior house painting, cleaning, and "decluttering" type jobs. She was always on the go.

The photo above was taken when she was on a break while painting the interiors of an entire apartment complex.

She was using her bicycle to get to and from the job when all the events merged into one horrific crash at an intersection.

The young man who hit her was not drinking; she was not drinking. It was dark and raining. He did not see her; she was zooming down a hill and couldn't stop in time. They both swerved, and now, we don't have her to inspire and console us.

• 12 years ago

I just saw this Caroline and wanted to send my condolences. How terribly sad. I get so frustrated at how so many of the "good" die way too soon and of course the "others" go on and on.

Sounds like you have a lot of memories to cherish. I completely understand how devastated you must be. The last thing you probably want to do is cook. So you know what? If you don't feel up to it, don't. If you want to do it for therapeutic value, think of it as a memorial to this sweet lady.

Take care my dear. You have all of our support. Grab Sam & Harry and give them a hug for support and tell them you need them to understand. They will. They'll support you too. My best to you, your family, and her family and friends too. If you go to the funeral, drive carefully, take plenty of time and plenty of breaks. Best wishes to you all.

• 12 years ago

Caroline, I am so sorry for your loss. Looking at her picture, one can see how beautiful she was, inside and out. My condolences to you and the rest of her family.

• 12 years ago

Deepest sympathy.

• 12 years ago

Caroline, I am so sorry. I guess I need people on the computer right now also.

• 12 years ago

Dear Caroline, this is so sad and tragic for you all. Your sweet and talented Christy will be sorely missed.

When my DD died before Christmas in 2000, it helped me to continue with the dinner plans more than I thought it would.

(((((Caroline)))))

• 12 years ago

Oh Caroline, I am so, so sorry. Hugs to all who loved her.

Jodi-