SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

How do you keep sliced apples from turning brown?

pammyfay
12 years ago

I've been surfing the web to find an easy, cold party food idea to take to work; the boss lady is turning 50, so we're all bringing in light treats to mark the occasion. Already spoken for on the sign-up list: lots of baked goods, dips, chips, salsa, hummus/pita chips, crudites (that's usually my fallback! as is a dill dip, but it contains raw onions and she won't eat raw onions, so that's out.)

I thought of doing a fruit platter and came across this recipe.

Now I know that pretty much almost immediately sliced apples start to turn brown. (What's the chemical reaction to air that does that?).

Anyway -- pls read this recipe in the link. One of the steps is to place the sliced apples in a Ziploc with half a cup of orange juice, coat them well and then place them on a drying rack.

I've heard of sprinkling lemon juice over sliced apples -- I guess orange juice uses the same acidic properties to keep them from turning.

I'd be horrified if I took this in to work and realized all the apples were brown! Before my last plane trip, I sliced some apples, put them in a container and put them in the fridge. In the morning, they were brown -- I guess the container was not 100% airtight. Maybe I should just put the apple slices, after the draining, into a Ziploc and take them to work that way?

Here is a link that might be useful: apples w/cream cheese-honey dip

Comments (10)