SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melaniesc_gw

Wanted to say Thank You

melaniesc
13 years ago

I wanted to say thank you to the generous amount of emails I have gotten over the last day or so, it really touched my heart.

Sweetie is at peace now, she was put down very early yesterday morning and buried in my backyard now under her favorite tree. We are now focusing our energy on grieving and trying to get our other dog Lily through this time, Lily is 1 1/5 and sweetie was her all of Lily's life, so she is lost and confused, but we are taking good care of her, We will be fine. Once again thank you for the thoughts, prayers and love you have showed me and sweetie, both her and in emails..

Comments (28)

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I have been so sad for what you have been thru. It was obvious you loved her very much and tried everything to keep her alive and get her better. Will your vet do tests or an autopsy to see exactly what happened to make her so sick? I've been there many times and eventually , she'll be a dear memory to you after the initial gut wrenching grief. Maybe down the road , you can get another buddy for Lily.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

My heart hurts for you Melanie. I know oh so well what it is like. No matter how many times you have to face the loss of a beloved pet, it never gets easier. In time, and sometimes it's a very long time, you can look back and think of all the little things that made Sweetie Sweetie and it will bring a smile to your face. You have seven wonderful years of memories and nothing can take that away from you. ((((Melanie))))

• Holly_ON
    13 years ago

Sending a cyberhug. You are in my thoughts.

• melaniesc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lily, they did an atopsy, the vet said it was probably something she had for very long time, she had entire GI Tract necrosis, there were some holes in her bowels that were leaking into her abdomen and some peticial hemmoraging, toxicity unknown, He said it wasnt anything she ate, and had he known earlier we would have put her down, but there was no way of knowing, every test she had came back normal.. He said what we did was great and we did nothing wrong. Not knowing what was going on, we tried what we could..

• chisue
    13 years ago

Mel -- So sorry for you loss. Our DS had a wonderful pet, adopted from a shelter so we never knew his age. This dog too *suddenly* became sick, VERY sick. The vet operated, but there was nothing to be done. The vet said Dakota's intestines were malformed.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

Min is gone 2 years now I still think of her daily,I have a big 11x14 picture of her here at the desk,they are family.Fact I would place my dog in my home quicker than some relatives.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Well I'm glad you have your answer. You did what you could and so did your vet not knowing what was really going on. Sweetie is at peace now. I hope you soon will be too.

• Toni S
    13 years ago

Bless your heart Melanie.
    Time will heal your heart and Sweetie will always have a place in it.

• katclaws_mo
    13 years ago

(((Melanie))) I am so very sorry for your loss & all you've had to go through. I hope your happy memories of Sweetie will bring you & your family comfort.

LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
    I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
    "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
    You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
    I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
    I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
    I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
    I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
    To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
    In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
    and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
    I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
    Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.
    Author Unknown

• organic_donna
    13 years ago

katclaws,
    Now I can't type through my tears. Melanie, I can't find words to express how my heart aches for your loss. You did all that you could and your baby is now an angel. Animals are so helpless. That's why they are so easy to love. It is so sad when their lives are cut short. Maybe you can find comfort in knowing what a good parent you were to Sweetie. You gave her a good life and she was a happy dog. We are all thinking of your loss and greiving along with you.
    Donna

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss, Melanie, but do know that you did what you could for Sweetie. She knew how much you loved her.

• always_learning
    13 years ago

He said what we did was great and we did nothing wrong. Not knowing what was going on, we tried what we could..

Of course you did nothing wrong!! You did everything you could, and MORE! Sweetie must have had a wonderful life with you, and I know the emptiness you are feeling. ((hugs)) So sorry.

The old saying of "Tis better to have loved and lost then to have never loved" rings in my ear, but it hurts so badly!! My sympathy to you.

• janine_in_bc
    13 years ago

My sympathies, I understand how hard this is on you.

• taigen_gw
    13 years ago

I know first hand how very hard this was to do for you, but know that sweetie is at rest now. So very sorry for your loss.

• nanny98
    13 years ago

(((((Melanie))))) I will be thinking of you on this sad day. I am so sorry that Sweetie could not be saved. Nanny

• Kathsgrdn
    13 years ago

I'm glad the vet clarified for you that you didn't do anything wrong. What a horrible feeling you must've had thinking you did or may have. Some people should think before they post. ((((Melanie))))

• mariend
    13 years ago

Just sending hugs and am sorry you went so much.

• kacram
    13 years ago

(((((Melanie)))))

• zeetera
    13 years ago

My heart goes out to you with what you went through, and what you and your family (Lily included) are enduring.

I hope the pain eases soon.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, keep remembering all the good times together. It never is easy but sometimes it is just what has to be done.

• samkaren
    13 years ago

((((Melanie))))

That poem says it all...your Sweetie will always be with you.

When my EKO died we too buried him in our backyard. And each time we moved I had DH dig him up because I was not leaving him behind. I still put flowers by his little marker.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I'm really sorry for your loss, Melanie and I'm glad that you have answers and peace of mind, that will help a lot in your grieving process. I've been where you are more times than I care to count, so trust me that it will get easier as time goes by.

• Jeane Gallo
    13 years ago

Melanie, I've been praying for you and Sweetie. You've been in my thoughts and I'm so sorry for your loss and all the pain you are feeling now. It will lessen, but it won't go away totally. It just won't hurt all the time, except when something happens that brings it back. Right now my throat is closing up, because I'm thinking about losing my dog and my cat. It's been over five years now. Animals have brought me some of my greatest joys and my deepest sorrows. I cannot imagine not having a pet. I will tell you what did help me through my grieving process. After the first week or so, sit down and write something in tribute to Sweetie. It made me feel so much better. Here is what I wrote for my dog, Gus...
    Somewhere above my little dog waits;
    He patiently sits at a glistening gate.
    His eyes, once clouded, are shining and clear;
    His ears, long deaf, prick when my voice he hears.
    When he sees me, heâÂÂll bound high and low
    On legs that used to be stiff and slow.
    Instead of a collar, he wears a circle of light;
    HeâÂÂll welcome me Home, and all things will be right.

• Jamie_MS
    13 years ago

My heart is broken for you Melanie. I am glad you got some answers from the vet. Big hugs for you!!!

• hallngarden
    13 years ago

Melanie, please know that I care. Know you loved Sweetie so very much. It has been 18 years since we lost our little sweetie, and I still shed tears for that little face. I care.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Hope you are able to function today. I read yesterday that the grief you feel for your loyal companion many times exceeds the grief you feel for relatives who die. Sounds callous but it's true in my case. I think in the weeks and months down the road you may find another heart to love and be a companion to your Lily..(I have a cat named Lily)

• lindaohnowga
    13 years ago

Melanie, I've followed your postings, and silently prayed for both Sweetie and for you. As a furkid mom to many over the years, I've gone through what you have gone through and I know the hurt, followed by the empty feeling you have right now. If Sweetie could have spoken, I think she would have said, "Thank you for loving me enough to end my suffering and I will see you again later." I firmly believe we will in time be reunited with all loved ones, human and animal. I send you hugs and prayers for comfort.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your wonderful Sweetie. We lost our Tootie in March and I know how much it hurts. I will keep you and Sweetie in my thoughts.

(((Nora)))

"Grieve not...'nor speak of me with tears
    But laugh and talk of me as though I were beside you...
    I loved you so
    'Twas Heaven here with you"