SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Insulated drapery over door? Too tacky? Or not?

caroline94535
10 years ago

Continuing the saga of the Little House of Horrors on the Prairie...

This house is cold. The furnace will, eventually, be replaced. The axillary heater helps, but this is North Dakota and when those blizzard winds howl...

We do not use our front door. People gravitate to the mudroom entry which is seen from the driveway. They can step into the mudroom, remove boots and hang coats before coming into the house proper.

We do not use the front door all winter. While it will be replaced, some day, it won't be this winter.

The door is metal; it actually gets icy on the inside at times. It is radiating cold into the room. We keep the thermostat at 66-68 but sometimes it takes a lot of propane to get it there. We wear proper "winter clothes" and are comfortable, most of the time, but still the propane expense is terrible.

I want to weather seal around the inside of the storm door, (it won't been seen from the outside) close the front door, and weather seal (or stuff batting) all around the inside of the front door.

I could then install a drapery rod at the top of the door frame and hang thick, full, insulated drapery panels over the door. I'm considering maybe using a quilt as the "drapery."

The two windows in the room have blinds only; no drapes. I won't be putting drapes on them since I know the pups would keep them dirty at best and shred them at worst.

They are hunting dogs and when stray cats or kamikaze squirrels run across the yard the guys loose their minds. While their manners are good under normal circumstances, there are times...

Would it look too "odd" to have a full-length drapery hiding the door and its frame?

Would it be warmer?

This post was edited by caroline on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 12:29

Comments (37)