SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Do You Satisfy Food Cravings?

lazypup
12 years ago

Although I have no scientific evidence to support my theory, it is my personal belief that our bodies know what chemicals and suppliments we need to conserve good health and when the body signals the brain that we need something, the brain will in turn review all the things we have eaten in the past that contain that specific chemical or nutrient.

By example, we may go for months and never eat a banana, but all the sudden we have a craving for them. It is my opinion that the craving is actually telling us we need potasium, or perhaps allof the sudden we are craving liver or beets, that is actually craving iron.

About a year ago I went to a doctor and she said that since I had not previously been to a doctor in over 25 years, she was going to give me a full physical to determine my general state of health. After three days of exams, EKG's, EEG's, MRI's, Ultra sound tests, and repeated blood work, not to mention stool samples, urine samples, stress tests and a sleep study, the results were finally in.

In the final interview with my doctor she asked, "What do you eat?", to which I replied "Anything that don't eat me first. My only reservation is that I don't eat any fast foods or prepared food, I buy basic ingredients and cook all my meals at home where I have control over what goes in the pot", to which she replied, "whatever your doing, you need to keep it up, you have absolutely the nutrition related results that I have ever seen in a person your age, in fact your blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar numbers would be excellant for a 20 year old athelete, in fact, if your good cholesterol number drops 2 points I am going to put you on a diet to bring it up.

I then shared my theory about food cravings with her and she said that she had never given it much thought, but there is probably much more to it than even I realize and perhaps it should be studied further.

Last week I had a followup checkup and my doctor says, "Remember when we were discussing your theory on food cravings? I have since discussed it with a number of my colleagues and we are now in the process of setting up an official study through the university."

Comments (22)