SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jae_tn2

Amazing spot/stain remover!

jae_tn2
10 years ago

We have been using this for a few weeks and it has removed everything it has been used on - red stuff, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, grease - to name the tough ones. Supposedly it will even work on spots that have been through the washer and dryer.

Here it is:

3 parts hydrogen peroxide to 1 part blue Dawn. Put it in a spray bottle and soak stain then wipe off with a soft cloth!

Comments (33)

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Hydrogen peroxide is the active ingredient in Oxyclean = oxygen (non chlorine) bleach.

I wouldn't call it amazing, what you've done is just another way to do the same thing with the same stuff.

• Related Discussions

How do I remove this spot from my carpet?

Q

Comments (5)
    You may have to try a few different products. DiDi 7 was supposed to be good but I didn't find it worked as well as on tv, it helped.. Then I tried some OxiClean and that helped some more.. then I tried some Folex and that helped..I still have a large ink stain on the beige carpet but it's almost gone.. I just keep trying them every few weeks and as time goes by the stain seems to be going. Without knowing what the stain is made of is it's a guessing game.
    ...See More

Thanks for the spot remover recipe

Q

Comments (10)
    Okay....this recipe has been posted many times and I truly believe all of the accolades. It still makes me nervous, though. Why does the hydrogen peroxide that I use on my teeth and gums a couple of times a week bleach my towels if I'm careless but won't do the same to clothing, carpeting, etc.? Does the liquid detergent alter the chemical composition of the peroxide? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.
    ...See More

Removing orange mold spots

Q

Comments (9)
    I noticed that Rob and Rose recommended peroxide, and I have made up a spray bottle of 2 parts peroxide to one part blue Dawn for spot removing laundry. So I used it, and let it soak 30 minutes, and most of the spots were gone before I even washed them in detergent and borax. I had about 2 or 3 spots that survived, so I treated them again and added Oxyclean to the wash, and that took care of them. I returned them to my DD today. She can iron them with her fancy Rowenta iron!
    ...See More

repairing finish spotted with nail polish remover

Q

Comments (24)
    "Acetone, toluene, and methanol are the basic ingredients of lacquer thinner. They are toxic and should be used in a well ventilated area." And some other hot solvents also, but these are the basics. Methanol is the most dangerous of the lot. It is easily absorbed through the skin and the body metabolizes it to formaldehyde. It preferentially damages the nerves in the retina. Acetone is the least harmful, with toluene not being very dangerous for short term exposure either. The biggest problem is they stink pretty badly. If the finish is actually lacquer you can probably just re-melt it by using an artist brush and some lacquer thinner. You will not use enough thinner to be a hazard. It will only take a few drops spread carefully on the finish and allowed to evaporate. It is unlikely you would be using more than ¼ teaspoon.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Terilyn, sorry, I try to share my thoughts and experiences as do others. I'm guilty of having a Type A personality but hopefully not much else, though I guess I'm 0 for 2 tonight.

Long ago, when the internet was young, many people thought it a good practice to use other than one's own name in public forums. Some made up names, others chose favorite characters or variations of same from books, movies, etc.

My favorite two cartoon characters, from the same series, were Dudley Do-Right (of the RCMP) and his nemisis Snidely Whiplash. I thought Snidely was a better choice than Dudley, Do-Right, or Whiplash, but it does sometimes lead to my being tarred with the wrong brush. It's also my email name.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I can't use oxyclean..it irritates my skin.

But I can use hydrogen peroxide. I also only use blue Dawn...so...

Thanks Julie, for that tid bit..I will try it..

I like using white vinegar and Dawn for bathroom cleaner..
    It works great on my glass tile back splash in the kitchen..especially behind the sink..with all the water splashes..

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I should probably know better than to stick my nose back into this thread, but one last thing:

Vinegar cleans and disinfects because it's acidic. Soap and detergent are alkaline. A mixture of the two would be more neutral than either is alone, from a pH standpoint. I believe the combination may likely be a less capable cleaner than either part was on its own.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Jae, how is it that the H2O2 doesn't bleach big spots into the items you're using it on? I've learned the hard way to keep colored items away from it. I use it as an oral rinse, and also dip my toothbrushes in it before storing. I have to be very careful about my towels....try to keep all white hand towels at the bathroom sink.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I use the vinegar and Dawn, but I don't find it cleans as easily as people claim it to. I really have to scrub, and I find the smell of it very strong, and not pleasant.

With 2 long-haired cats, I have cat yak on my carpets. What I habitually grab is my concentrated homemade laundry detergent (washing soda, borax and laundry bar of soap).

I've seen posts about the peroxide and Dawn and wondered about it bleaching.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

jasdip, just spray a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the "cat yak" (yucky!). Let it sit for a few seconds, then scrub with a toothbrush. Wipe with a clean white cloth and BAM, you're done. It's that easy. It hasn't bleached our carpet or furniture. But, I don't add Dawn. I would if was greasy? H202 also can clean up blood in the same manner. Don't wipe up blood. Drop a bit of hydrogen peroxide (man that is long) on it, and then dab up with a cotton ball. Also really good.

Straight ammonia is my go to cleaner when I am not spot cleaning. Showerhead looking down in the mouth? Ammonia in a sandwich bag, tied to it, and then rinsed with running water from the shower head. Dirty jewelry? A coffee cup with a bit of ammonia. Swirl it around in the cup, and then rinsed. Even better if you use a soft toothbrush for the tiny areas.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Jas, I agree about the smell. I use a plastic scrubber on my shower/tub..but just an old micro fiber on my back splash.

Snidely, I appreciate your how/why it works. Perhaps if you had started with your second post, your comments would be received with less bristle?

I have a 16 yr old that is very linear, and brilliant, he too responds should he decide to "bother", much like you did/do. :)

I often remind him that I (and many others) know he's smarter than I/we..but he needs to be respectful and thoughtful of presentation of his knowledge. Lol, just had that conversation last night again.

He's a bit like Sheldon Cooper. lol... Except super heros are stupid..but he does expect to end up with a Doctorate in Physics and a Masters in some kind of engineering.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I just have to bounce in and say something. JaeTn simply posted something that worked for her and she wanted to share with the rest of us. The person who pointed out this is common knowledge was not merely expressing herself or her self-described Type a personality,, she was critical. As Thumper said "If you can't say something nice, don't say nuthin".

• jae_tn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks jannie, for your nice comments! For the doubters and others who disagree, that is your prerogative. I shared it because it has yet to fail me and I am a spiller! I dropped a tomato slice down the front of a pink sweatshirt and later got soy sauce on the same shirt. They both came out instantly. I have used it on navy blue, brown, cream and light and dark gray with no bleaching, which was a concern I had before I used it.
    The mixture was given to me by a nurse who uses it for blood stains and says she has success with grease and dirt that her husband leaves for her to clean.

By all means, skip on by this post rather than let it be a source of controversy! I probably should not have shared this knowing that it would drift off into comments that were not pertaining to it's intent. I'm not selling either Dawn or peroxide and won't be held responsible if it doesn't work, nor if you feel it has an adverse effect on your clothing. I have never tried it on cat yak or on carpet. If I left out any other disclaimers I am sorry. Try it or not, it doesn't matter a bit to me!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I'm seriously considering adding Dawn and adding it to a sprayer because of your post. So don't worry about me, you helped me.

:)

P.S. Not only have I tried H2O2 on cat stuff, my upstairs neighbor swears by it for her dog. So animal stuff is easy to clean with it.

• eccentric
    10 years ago

Thanks. I will try it. I am pretty sure I have seen blue Dawn in Canada - and since we have an Eskie dog you can bet I have the hydrogen peroxide on hand. Now if only my husband wouldn't keep opening the bottles - he doesn't seem to grasp that once a bottle has been opened it looses much of its effectiveness as a skunk smell remover ingredient. Of course I had to explain to him that when you "spring forward, fall back" with the clocks that you don't change your alarm! And he is not dumb - but I do have to wonder. One thing for sure though is that the dog will know the about the time change.

• matti5
    10 years ago

Jae tn, thanks for the tip! With 1 dog and 2 cats, I am constantly cleaning up stuff. I will be mixing up a batch today!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm going to give it a try....but I'm a fraidy cat! My husband is a terrible spiller.....unreal. I'll do some spot tests on his shirt tails to test the color.

• jeaninwa
    10 years ago

Ok, if a shirt or other apparel has a stain that hasn't come out with any other treatment, what harm would it do to try this, bleaching a spot or not? The clothing is trash anyway. I get so many grease spots on shirts from cooking, eating etc. I'm going to try this for sure. Better than having to throw a shirt out because it has a small stain in an "inappropriate" area, which is where they usually are...

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Has anyone else noticed a big of unpleasant odour arising from all of the yakkin' that's appeared on this thread's carpet, these days?

o j

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Usually? For me, the word is always! That is exactly the spot to where they are drawn. Dang grease spots, how do they know?

;)

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

LOL at all the comments.
    Almost every nite I hear an "oh, oh" and hubby is looking down on his shirt. Yep, there's some portion of dinner.....pasta sauce, mustard, gravy, you name it.

I will definitely try this, both on the carpets (sigh) and on hubby's shirts.

Eccentric, we can definitely get the blue Dawn here. Dollarama carry it, as does Freshco.

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

snidely, you most likely suffer from Asperger Syndrome.

I did try the dawn and vinegar on my shower tile that had soap scum on it and it actually caused the scum to become white and it did not remove it at all. It's like it turned it to wax or something...it was weird! If you use a scrubby pad and just plain old dawn, it cleans the scum great.

Check the H202 in a closet first for your carpet but it probably will be color fast and not bleach. Probably be OK as long as the carpet isn't really old. Do not ever use ammonia on carpet, this will bleach out the color!

Use the concoction on underarm yellowed stains too! Which reminds me I need to do that!

I've heard the mix does not keep, is this true? In otherwords, you need to mix it fresh each time?

• debbyga
    10 years ago

I found this miracle stain remover on Pinterest, and it truly gets anything out: 1 tbsp. Dawn
    2 tbsp. baking soda
    4 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide

I actually mix it in an empty Dawn bottle and use 1/4 cup of Dawn, 1/2 cup of baking soda, and 1 cup of peroxide. I keep this in the laundry room and use it on every stain. It's the best thing I've ever used. It works on all fabrics. You do need to shake it before using because the baking soda settles to the bottom.

• eccentric
    10 years ago

jasdip - thanks. I thought I had seen the blue Dawn so I will pick some up - tomorrow - the rain and wind is something else in Toronto today.

debbyga - now that you have added baking soda to the cleaning formula we are very close to the skunk remover recipe. My dog's groomer uses it - but also starts off with plain white toothpaste - apparently that really does the trick. So far the skunks have given my white Eskie a pass - heaven knows why.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Equal parts of regular strength Dawn and Peroxide mixed in an old Shout bottle is all I have used for about 3 years on laundry stains... It has always taken out every single stain for me and has never bleached or lightened a dark item of clothing. I agree that it is amazing.

As for the Dawn and Vinegar mix for the shower.. that is all I have used for quite some time also and find it works fantastic. My shower has the non skid bottom in it and soap scum is hard as heck to get off of it. I bought a spray bottle at Walmart, in the mop section that sprays with authority, right side up or upside down. I just start at the top of the shower and soak the entire area and let it sit... one thing I really like about this mixture is that you can spray it then go off and do other things and it doesn't dry in a few minutes like other spray on cleaners. Then I come back and scrub it all down and rinse out.. looks good as new.

Before I heard about the Vinegar/Dawn mixture for the shower I used Oven Off oven cleaner in the Blue can, yep It the shower, it works great. The blue can has less fumes but still has some fumes.

The vinegar/Dawn mixture will keep mixed in the spray bottle, I mix up the entire bottle at a time. You will have to shake it up as it does separate some.

Maybe because it works for some and not so good for others is the type of bath soap a person is using?... I do know that Ivory is one of the worst for causing soap scum.

Just my two cents worth here but both mixtures work great for me.....

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I did learn the hard way that I can't pre-treat a stain with my homemade laundry detergent. It bleaches the clothing, if I apply it and let it sit for days.

Can the peroxide and Dawn mixture be left to sit on the item of clothing a few days or more, before I do laundry? I often forget to treat a stain just prior to washing it, then it doesn't get treated.

• susan_on
    10 years ago

I used the peroxide and Dawn mixture that I read here on a towel DH got spaghetti sauce on last night. All but one tiny, faint trace of it was gone...and I really had to look for it. Fabulous!

• jae_tn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jasdip - we have never washed anything immediately. The clothes stay on me, lol, or in the wash until the next wash load.

susan - glad you were pleased with it. I dripped butter on a lavender sweatshirt yesterday and we sprayed it immediately. After it dried there was a faint trace on one spot out of three so she sprayed it again and put it in the washer for a load next week. It will surprise me if isn't all gone.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Well, that did it. I'm going to make up a batch right now and try it on a particular white t-shirt of hubby's.

I noticed some grease stains on my dark green sweatshirt last nite. That's when I thought to ask if it could sit for days.

Excited!

• littlebit_gw
    10 years ago

My daughter told me about this mixture a couple of months ago and it is all I have been using. I keep a bottle of Dawn and a spray bottle of peroxide in the laundry room. When I find a stain I spray the peroxide then dab the dawn on it and rub it in. I have used it on my carpet ( hubby dumped a whole can of used grease on it) and several stains on all colors of clothes. It has gotten everything out so far.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I did a load of whites and sprayed every little spot that I could see. They came out fabulous! I've since sprayed the carpets, yes, more cat yak. They also look great.

I haven't yet sprayed my dark green sweatshirt that has some grease spots. I think I'm still a little nervous using it on such a dark colour. By the time I need to do a dark load, I will just prior to washing as a precaution.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Okay so I made it and used it, we tried it on my sil's white top that had orange soda spilled on it. She tried everything. I sprayed it to drenched and waited ten minutes then rubbed it under cold water. The shirt was pure white, we were thrilled.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

So does this same "recipe" work on arm pit staining?

Or is there a different "recipe"?

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Terri, I just checked hubby's white t-shirts that I washed yesterday. I know that one of them had yellowing on one armpit that I sprayed, and I can't find the yellow at all now. So I would say that yes, it works.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Thank you.. I am going to mix up a batch and spray everything..lol...
    The sweatier the boy..the worse the pit stains!

Lol

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert