SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Einstein Coat...a knitting question

sooey
15 years ago

Hi Kids.

I have a question for you knitters. I know I can post this over at the knitting forum but thought I would try here at the KT first.

I am making the Einstein Coat as found in Alexis Xenakis's book, The Knit Stitch. I have a question on how to count the ridges of the garter stitch. Have any of you made this coat? If so...I have a question.

sooey

Comments (18)

• sooey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, it's not Alexis Xenakis's book. The book is by Sally Melville. Alexis took the photos.

sorry

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

If it is garter stitch, it should be knit every row, or purl ever row.

You count either the ridges, or the valleys to know how many rows you have.

Does this help?

I have no idea about the Einstein coat.

Moni

• sooey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Moni,

I am making this pattern in a childs 2-4. It's cute, fun and very fast. I am to knit in the garter stitch until I have 21 rows of ridges. I count these ridges on the right side of the piece, right? I'm sure that is correct but as always...I over think it.

Thanks, Moni.

sooey

• Dash2
    15 years ago

Do you know how to identify the front side from the back side when you do garter stitch? Look at the very bottom of your piece. The right side, the edge with look like a smooth, stright line. The back side will be bumpy, just like all the other rows.

Find you smooth edge, then count the ridges from there.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I think you have it right, sooey.

Yarnlover, aren't you talking about stocking stitch?

• Dash2
    15 years ago

Nope. Knit every row is garter stitch. But no matter what stitch you do, your cast on row always has a straight edge on the right side.

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

"no matter what stitch you do, your cast on row always has a straight edge on the right side."

But couldn't that depend somewhat on the method used to cast on?

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

No, no matter how I ever cast on, the cast on side is smooth.

But, usually you cast on, and then do "row one". Thus, this is not necessarily the way to count row one.

"no matter what stitch you do, your cast on row always has a straight edge on the right side."

Moni

• sooey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used the crochet cast-on for this piece.

This coat is made using only the knit stitch, not a purl stitch in the entire project. You start at the bottom of the coat by making what looks like a very long and wide scarf. Each row of this piece starts with a slip stitch. Those slip stitches are what you use to pick up to add the other parts of the coat, top, back and sleeves. You need the exact number of rows which is why I need to be very careful in how I count the ridges formed by the garter stitch.

Thanks for your help, Kids.

sooey

• Zipper_TX
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is right and it makes it easier for me to count:

Each ridge equals 2 rows when you count garter stitch. So if you have 10 ridges you have knit 20 rows.

HTH ;0)

• sea_shell
    15 years ago

I also didn't know what an Einstine coat was so did a search. WOW here is a site that may help,seems Sally Milville post there.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Einstine Coat hints

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

What Zipper said.

• sooey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

Thank you for all your help with my problem. I went to the knit shop this morning and we worked it out. It took three of us, but we did it. It was ME, over thinking it, AGAIN. In the end I was not able to follow the pattern exactly...I had to give a little...not an easy thing for me to do. Think I'm a bit of a control freak? But now, all is well. I am on my way to picking up the stitches for the first sleeve.

Thanks again, Kids. It's nice to know that there are so many knitters at the KT!

sooey

• nookie
    15 years ago

Hi Sooey!

I had a look over at ravelry and saw that tons of people have knit this coat. I'm sure that if you do a search over there you can find lots of tips on how it was worked. Good luck!!

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: einstein coat at ravelry

• sooey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Karen. I had heard about Ravelry but had not gotten around to checking it out. Thanks for the link!

The Einstein Coat is very fun, fast and easy...as long as you don't over think the counting. I am about to pick up the stitches to knit the sleeves.

Ravelry looks like a great site. Thanks.

sooey

• Dash2
    15 years ago

I did an Einstein for myself, a few years ago. It's not so quick and easy when done in jumbo size. I should give it a go in the baby size. I got caught up in the baby surprise mania. It would be a good idea to give something else a try.

Sooey, the important thing to remember is to always apply the same methods. No matter which way you count your first piece, continue to count the other pieces following the same principles. That way, you assure yourself that sides will match.

There's no right or wrong. Only what works. :)

• sooey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Yarnlover,

Yes, no right or wrong, only what works. As soon as I finish this little coat I will have that experience and, be able to apply what I have learned, what works and what does not work, to my next Einstein. And, you are right, the same method of counting the ridges throughout the entire piece is very important. I was counting the ridges only after they were complete and off of the needles...two rows. And of course, you get a different # of stitches with the right and wrong side of the piece. But what I found was that in order to have the correct # of st slip stitches along the sides of the upper fronts and back, my last ridge needed to be counted as it was still on the needle with the final row being the bind off. Does that make sense? I am sure that I counted only complete and off the needle ridges when I counted them for the 'skirt', but, it worked out. I came up with the correct # of stitches when picking up for both of the top sections as well as for the back.

I now apply the 'no right-no wrong' thinking when I make my socks. I was a bit obsessive about them, had to be perfect in every way. Now many, many socks later the 'best I can do at the time' is just fine. Do they fit? Will they hold up to years of use and washing? Perfect!

Thanks for your help. Yes, you should make another Einstein. I would like to make the Baby Albert Bunting. Sooo cute!

sooey

• sooey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kids,

I just now came across this posting while searching the net for others who have made the Einstein Coat. I searched, found what I thought would be an interesting post with good convo and bingo...it was from the GW,KT and it was my own. giggle that!

I am about to begin an adult size Einstein Coat for myself. As always, I am thinking it through completly before I dive in. Yes, I can hear you all groan...more like OVER THINKING...yes you are correct...over thinking, indeed.

As I begin this project...have any of you made it since our conversation 4.5 years ago?

sooey
    who finished her child size Einstein and it is adorable.