SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronf_gw

Do you see what I see?

ronf_gw
15 years ago

We have this sugar maple in the backyard. It's where our son was married in June. The last couple weeks it's been very pretty. Now the winds this last weekend have been stripping away the leaves.

{{!gwi}}

Now that it's nearly bare I noticed a large paper wasps nest way up in it.

{{!gwi}}

Ron

Comments (9)

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

Eww, are you going to knock it down this winter?
    JoanMN

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Is that pile of wood going to last thru the winter?

• wifetojoeiii
    15 years ago

Love your windmill! The trees in Western NY are just beautiful - we have 5 maples & they are golden, like yours.

About your wasp nest - my DH would wait until after a feeeze, knock it down & burn it...

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I believe it is actually a hornet's nest.

• ronf_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, chemocurl, it does look like a hornets nest. It's pretty neat looking. I'd like to keep it; if I could do it safely. My brother may have some insecticide "bombs" for greenhouse pest control. I could use one of those. They're nicotine based and are lit so they produce a toxic cloud.

I enjoy our windmill, too. It's no longer used. There is a submersible pump in the well now. Dad had to change it in the late 70's. It had to do with dairy regulations. It was okay to push the water out of the well with a pump but he couldn't pull it out with the windmill. Government regulations at their finest.

It should be enough wood, glenda. There are 5 rows under the roof. One each for Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. and March. I usually have some leftover. Soon I'll start cutting for the next Winter.

Thanks for looking.

Ron

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

I'd leave it. Wasps are very beneficial...eating caterpillars, etc. It's so high up in the tree, I doubt they would ever bother anyone.

• socks
    15 years ago

Someone donated a hornets' nest like that to my elementary school science room. I've had it hanging from the ceiling for quite a few years. Hornets are the first papermakers, you know. The nest is made of paper which they manufactured. Mine has been buffeted by the air conditioning and is in movement whenever the air is turned on, and yet it still hangs together. Quite a testament to their building skill.

• alisande
    15 years ago

That nest is a thing of beauty. If only hornets weren't so aggressive!

What kind of woodstove do you have? When we first moved into this house we heated entirely with a Jotul woodstove in the living room and an antique coal cook stove in the kitchen. Eventually we sold the coal stove, moved the Jotul over to the barn to use there, and bought a bigger Jotul. We kept it going all winter, day and night.

I haven't fired the stove up in years. I've been afraid of fire since I've been living alone, but in recent winters I've begun to think longingly of the coziness of a small fire in the Jotul. It's near my desk and would keep me warm without burning a lot of heating oil. My son installed a new fireproof mat underneath it last week and informed me that we have lots of well-seasoned firewood. I had the chimney inspected two years ago. Do you think I need to get it inspected again before I use the stove? The chimney also serves the oil burner.

Anyway, I had planned just to tell you I like woodstoves. :-)

• ronf_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Susan,
    I have a Heatwave brand woodstove that is at least 30 years old. I have replaced the fire brick in it recently. I heat primarily with wood. The stove is in the basement very near the stairs so the warm air circulates easily. The basement stays so nice and cozy warm. And that's where my office and computer are. Lasdt Winter I used about 200 gallons of propane in addition to the wood. Not bad for a Minnesota Winter.
    I'd have your stove and chimney checked before using just to be safe.

Ron