SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

front loading washing machine recommendations please

OklaMoni
15 years ago

Dear KT members

Could those of you with a front loading washing machine tell me all about it? Tell me why yours is the BEST, or why you wish you had a different model.

My daughter and son in law want to get a set of washer and dryer, and asked me for a recommendation. Since I don't have one, I can't.

Thanks in advance

Moni

Comments (23)

• pawsitive_gw
    15 years ago

Make sure you put it on a pedestal!! Save your back. Wish we could do it now, but the dryer is hardwired in and the washer would cover the water outlets so DH is reluctant to do it. Siggghhhhhh.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

I love my front loader. It saves lots of water and I use very little detergent. I have Frigidaire from Lowe's. I, too, wish mine were on a pedestal.

• Related Discussions

Need help - - front load washing machine (water & mold).

Q

Comments (50)
    I have a Whirlpool FL now for about 4 years. I always wipe out the boot or gasket whatever and remove and drain the dispenser tray so no issue with mold. However, recently, I notice when I am wiping it out, there is a lot more water in there. I've tried to figure out what is going on. Nothing has changed, I did not move the machine, I'm doing the same size washes and all... I did come across a youtube saying to take a q tip to clean out some holes.. I really don't see them but it makes sense. Anyone have a dummies diy guide I could try? I'm convinced it shouldn't be a big deal but I am toying with calling a ((gasp)) repair person. Among my searches, this thread came up.
    ...See More

need top loading washing machine recommendation

Q

Comments (33)
    We have a top loader GE Profile. I think the loads take way too long. I also have to use extended spin to cut down dryer time or I have to turn the dryer on at least twice. Repair guy had to come out a year or so ago for something with motor and drum. I forget what all was involved but I do remember him saying he was surprised it didn't dump water all over the floor because that's the end result. When the time comes I like to replace with a SQ. I stayed away from front loaders since there isn't an agitator and potential mold issues.
    ...See More

TOP LOAD Washing machine recommendations!

Q

Comments (0)
    Curious as to what everyone has to say. I have a front load right now and am not interested in purchasing another. I am not sure whether to buy a top load with an agitator or not. We are a family of four that includes 2 teenage boys and my husband. Any thoughts or suggestions? Btw, I am in Canada! TIA
    ...See More

LG front load washing machine

Q

Comments (30)
    Thanks for sharing Rita. My inner laundry nerd is happy now! Amazing, isn't it, how quickly you can see a difference? I was stunned too when I got my new washer a couple of years ago. I wish you many happy loads of laundry going forward! FYI, I usually have to order powder Cheer and Tide with Bleach from Target or Walmart as my local merchants don't have it most of the time. I can get powder Tide (regular) from Costco when they are not out of stock and sometimes it's on a $6 coupon, which is nice. There was no powder Tide at my Costco for a couple months within the last year and I kinda hit the panic button there. haha
    ...See More
  • cindyb_va
    15 years ago

I have a 9 year old Frigidaire from Lowe's also; and my only regret is not getting the pedestals. Besides the water saving, my favorite feature is that I can wash queen sized quilts at home, versus taking them to the laundromat, as I had to do with my top loader.

I have no regrets getting them; if I needed to replace them, I'd buy the same set again (but with pedestals).

• gadgets
    15 years ago

My Whirlpool front loader is a little over 2 yrs old...so far no problems. I've only had one top loader in my life. When it bit the dust, I only looked at front loaders.

Shirley

• patches_02
    15 years ago

I have the maytag neptune 111 and love it.Uses little water and soap.Don't have the pedestals but didn't want them. I would have had to bend over if it was a regular dryer.

• hayjud_mn
    15 years ago

I have a set of Bosch, and I love it.

I chose not to get the pedestals because I didn't want to give up the working space on top of them. Remember if you use the pedestals for storing your laundry supplies, you will be doing plenty of bending over for that stuff and some of those drawers aren't deep enough for tall containers. That space is best for storing seasonal things or things not used often.

My machines do a GREAT job of cleaning the clothes and I love the saving on water and detergent.

One of the features that I really love is, not having to choose a water level. It puts in as much water as needed, no matter what size load.

I also like the way you can fill the washer really full of clothes.

The one problem I have found is in the way the clothes tumble in the dryer. It is only a problem with large items like sheets or blankets. They tend to "roll up like a cacoon." I need to stop it in the middle of the dry cycle and unwrap the sheets.

My set is sitting on a tile floor and they tend to move a bit.

I would highly recommend front loaders!

• sjerin
    15 years ago

I have to warn you away from an LG; my neighbor has one (2 years) and has nothing but major problems with it. They did eventually give her a new one.

• summer_tx
    15 years ago

I also have a set of Bosch and have no complaints. We bought them because they were rated high with consumer reports and they use very little water. We're on a water well and that was a plus. They are on pedestals but not as high as some of them can be. They are pretty quiet too and we enjoy that because we took the door off of the utility room.

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I'm on my second front-loader and both have been Kenmore (badged Whirlpool and Frigidaire). I will always have a front-loader, especially since we have a well and I try to conserve our resources. It uses much less water and detergent, is gentler on your clothes because the clothes get tumbled rather than agitated. Clothes also come out of the washer much drier because the spin cycle is faster with a side axis model. I don't have the pedestals because I use the top of the W & D for folding clothes. I made a counter that fits across the top of the W & D in the laundry closet. I have it hinged at the back so it folds up for ease of access if I have to move either unit away from the wall.

• justjscottie
    15 years ago

I just asked a friend who works on front end washers N dryers and he said the best was LG...I'm thinking that was the brand. It was initals...I think he said you could get them at Sears & Lowes. I want a set really bad also. He did say although they hold up really well the cost for repair is really high because unlike the ones now where the outside can be just popped off there is a lot more to getting to these insides...

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

I have a Kenmore.I love it! Not the fancy Schmancy one.I guess it would be the middle of the line one.I didn't get the pedestals but wish I had.Mine have the controls (push button) on the front which I really like,and can be stacked if desired.Mine aren't stacked.They are the heavy duty,large capacity with stainless steel tubs.The only thing I don't like about front loaders is that you can't wash the detergent cup out under the running water after you pour it into the washer,but that's a small price to pay for the other pluses!LOL Remember too they take less soap than top loaders.I use about 2/3 less and my clothes get just as clean.

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

I have a Kenmore and I love it.
    No fancy bells and whistles.
    Must use He laundryliquid soap.
    Doesn't use much water or soap.
    They are stackable!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

I bit by tongue and bought a Bosch set front-loader. When I first got them, I refered to them as my new toys - I washed every darn thing in the house - even a super King-size down comforter!! I actually love them, and the fact that I don't have to select water level, which someone else mentioned here,is huge. I didn't know why at first, but realized after a few uses, I was only just dumping the clothes in and turning it on - eezie-peezie!! The only thing I wish I had considered differently is a steam version - don't know which brand. I haven't heard any news on them since I'm not on Appliance Forum that much anymore. I just know that if you really fill up the machines, the clothes are a little more wrinkled. It might be nice to have an option to maybe steam them out. All in all though, that's not really a problem most of the time. Just don't stuff the machine. Otherwise, good choice!! Oh, forgot to mention, I usually keep my wahser door open to reduce any moldy odor or buildup. There are things to do to avoid this, but I guess I'm just too lazy.

Good Luck!!

• lattefairy
    15 years ago

I've had my LG washer and dryer for a year and I absolutely love them. They are very gentle on the clothes and laundry comes out lint free.

• bulldinkie
    15 years ago

I have the red
    lG Tromm I love them.Love they sit on the pedistals too.

• secsteve
    15 years ago

You might want to post this on the appliance forum. They have a lot of good posts about washers, dryers etc.

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

Mine are Maytag. I have them on pedestals and am glad I do. Actually, I would like them to be a little higher. The only thing I don't like about a front loader is you can't soak things.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sent this post to my daughter. No peep out of her yet, but since her move her internet is very spotty. Hopefully she will be back up soon. Really no peep out of her, as she has a very sore throat, and can't talk without getting coughing fits.

Vicki, I have soaked for years, but never in my machine. I just use a five gallon bucket. :)

A repairman told me not to do any prolonged soakings in the machine, after I had something rust through, back in the early eighties.

Everyone,

Thank you so much for your input.
    Moni

• mcmann
    15 years ago

My Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) front loaders are now 5 years old and I love them for all the reasons mentioned above. I did buy the pedestals and store extra hangers and cleaning supplies inside. One reason I picked this set is because you can remove the pedestals and stack the washer and dryer if need be. They came with brackets and attachments if you wanted to stack them. I thought that was a great idea. Keeping the door open to the washer is also important because it does cut down on the moldy smell that can occur - every now and then I run a quick load of hot water and bleach to clean out any soap scum left behind and clean around the rubber gasket.

• kemerson
    15 years ago

I have a set of LG Tromm's. I love them but my washer is being serviced right now. I bought them in September of 2003. I have three dogs and I wash their beds every week. So, my washer has seriously had a workout. The beds are very heavy. Regardless, of the washer needing fixed, I will definitely buy this brand the next time also. The repairman phoned a few minutes ago to say that the parts will take 10 days to come in and that the cost is going to be $187 for the parts. When he came today to look at my washer, he said that I'm using too much soap. I have been using regular soap. He said that I should use HE soap but that if I don't want to, that I should use 1/4 of what is normal. I told them that I already dilute the soap by 50% with water. He said that is good but if I was going to do that and use regular soap to dilute it 75% water and 25% soap. He said that if you see the washer full of suds when you're washing, that there is way too much soap and the pumps cannot siphon all the suds and the sensors will get messed up. He also said the top soap dispensing assembly can be removed by taking out the 4 screws and that I could run it through the dishwasher to clean it. My mom was here and she has Whirlpool machines and he told her that for hers, she can hold down a pin and that her soap dispenser would come out and that she could run hers through the dish washer. He told her to clean the top of hers also when the dispenser was out.

Finally, he told me to clean the glass once a week. He said that dirt/hair will accumulate on the bottom of the glass and since that sits against the seal, if it's dirty it may start to seep water which will result in a streak down the front of the washer. He just said to clean the glass once a week and to wipe down the seal once a week.

Again - I love this washer and dryer. I recommend them to anyone. I don't think anyone who changes from top loaders to front loaders go back after they've had the front loaders.

Oh ya - I have the pedestals that raise them up. Definitely love these things too.

• dorothy_oahu
    15 years ago

I did a lot of research on the internet and bought the LG brand with the pedestals. I LOVE them. Be sure to use HE detergent. The pedestals really save my back. There is a hand wash setting and a steam setting. It also has a speed wash setting. I takes longer for the wash cycle but the drying cycle is so fast! And there is hardly any lint in the dryer.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My daughter has her computer going again, and email back. :)

She just wrote:

Thanks for all the help on washer/dryer reviews. We picked out Kenmore front loading (with pedestals) and they'll be here tomorrow!

Moni again:
    I now want to know, if they are in color, or white. LOL, but Lori is on her way to church right now.

• sea_shell
    15 years ago

Moni my DS and DDIL have Kenmore front loading W/D and love them.

Sue