SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trisha57_ny

Someone has to have the answer to this question

trisha57_ny
13 years ago

Why would a 6'2" military man be afraid of a 100lb. 8 month old puppy???

Nope, he never espied Daisy. he'll freak out when he sees HER. Then I will gladly give him CPR. hope he needs mouth to mouth recesitation. lol

Excuse me, ahem. clearing my throat. just got caught up in the moment (but this guy is absolutely gorgeous)

But back to my question -- why would he be afraid of a big puppy? nope, he never got bit by a dog. Cause I asked him. Duffy is the cutest most adorable puppy you could ever meet.

I truly don't understand this. why would he be afraid of Duffy?

Comments (67)

• carla35
    13 years ago

I don't think it's necessarily a phobia... I think it's common sense...a 100 pound dog "could" maul or hurt anyone.

I love dogs but I'm generally afraid of any stray/strange dog I see when walking no matter what the size. Why?... because you probably should be...

I'm also someone cautious of any dog weighing 100 lbs... That's a big dog..just jumping kindly on you could do some damage. And, people can't tell the dogs tempermant just by looking at it. Cute, just like in people, doesn't really mean anything.

We've been condition to like dogs and think they are our friends but really they are animals... and with some people their human survival mode kicks in (and surpasses their human contioned mode of liking dogs) and they sense an animal could hurt them.

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

For me, the more pertinent question is why does the owner of a B&B feel the need to post in a public forum mocking her guests?

• Related Discussions

have a couple of questions. someone please answer!

Q

Comments (4)
    I don't think that Yellow is an Iris ensata colour. There have been cross breds between the two species, but ones I have seen are usually cream rather than yellow, and i very much doubt that they would spread like pseudacoris. I think you have a pseudacoris there. Also bear in mind that it is not just the vegetative spread that is a worry environmentally. Seeds are likely to be more of a problem. I don't know if birds carry them, but clumps growing by rivers could easily shed seed into the river to be carried far and wide, to create new rogue plantings. Removing seeds is a good idea, but there will always be the possibility of missed pods, or that year when the weather was too bad to go out, or you were sick, or you sold the house and the new owners let them go to seed. If you are in an area where a plant is considered a noxious weed, then the best decision is to get rid of it. It's very altruistic to think you can control it, but it doesn't always work.
    ...See More

Can someone answer a Banana Tree question?

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes it is ok to seperate... The way I have done mine, with success, is to use a spade shovel. When you dig, make sure you dig at somewhat of an angle to insure you will get some of the roots from the parent plant. I may be wrong on this, but you may only want to do one for now - but others may know more than me :)
    ...See More

Can someone with a LG FL answer a question?

Q

Comments (2)
    That is the way it works on that machine for the PP cycle. Just choose the normal cycle if you want the normal amount of wash time, or as you are doing hit the turbowash button to cancel. I know at first it seems a little annoying to have to do this but once you get into a routine then you will love your new washer. I have a whirlpool duet and I have to increase the soil level to heavy to add an extra 10 minutes to the wash to get the results I want. At first I was a little annoyed but now I just do it and don't even think about it. Could be worse, you could have to use a scrub board and lye soap:-) Enjoy your new washer, hope this helps.
    ...See More

Let's see if someone can answer this question!

Q

Comments (5)
    IMPE, skipped stitches may also be from the wrong type of thread. (Those inexpensive polyester 'sale' threads have caused problems for me) The thread may be too thick or thin for the needle. The needle may be messed up as well. & then there's the stitch length, tension & presser foot settings. Lotsa possibilities here... Have you checked your machine manual for troubleshooting tips?
    ...See More
  • lynn_d
    13 years ago

There are no rights or wrongs when it comes to fear, I would probably be on the floor playing with the pups as soon as I laid eyes on them but some folks are fearful. I had an employee that could not come into my home because we have cats and she is deathly afraid of them.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I just found your website, Trisha. Hope you don't mind but it was very easy given some of the information you've provided in your posts. Beautiful place.

It says:
    "Children and Pets:

Unfortunately, By The Bluff is not suitable for children or pets. We have two dogs on the premises, but they are kept out of ALL guest areas."

I'm curious as to where ALL guest areas are on the premises.

What areas of the premises are NON guest areas where the dogs are free to roam?

Though I am a dog lover, I probably would not want a dog roaming the guest premises, be it a little dog, a wet mouth St Bernard, a Doberman, yada, yada, yada, regardless of how cute or well behaved they were.

Taken from the link below:
    They rarely require bathing other than once or twice a month and donâÂÂt tend to be overly messy dogs, save for some individuals having what is known as a âÂÂwet mouth.âÂÂ

Just my 2 cents...sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saint Bernards

• golfergrrl
    13 years ago

I truly don't understand why you don't understand why someone may not like being around your 100# dogs.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I only like dogs I know. When I was little, my neighbors had big untrained dogs that were allowed to freely roam into our yard. The dogs would jump up on us and steal our toys.

• marilyn_c
    13 years ago

I'm not afraid of anything, but it has always been my policy...taught to me when I was a child and I also taught my daughter, that you do not pet someone else's dog. That doesn't mean I am afraid of them....I just ignore them. However, if a puppy or any dog that was very friendly and came up to me and I could tell it was friendly, I would pet it, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. But, some people will stick their hand in any dog's face, and if you don't know the dog, and the dog doesn't know you...that is not a good idea.

I was somewhere with my friend and she had 3 or 4 of her dogs in her truck's back seat. We were in a parking lot, and a lady walked past and the dogs all barked at her. The silly woman came up to the truck and said, "Oh, I love dogs...can I pet them?" One of the dogs was practically slobbering, trying to get to her....to bite her. I said, "Hell no, you can't!" Now that was an accident looking to happen.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Is it just this puppy or all dogs he is afraid of?

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

What rockmanor,chemocurl and lindakathy said! I'm sorry but if I were going to a bed and bath to relax and enjoy myself I would expect the proprietor to keep his pets out of the spaces where I will be relaxing.If I made reservations with the understanding that the dogs would not be in the spaces where the guests are,that is what I would expect!

• jennmonkey
    13 years ago

I LOVE dogs, especially really big ones, but I'm always cautious around new dogs. It took me several months after getting my own dog before I really trusted him. They are animals, after all. A lot of people are scared of dogs, or are just not dog people.

Nobody in the entire world will ever love your dog as much as you, that's just the way it works.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

For me, the more pertinent question is why does the owner of a B&B feel the need to post in a public forum mocking her guests?

You do seem to post TMI about your guests on this forum. This is the second dog issue in less than 2 months and then there was the famous Nobel prize guy.

It's extremely unprofessional in my opinion and knowing this I would be reluctant to stay at your B&B regardless of how nice it is and how I would probably enjoy Duffy.

As for Cynic mentioning fear of cops...well maybe some people fear them because they don't respect other people's boundaries. ;-)

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Trisha57_ny - perhaps you should know this. I googled your sign-in name here, B&B, and New York, and found your website very quickly. I didn't even have to go to the second google page.

Your disparaging remarks about some of your guests are out there for anyone to see, and a little bit of detective work will make them visible to anyone on the web.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

As my mom got older, she developed a dislike for dogs. She was worried they would knock her over. If she went to a b&b that advertised the dogs were not in the guest area and they came in to the area where guests sit around and visit, she would have left immediately and demanded a full refund. I think you are guilty of false advertising.

• vala55
    13 years ago

My cousin had a boxer that would run at you, turn his body and hit in the shoulder. You would go down fast. They thought it was funny. It didn't try it around us, but maybe they had control. I wouldn't like it and neither would they if they were a senior.

• cynic
    13 years ago

trisha57_ny, I thought I made it pretty clear, but obviously not. You honestly don't know about phobias? That's amazing. OK, let's try to clarify:

I know people who are afraid of bees.
    I know people who are afraid of dogs.
    I know people who are afraid of spiders, and yes, I know of people who are afraid of police!
    Also know people who are afraid of heights. And any number of other things. They're called phobias. Some more justified than others but phobias nonetheless and often because they were taught to be afraid of them. Friends taught their kids to be afraid of bees. Others taught their kids to be afraid of the dark, of the unknown and more.

The guy might just be nervous of getting bitten which may be a phobia but at least is justified. How many times in dogbite cases do the owners go "Chomper has NEVER bitten anyone before!!! He's the most gentle, lovable thing in the world!"

There's a lot of reasons why people have phobias and to demean them for having them is kind of tacky isn't it? I don't understand how people can be afraid of clowns but some are. But I admit, there's a lot of things in this world I don't understand.

• Lindsey_CA
    13 years ago

The home page for the By The Bluff web site has this statement, ". . .where guest privacy and comfort are paramount." Apparently that's not true, since you keep talking about your guests on this forum, and revealing details about them.

If you so desperately want to know why one of your guests is afraid of a 100-pound puppy, then ask that guest. Having others speculate won't give you the answer you seek.

• carla35
    13 years ago

I disagree with you cynic... phobias are irrational or exagerrated fears. You generally shouldn't have to cater to people's phobias.

Just because people are afraid of dogs or bees or bears in some circumstances doesn't mean they have phobias. Many fears are rational, logical and/or innate fears and are not phobias and shouldn't be looked down upon or treated as such.

In other words, I wouldn't take down a picture of a clown or not use green plates because it bothers someone... but I would keep your 100lb dog and your bee hive out of your guests's living areas.

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Trisha doesn't want to hear anything that interferes with her mindset.

Her dogs are charming, everyone should love them, whether they steal your sock from your room or trap you in the dining room.

I really wonder what color the sky is in her world.

• Lindsey_CA
    13 years ago

Mary C, what you said about the sock taken from the guest's room got me to thinking...

Trisha did seem to think it was extremely funny, and blamed it entirely on the guest, for having left their door open. But, that all happened before I'd looked at the web pages for her B&B, and saw where it says:

"Unfortunately, By The Bluff is not suitable for children or pets. We have two dogs on the premises, but they are kept out of ALL guest areas."

My interpretation of dogs being "kept out of ALL guest areas" is that the dogs are never allowed anywhere near the guests' rooms, nor anywhere in the house or yard where guests may/can/do gather. This includes the living and dining rooms and the patio areas.

So, I don't blame that former guest at all for being upset that one of Trish's dogs stole a sock, regardless of the guest having left the door to the room open; and I don't blame the current guest for not being thrilled at having to share the common areas with a 100-pound puppy.

• lisa_fla
    13 years ago

Just looked at the website. Wow-that is a beautiful place. The dogs are adorable! Neither one would scare me. The man probably had a close relative when he was young who was very afraid of dogs and he learned to react like him. I think anyone who booked online would see the photos of the dogs and know they were there. I would remove the disclaimor that they are kept out of ALL guest areas. I would take that to mean they aren't anywhere a guest would go. I would be giving them treats and playing with them!

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

I agree with Lisa about removing the disclaimer,(because obviously it's a lie),and replace it with,"We have 2 very large Saint Bernards that will steal your socks (maybe even your underwear) from your room,invade all guest areas and possibly slobber all over your new pants suit!
    I think Trisha considers her dogs to be her "children" and therefore should be allowed the privileges a child would have.Sadly,they are not children (there are times even when human children should be kept on a short leash LOL)and in my opinion should never be considered in that way.In a setting such as her's she should have the good sense to realize that fact and act accordingly. No matter how well behaved the dogs may be,they are still animals and their behavior can change on a dime!
    I would also be leery of staying in Trisha's B&B for fear my daily routine would be aired on some forum.
    JMHO

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

My Dad did not care for Dogs. He was raised on a farm and animals were food. His family didn't give food away to a pet.

Wild Dogs often killed their chickens and attacked them as children. They also ran the cows and that was a no no.

• maddielee
    13 years ago

Because we are traveling that way soon, I went to the site of the B & B....Beautiful, great home.

I like dogs!

Trisha, I won't stay with you. I would worry too much about what you might say about us on Internet forums. I am not kidding.

ML

• trisha57_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nobody knows your last name!!!!

• juellie1962
    13 years ago

Wow Trisha, you cannot possibly be a real grown up adult with a business!! You have to be a pre-teen or immature teenager; I simply cannot believe your attitude.

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

"Nobody knows your last name!!!!"
    Triiiiish! You posted the last name of the inventor of the MRI and all the details about him!!!
    Put yourself in the shoes of your guests.Whether she mentioned your last name or not,how would you feel to find out the proprietor of the beautiful B&B you just stayed in (and probably enjoyed very much and possibly even contemplated making a return visit to) had aired everything about you,even your most embarrassing phobias on the Internet? In my opinion,NOT a good business practice.
    Even if you didn't mention the last names there are a lot of ways your posts can come up in an Internet search.I would be very cautious about what I write if I were you,here or anywhere on the Internet.You could easily have a lawsuit in your future!Just saying.....LOL.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

When my sister was very young she was chased by a "german pluto" (french poodle). Since, she has had a life-long fear of dogs. So, unless he were to tell you why he fears a puppy, you'll never know.

Even if you are putting out harmless (in my mind) info about your guests, I would still choose your beautiful B&B if I were in the area. It's not like I would divulge any personal information about myself, to you, a stranger, that I would fear to be posted on a public forum. However, if I were a "star", I would not pick your place because I wouldn't want the locals hanging out to catch a glimpse me. Unfortunately, most people don't rate me that high. LOL

• iknownothingatall
    13 years ago

"he'll freak out when he sees HER."

If your dogs are kept out of guest areas, where would he see her?

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

Trish-Just curious.I noticed in several of the reviews of your B&B people said they would not recomend your B&B to other pet owners.Why is that?

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I haven't read the reviews but I would imagine that the reason is that on the website it specifically states that they do not accept pets.

Isn't it time to let this be put to rest?

• trisha57_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what to say about your posts. Can't believe you are so agaisnt us. Just Imagine -- you walk into a B&B, you see me, then you see two saints (cause both of them are always by me). Our guests come here cause of the saints.

• trisha57_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When we expect guests, the saints are kept outside. The guests come in, I show them their room, and the first question is "where are the saints"? I show them to the yard.
    Sometimes, Duffy will end up in their bed. He's 9 months old now and weighs 120lbs. He's a big, awkard Marmaduke. hE'S the cutest thing you've ever seen in your life. Then there's 150 lb. Daisy. Most of our guests have never seen a dog so big.
    Daisy is the bomb! She truly is my best friend. I've had alot of friends, but never a friend like Dasiy.
    Really, She's always protecting me. Like right now, she's out there barking. She really doesn't do this. Never heard her bark so much. Duffy is right here by my side.
    Love these dogs!

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

I don't think anyone is really against you, Trisha, but you have to admit that you contradict yourself a lot. First he's 100 pounds, now less than a week later he's 120. You say the dogs are kept out of all the guest areas and now you say he might end up in a guest's bed.

It sounds like anything goes at your place and you ought to just own up to that, it's your place and you can do what you want. I just wouldn't say one thing to lure people in and then do another thing completely different later. At least- not without the risk of ticking a customer off!

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

Just Imagine -- you walk into a B&B, you see me, then you see two saints (cause both of them are always by me). Then less than an hour later you say When we expect guests, the saints are kept outside. Flamingo is right... you contradict yourself a lot.

I actually wonder how much of what you say isn't just to get everyone riled up like you have in this post. You've started a couple douzies over at the Decorating Forum too. Me thinks you like stirring the pot.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

These posts sound nothing like the "old" Trisha of a few years back.

Someone on the Home Decorating Forum had the thought that maybe someone else is using Trisha's computer.

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Not everyone likes the dogs or you wouldn't have started this post!!!

• trisha57_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flamingo - he's a saint bernard. They grow at an astounding rate. He was 105 lbs last month. Now he's about 135lbs.

• golfergrrl
    13 years ago

LMAO.... gaining 15 lbs in 2 hours IS astounding. I find this all very confusing...but wildly entertaining.

• maddielee
    13 years ago

talking about your guests on an Internet forum is another negative....

ML (Who found another place to stay on the North Fork)

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

WILL THE REAL TRISH PLEASE STAND UP!!!!
    I really don't think anyone here is against you either! But,as Flamey said,you really DO contradict yourself a lot! The contradiction that bothers me most is that you say on your B&B website that the dogs are kept out of ALL guest areas at ALL times.To me that is not only a contradiction but a flat out lie! You need to change that statement if there is an inkling of a chance the dogs would be in guest areas for whatever reason.Have you ever imagined (I doubt you have) that just because a few guests like the dogs and don't mind having them in the guest areas the other guests just go along with it because they are in the minority??? And what about the guy that was afraid of the dog? You knew he was afraid of the dog yet you let the dog into the room and joked about it? That was totally rude!
    Has anyone tried contacting Trish through her B&B to see if she is really posting this stuff??

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

It doesn't matter to me one whit what your dog weighs, Trish, but you've just made my point for me. You can't keep your facts straight from one post to the next, which makes people wonder what are the real facts.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Trisha says she's an ex-cop. Maybe she's an ex-cop because she doesn't get the facts straight. Seems it would be very important for a cop to get the facts straight.

But maybe, like someone said, it isn't Trisha at all. Or maybe she isn't well. Or maybe someone should be marking the gin bottle. Or maybe she's an aspiring writer trying out her plots and sub-plots here. Or maybe she has a couple GW identities and tests what tall tales get the most/best responses here. In any event, I always get a kick out her next installment.

• juellie1962
    13 years ago

Like I said earlier, there is no way a "real" person with a business would be posting this stuff. It HAS to be someone either using her computer OR her identity. Does anyone know her well enough to contact her and ask her??

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

I don't think people are against you but your posts sound slightly off. They are inconsistent and rambling and child-like. Not the writings of someone who should be business savvy, organized, and attentive to the wants and needs of paying clients. This is no way to run a business. You should definitely change your website because what you state is not true. You should also state that the privacy of your guest is not a concern to you, and that you will post musings about them on the WORLD WIDE WEB.

I know that you have posted about personal problems in regards to your sister. Perhaps you need to seek the help of a professional. I am not saying that to be mean, I seriously think you need some help.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

I don't think people are against you but your posts sound slightly off. They are inconsistent and rambling and child-like. Not the writings of someone who should be business savvy, organized, and attentive to the wants and needs of paying clients. This is no way to run a business. You should definitely change your website because what you state is not true. You should also state that the privacy of your guest is not a concern to you, and that you will post musings about them on the WORLD WIDE WEB.

I know that you have posted about personal problems in regards to your sister. Perhaps you need to seek the help of a professional. I am not saying that to be mean, I seriously think you need some help.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Sometimes, Duffy will end up in their bed. He's 9 months old now and weighs 120lbs.
    I for one would be very displeased with a dog and dog hair on my bedding. It is one thing to have that issue in my own home, but certainly don't expect to have a dog hair issue on my clothing while traveling.

• lavon46
    13 years ago

Chemocurl, I agree with you !

I have never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast, but if I did, I would NOT expect to find these dogs in my bed, or on me in an form.
    Has nothing to do with a fear of dogs. I have Newfoundland's, I am very familiar with big dogs, and with drool and would never expect someone else to enjoy it like I do. Out of respect to any guest I have, I put my dogs up.
    Even if you love big dogs and drool, it doesn't mean you like it on you when you have nice, expensive clothes on.. I have a feeling this post doesn't have much to do with the dogs anyway.

• deemarie5500
    13 years ago

I am very fearful of dogs, cats and most animals. Can't explain it other than mean neighbors sent their dogs to chase me when I was a child. If friends have dogs that they won't put away during a party, I stay home.

I realize it's not popular to admit you don't like pets, but that is me. Never met a dog I liked or trusted. I'm still a fairly good person and love humans! Please don't hate me. :)

• lavon46
    13 years ago

deemarie ((( Hugs ))) I hope no one would ever hate you for the way you are ! We are ALL different ! What is heaven to one person, is hell to someone else.
    I have loved most all animals since I was a child, and have no fear of them, but get me on the FREEWAYS and I am scared to death, hate it with a passion, and travel as seldom as possible !

• suzieque
    13 years ago

Trisha, you've certainly gotten an earful, haven't you. I think it's been pretty well identified that some would stay at your B & B and some would not and for what reasons either way. I would not, by the way, although it does look like a perfectly lovely place. And one of the several reasons I would not is that I just prefer simplicity - yours is elegant, lavish and beautiful - absolutely perfect for those that want that. My personal preference is something more on the idea of the Inn in the Newhart show!

However, would you please just tell us if you're going to change your website with respect to saying that your dogs are kept out of all guest areas? That is, actually, false advertising and would pi$$ me off royally if I thought that and then arrived to your dogs as you've described.