SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Hello from my little corner of the world!

marilyn_c
15 years ago

Aaah, it's good to be back. It's good to have electricity again!!

I haven't had time to read the forum...but I see something has happened and it is very short now. Anyway, I think Marigene or someone updated you to let you know I came through the hurricane okay.

The last I posted was to ask you to say a prayer for my animals. I appreciate your good thoughts and concern. It was a very stressful time for me.

I was sick the week before the storm. I had pneumonia. Went to the doctor on a Thursday and ended back at the hospital emergency room Saturday at 3 a.m. I was so sick, I couldn't even keep a sip of water down. The medicine the doctor gave me made me sicker than I already was. The emergency room doctor changed my medicine and gave me some nausea pills. My husband is a captain on a tow boat and works two weeks on and a week off, and he had to go back to work Wednesday before the hurricane came on Saturday morning.

I was still very weak from being sick and trying to get everything ready for the storm by myself, and worried about my animals and the place. Wednesday and Thursday I couldn't do much of anything. Even on Friday I would do a little and then lay down. I was so lethargic and really unable to do much of anything.

I left home at around 4 pm on Friday. I have 3 doors on my house, and I nailed two shut and closed the other one. I brought in 5 possums that were non releasables and let all the other ones go. I didn't know if I would get water in my house or not. I was afraid I would and they would drown in the cages in here. I was afraid the cages outside would be blown into the bayou. I was sick with worry about my horses.

We have probably the highest land on the bayou. One end is so high that if you site across the bayou, you are looking into the tops of the trees on the other side. That is where I left the horses.

Jody told me they would be okay, but we haven't been here for a hurricane, so I didn't know. I went to Santa Fe, about 20 miles away to spend the storm with friends, Nara and David. David didn't make me feel any better when he said he thought we'd probably have water chest deep on our place.

It was hard not having Jody with me. I just feel more secure with him and I trust his judgment about things because he knows the place so well, and he just makes me feel better having him here.

Nara and David's house caught on fire a few months ago, so even tho it is almost re built, it isn't quite finished yet, so we stayed in the studio, which is like a barn loft.

The lights went off at 9:30 pm, so we moved into the house because they had a generator. They alway try to make me feel right at home, but my mind was on things here on the bayou. I stayed awake all night and listened to the wind and all I could think of were my poor horses.

The next morning when the storm had passed, they wanted to go to another town to check on Nara's mother's house and her brother's house. I wanted to come home and check on my stuff, but they didn't want me to go alone. I was sick on my stomach with worry about things and having to go everywhere but home. Finally, after a couple of hours, Nara and I came here to check on my house and animals.

There was a tree blocking the road, so we had to walk in.

It was a miracle tho. No damage to my house, my animals all okay. Not even any trees in the yard uprooted. A lot of limbs down in the flower beds and damage there, but nothing worth complaining about, especially considering all the people who lost everything...even lives.

On the corner of my road, there are two house trailers. Both were okay, but every tree on both places were down or damaged. It looked like a bomb had been dropped. All of my light poles...even the ones going back to my house, along the drive way, were standing tall.

When I left Friday, the bayou was out of the banks and had come up about 3'. When I went back after the storm, it was

not much higher than when I left, and by the next day, it was back within the banks. It was at least 200' from my house....didn't even get close.

The next few days were spent looking after Kenneth, an old man I take care of who used to be a neighbor of mine. He has emphysema and hasn't been out of his house in almost three years. I was very worried about his house, especially since he has so many trees around it, but even tho there were a lot of tree limbs everywhere, none hit his house and no damage at all to his house. That was another small miracle.

Jody got to come home Wednesday to help me clear out some of the downed tree limbs, he was called back on Thursday, but after he showed up, they didn't have a boat ready for him, so he got to come home and went back on Friday. We spent Thursday cleaning up Ken's yard.

I just got electricity back on this evening about 6. I am so glad to have water again....we have our own well. The mosquitoes are horrible and I spent a miserable couple of hours last night trying to get a fire going to keep them off my horses. Today I got a couple of cross ties to burn and

one of those hand held foggers, so they are resting quietly tonight and I am very relieved.

Little towns are the best. Every day people in Liverpool cooked a meal and served anyone who came by the volunteer fire department. They gave out bottled water and ice.

I have eaten most of my meals out. It is just easier than trying to cook at home with no electricity and water.

I am so sorry for everyone who lost so much in this storm.

I can't say that God looked out for me, because I think if I said that, it would be as if He didn't look out for some other folks. I will just say we were very, very fortunate.

Even our shrimmp boat came through the storm just fine. Jody's deckhand stayed on it, and tho the water got up about 15 foot past the dock, he kept the lines on it and it came through with no damage at all.

Anyway, this is long and rambling. It's good to be back!

Comments (60)