SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

More about the mysterious death of Addie...

rosemaryt
12 years ago

Last weekend, I was in Lake Mills, Wisconsin doing research on Addie Hoyt Fargo, my great aunt.

I don't know if y'all remember, but I didn't even know I had an Aunt Addie until I found her photo album amongst my late father's things.

She was born in 1872, and in 1896 she married a wealthy older man named Enoch Fargo. She was 24; he was 46. When she was 29 years old, he killed her.

The family physician was bribed to falsify the death certificate, showing that Addie died of diphtheria. This provided Enoch with the excuse to get her in the ground within eight hours of her death.

Enoch remarried shortly after Addie's death, to a woman that had been living in the mansion for some time.

That's the story.

When I was in Lake Mills, I found the "smoking gun" that proves that Addie's death certificate WAS falsified. And now we have compelling evidence that her body was disposed of in some sinister way, and probably is not even in the grave that bears her name.

It's an amazing story, and I gave a talk there in Lake Mills that was recorded. You can click on the link below to see it.

Now I'm working toward raising funds to get her exhumed. I hope to return to Lake Mills soon and hopefully get that started.

I have never in my life done anything on fund-raising and I really don't know where to start. I'd be grateful for any insights on that. The exhumation isn't that much, but the forensics and re-burial might be.

Altogether, I'll need about $5,000 for the project (based on the info I have thus far). I've already applied for an exhumation permit, which is the first step. And I've already contacted the local medical examiner about the forensics, and he's very interested in this case.

Things are going well. It's just slow.

Addie Hoyt Fargo, my aunt:

Addie on her wedding day:

Addie in her riding outfit:

Addie and her sister, my great-grandmother. Anna Hoyt (my great-grandmother) is in the blue dress.

Photo of Addie on her wedding day, and five years later, shortly before her death:

Close-up of the lips, showing the swelling and distortions. Look at the cupid's bow and how swollen it is to the left side.

I don't know if Enoch (Addie's husband) shot her, or just went too far with a beating. But I am confident that he killed her. The evidence I've uncovered (with help from friends) is pretty clear. Addie's life did not come to a natural end.

The photo album now in my possession was a gift to her brother-in-law, Wilbur (married to Anna, my great-grandmother). I believe it was a plea for help. I believe that Addie - a strong, competent, intelligent woman - knew that Enoch was going to kill her. The photo showing her swollen lips and puffy eye and receding hairline (evidence of arsenic poisoning), was in the middle of the photo album, and printed on different paper.

I really do believe that photo was her "SOS" to her family in Denver.

BTW, Addie founded the Lake Mills DAR and she also was an officer with the local woman's club.

Rosemary

Here is a link that might be useful: My talk on Addie

Comments (25)