SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terilynv

Do you still buy real books?

terilyn
11 years ago

I have always loved the feel, smell, and the cover art of real books. However, I really love not having to pay the hundreds of dollars for them. I can't rememember the last book I read that wasn't on my IPad. I have two rooms of real books I can't part with, I think I am saving trees now!

Comments (46)

• sushipup1
    11 years ago

I buy used paperbacks thru Amazon, usually for $4 including shipping, then I pass the books on to friends when I am done.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Absolutely. Most of the books I read are real books. I buy them used, either from my libraries or on Amazon, and pay far less than the prices I normally see for e-books.

I haven't found many free or low-priced e-books that interest me. The last e-book I bought was $7.99, and that was a good deal. But the used books I buy locally are $1 for hardcovers and 50 cents for paperbacks.

I like illustrated books on photography and rug hooking, and I'll always choose real books for that sort of thing too.

You probably are saving trees, but at least I'm recycling them. ;-)

• Related Discussions

Do you still use a printed yellow pages phone book?

Q

Comments (14)
    I get three phone books delivered for free each year: White pages for Long Island (two countis), Yellow pages for same and snaller local book. I keep last years little book in my car. The other three are in my bedroom near the phone. I do use them occasionally. Gnerally, if have to look up a business, I'll use Google. My computer is alkways on. So no, I don't really need to keep those phone books. Except the one in my car.
    ...See More

Are YOU buying books in Danish that you Can't Read?

Q

Comments (18)
    We've had this discussion before and, while I can't recall what my previous position on the issue is, today I'm with Beagles and mtnrdredux.:) I like to read actual books and I also like the idea of books as decor. I once arranged a set of bookshelves with the books by color and height. Very pretty although not very efficient when searching for a book, so that idea got scrapped. I have bought books because I liked their appearance, e.g., a book on bridge with a brown velvet-like cover; a miniature book (in English if read from left to right and in French if read from right to left) about a mischevous cat (un chat mechant); a book on antique Japanese prints the pages of which, when the book is opened, unfold in accordian fashion, etc. I haven't done it often, but why not place a book with a beautiful cover or illustrations on a stand or easel, so that it can be enjoyed as if it were a piece of art? I have one probably published in the early 1900s about a pet dog with photos of the time in it, and I had it on a small stand with one wonderful photo of the dog and the girl who owned it showing. Most of those books were very inexpensive, costing $10 at the most, with most under $5; some are valuable (e.g., some of Teriade's Verve art and literature series). In all cases, I chose them because I liked what they looked like though. Since I can't get onto that web site, I don't know what the Danish books look like. However, I can't imagine spending anything approaching that amount on random books, particularly when common sense says that 7 random books might not even fill a bag on a book sale's $2/bag day.
    ...See More

Do you keep a list of all the books you own?

Q

Comments (46)
    I had far more books in the past than now. I'm down to about 200 of them, and I sometimes wonder why I keep them--dogeared as many of them are. Pages are crumbling and falling out of some. Some pages are missing in some as well. I keep them around because they're comforting. I glance into them at times. Many have my marginal notes from student days. Who would want such overused books with my scribblings in them? So there they are, the chief dust-catchers around here, while I let the dust gather and do 99% of my reading by listening to audiobooks and have been doing that since 1983. I've listed my books on LibraryThing (the books I own) but haven't updated that in a while. Also there are my translations (half a shelf) as well as books by friends and relatives. My translations, though published, are not runaway best-sellers because they're on topics that are fairly specialized (successive approximation in math, problem-solving in schoolchildren, the child's concept of number). Not real page-turners.
    ...See More

What do you do with your Unwanted Books?

Q

Comments (33)
    Getting rid of books, ANY books, is difficult for me. I have been noticing that I am interviewing friends before I give them a book. It happened just yesterday... I said, "Do you read such-and-such author?" She said, "Yes, but I tend to take that author to the beach and the books get filled with sand and I just leave them at the vacation house for the next family." And I said, "Wow. Isn't the weather lovely today?" I kept the book. In my brain, I know that books are meant to be shared and discussed. In my heart, they ALL belong to ME. But when I do get a few that are ready to be out on their own in the world, the library sale gets them, family and friends get them. Somehow, I feel much better giving them away if I know they are going to a good home. Weird, and strange to attach such emotion to inanimate objects. But what can I say? It's the truth, I do it. PAM
    ...See More
  • minnie_tx
    11 years ago

I've been getting rid of most of my books. Family has dwindled and no one wants them. Keeping how=to's and some special ones.

It is easier to read on the computer now.

• chloecat
    11 years ago

I haven't bought a paper book in years. I read everything on my iPhone or iPad.

• Lindsey_CA
    11 years ago

Yes, Hubs and I still occasionally buy physical books if they're ones we want and aren't available in an electronic version.

We have over 1,000 hardbound books in this house, and more than that number of paperback books. And we each have about 400 books on our Kindles.

We love to read!

I always have my Kindle with me, in my purse. It's great. I don't usually carry a paperback or hardbound book around with me. :-)

• lydia1959
    11 years ago

I don't have a Kindle and don't really want one... I like the feel of a real book. I am kind of particular about what I read (no fiction), so I do usually pay full price when I buy a book. I don't read a bunch though, I kind of go in spurts. Right now I am reading some books from the library.

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

I haven't bought a paperback or hardcover book for myself since I bought my Kindle last November. I belong to Paperbackswap.com, but I'm only sending out books, not asking for any, except once in a while for a friend. And I still have a rather large bookshelf of them. I may just take them to the library and donate them to the "Friends of the L_____ Library" book store. I'm not the type to re-read books, so it wouldn't bother me a bit to get rid of them. My Kindle is my new best friend, LOL. I don't go anywhere without it. I love that I don't have to carry a bunch of books with me and don't feel bad when I don't like a book and just skip to another.

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I usually borrow books from the library or buy some there to help support Friends of the Library.
    I download free books from Amazon but rarely buy books costing more than a dollar.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

I have been buying used books from our Friends of the Library a lot this past year. The library was being remodeled, so the FOTL rented an empty shop right next door to the cleaners and deli I like. As a result, I started shopping there as I waited for my order. This summer I bought lots of hard back books for fifty cents, and then 25 cents as they were trying to clear the shelves for their return to the library building. Some teachers retired and donated their classroom libraries, and I found some nice books for 35 cents for the grandsons. With one grandson just starting to read a few words, I snap up those easy to read books.

I also buy books in the bookstore and on Amazon. I believe I wrote here about the Father's Day gift book I gave my SIL and his two boys--The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts. My daughter says it was a big hit.

• stellawinslet
    11 years ago

I agree. These days most of the people don't get real books anymore. One can get to read any books on the internet or download them from the sites.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I love real books and never read any on my iPad. I read two or three a week and get them from the library. I loved Gone Girl ,read it and then husband read it before it was due. I recommended it to daughter and she had to pay $12 to download it to her Nook.

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

don't have an ipad, lol...tried pulling up a book on the computer and got just about 2 chapters read before it drove me bonkers!

• jel48
    11 years ago

I still buy 'real' books of some types... cookbooks, garden books, bird, animal, or nature books, that sort of thing.

I use my kindle for fiction. And I do like fiction. I work in a technical field, and have to read technical information for work. When I read for pleasure, I want to either read about a hobby I enjoy (like the books mentioned above) or I want to read something purely entertaining. It's a way to get away from the work world!

I used to read a LOT. I did so from the time I was very young. Then, in my early to mid-40s, my eyesight started getting worse. I can hardly make out any text without my glasses any more, and even with my glasses, small text (like that in a book) stresses my eyes tremendously. I got to the point where I was hardly reading at all.

Now, with my kindle, I read again. I can adjust the text size and also the brightness/contrast. It is wonderful to be able to read!

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Got my Kindle for Christmas last year. Wasn't really sure I'd like one--having been reading 'real' books most of my 62 years.

I read constantly. Since Christmas, I haven't bought a single 'paper' book, and have spent less than $20 on e-books. There are so many really good free Kindle books--I've been working my way through them for now.

For the person who didn't think they'd be interested in free books? They're not free because they're not worth any more, they're free because that's the author's choice. In many cases, the free books I've read this year are better than some I've spent $8, 10, even $20 for. And, of course, there are some dud, too--but you can get that in real books as well.

I do think it's a shame--real books are going to go the way of Studebakers within the next generation. This year most colleges are requiring students to buy e textbooks rather than paper ones. The last hold out we know--the girl who said she'd never get a Kindle--just got one this week. She's excited and reading up a storm on it.

Oh, as to 'holding' a book? I've got a lovely leather cover for my kindle, it looks exactly like a book if you look at me reading, it 'holds' like a book. And with the touch, you even turn pages the same way you would with a paper book--by swiping your finger right-to-left across the page. It takes all of about 10 seconds to realize that there's not a lot of difference in the 'feel' of reading an e-book as opposed to a paper one.

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

I borrow books from the library to read, have an e-reader for some and read some in actual book form. I can't remember the last time I bought an actual book, like a fiction book, unless I got it at a used book store. I don't buy e-books, either. I just borrow 'em.

I do buy quilting and crafting books, though. Usually from Amazon or Ebay or with a 40% off coupon at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.

• emma
    11 years ago

Yes I still buy hard cover books by my favorite author to add to my library. I bought 5 new releases this month, Fern Michaels and Debbie Macomber. I have a callous on my hand from years of holding a book. I have a PDN but have over 400 books in my library and want to read them.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

I buy used books from abebooks.com. When I'm finished with them, I give them to the local bookstore, which sells them at low prices. A win-win situation for all. I have an iPad, but I'm not interested in reading books on it.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I only read real books, but I get them at the library. My library system is wonderful so I can get pretty much anything I want, although I have to wait for best sellers. I would buy some paperbacks if I am traveling but I wouldn't know where to go to buy one since all the big bookstores around here have closed -- Borders and Barnes & Noble. There are a couple B&N a few miles away so i could go there if I had to.

I don't have a Kindle or an Ipad. One day I may get one but I just don't see the need. I like to lie on my porch and read. If I feel sleepy, I just put the book on the sofa and don't worry if it slides off. On the beach or by the pool, I can put the book over my eyes and not worry if it gets wet.

I really do see the attraction of e-books, and you can now download them from my library website. You borrow them just like a real book, and they disappear from your reader when the time is up.

I used to get books from Paperbackswap.com, and that's great web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paperback Swap

• jannie
    11 years ago

I mostly use my Kindle for reading, though I visit my public library at least once a week. I did buy one book in the last year "The Help" which I bought for $1 at a garage sale. Haven't got to it yet, it's TBR. I saw the movie last Sunday on TV, and I'm anxious to read it because I understand the movie (as usual) left a lot out. I'd like to know more about the characters. I mostly identified with the young white journalist,Skeeter. But, no, I don't buy many books anymore. My library is my book closet.

• monica_pa Grieves
    11 years ago

I haven't bought a physical book since I got my Kindle - about 2 years ago.
    I also carry my Kindle in my purse, and have the Kindle apps to also be able to read on my laptop or smart phone.

The font and size of Kindle books and pages are identical to a paper book, so my brain sees nothing different.

What I love about my Kindle is that I can read it in blazing sunlight at the pool. No glare.

As to cost, I buy most, but my county library system utilizes an on-line lending system. I have a library card, and can go to their site, and electronically "borrow" a book for 2 weeks. No cost.

I find the biggest advantage of e-books is the convenience of being able to get a book immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year, rather than driving to a store, parking car, etc.

No to mention the storage space I have gained, because I cannot bear to toss a book in the trash.

PS - I also get my Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper electronically. No late newspaper in the morning, or one soaked from being tossed in a puddle or buried in a snow bank.
    And, it's only $1.99/week, Sunday included. So much cheaper than the physical edition...and has halved the volume in my recycle trash bin.

• joann23456
    11 years ago

I try not to buy physical books if I can avoid it. I buy and borrow (from the library) ebooks and check out physical books from the library.

For the vast majority of books I read, I want the substance, not the form. And although I've always loved the look and feel of a book, I enjoy it in a limited form now, as collectibles.

• emma
    11 years ago

If I didn't have my own library I would use an ereader all the time. I have used the public library since I was in Jr High. There is no way I would go to the library now, especially downtown...until they get their bedbug problem taken care of. They closed off one section and treated it, but I can't believe it took care of the problem. I would think bedbugs could travel with the books sent to the branches.

• SunnyDJ
    11 years ago

I'm an avid reader and most of the time, get the books at the Library...But, I also like a good book sale or flea market and will come away with quite a few....
    I like the feel of having the physical book in my hand, not a machine......

• dees_1
    11 years ago

No e-reader for us; strictly hardbacks. We collect certain authors and have been collecting for many, many years. There are probably 3,000 hardbacks in our collection, with all of them being read by one or the other of us (sometimes both).

I appreciate the e-reader approach but it's not for us. My son loves his Kindle and thought about buying one for us. But we'd still buy the hardback book to continue our collection.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    11 years ago

Yes real books for me, children's books for Alyssa, cookbooks and other books for me. I buy mine at garage and rummage sales and never pay more than a dollar for them. Usually $.50 for hard cover and $.25 for soft cover. I have a room just for books that needs to be organized. Love to read. I like a lot of different authors. My girls also buy books for me. My girls all like to read, my son and husband do not care about reading. I bought a bunch of good books last week and this week so far I have bought only 5!

Sue

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I love real books, but not the space that they take up. I tried using the library, but I'm too current on the authors I like and I'm not willing to wait months to get their latest book. So, I mostly buy E-books except for those books where photographs are a major part of the book.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

I can't find a book store. My son has to read Of Mice And Men in two weeks and I'm now having to order it online. Now we have to wait for delivery. >:(

• User
    11 years ago

I also love "real books" and initially didn't want anything to do with e-readers. But son gave me a Kindle for Christmas a few years ago and I really liked it once I got used to it. For my birthday last winter, hubby gave me a Kindle Fire which also allows web access, email, etc. I love it, instant book downloads, easy to keep clean, easy to read in bed at night, and no dust mites like in regular books (I have allergies). So, while I sometimes miss the smell and feel of real books, I now mostly read e-books.

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Amyfiddler, we got our grandson a cheap tablet last Christmas and he was able to use it for school book reports. We asked the teacher if it was okay and she said yes. And he's not the best reader, so when he chose The Hunger Games, I also got the CDs at the library and converted them to MP3 and he got to listen along with his earbuds while reading the book. Worked great for him.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Sometimes from the used books place or the library sale, but like some others here, I'm a big library user (my tax dollars at work!). Books that I've read and don't want anymore go to its annual sale.

Like DedTired posted, I don't really want to have to baby an electronic device. When I fall asleep reading on the bed, I don't need to worry that the dog will lick a Kindle or think it's one of her new toys!

Also, I'm working on a computer 8 hours a day at work, a few hours when I come home to check forums and things, so I think that for my eyes (I have to see an ophthalmologist 2x a year because there's high pressure), a traditional book is best.

BUT... I'm very interested to see what new model or upgrade Kindle is bringing out next month. (And Apple, too, but the iPad doesn't interest me so much -- a little large for me and costly. And my MacBook suffices for what I like to do on the computer.)

The only niggling feeling I get is when I travel, which I don't do a lot, but I always end up bringing 2 books. Every time, I'm finishing one of the books that I started when I was home, and when I go to pick up one of the others, it never fails that it just doesn't hook me right away and I lament not having a reader that lets me download something else right then and there.

• cardamom
    11 years ago

Yes mostly from Half Price Books and our Library Friends booksales.
    I'd also like to make a plug for supporting your Friends of the Library group events. They are the ones that supply the extras and many not so extra items all year that a city or county budget won't allow. In this economy and mindset, libraries are often the first to feel the budget cuts. Our libraries are much more than a book to hold in your hand.

It may be budget time in your area as well as here, check into your city's budget ..where is the money spent and how much/little of your library's budget is part of the big city picture.
    I'm on our city library board and Friends member and volunteer...stepping off soapbox now .

• vannie
    11 years ago

I love the library and have since I was a child. The last 2 books I read "God Never Blinks" and "Be the Miracle" were borrowed from my Dd who did buy them. I have Kindle on my phone and I-Pad and find it real handy in a doc's waiting room. I used to take my I-Pad in my purse, but now that's it on my phone, just read it off there, since it's smaller. I would buy a book at "Half Price Books", maybe, but it's too handy to go to the library, or get it on the Kindle.

• peoniesandposies
    11 years ago

I was given a Nook last year (I had wanted one), but I'm not that impressed. It's nice when you're traveling on plane, but it just does NOT replace the feel of a book. Mine sits in drawer unless I'm traveling.

Personally I think that kids, especially younger ones, need the interaction of reading a book with mom & dad and turning the pages. I also think that they need to see you sitting and enjoying reading your own book for them to want to emulate that.

I'm a real big fan of the library. That way I can read what I want and save money :)

• hounds_x_two
    11 years ago

Another library fan, here!

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

I love real books. They never go out of style. They can sit on a shelf for 10 years, yet when opened, thsy are just as good as the day they were made. I have never had a battery go dead in one and they work in the most remote of places especially in a cabin in the woods. They work great even in a power outage and can be passed to someone else without a surcharge or maintenece fee. They even will survive my death and do not require a password.

Contrary to the belief that e-books save trees, they require the consumption of consumables to make the electricity that powers the internet grid and to power the devices that diaplay them, and power to produce the electronic readers. Therefore, e-books are not completely tree-free.

Let's hear it for real books - Yeah!

• heather_on
    11 years ago

I am a total ebook fan. I read on my little iPod mostly but also have my books on my iPad and Kindle. I gave away all of my paper copies of books to charities and now have lots more room in my house. I used to buy used books but found that the musty smell on some of them got my nose running and then I would be coughing with allergies. I don't miss the paper copies at all now. I figure I have about 5,000 books on my ereaders now, most of them were free. If you look carefully at certain sites, you can find some really current books and good books free. I am building my library on my ereaders and read at least one book a day. I have plenty of reading now to last me quite a few years.

Btw apple is coming out with a mini iPad which will be about 7 inches......announcement to be made in September.

• drewsmaga
    11 years ago

We're about to make our 3rd move in 15 months. Paying by the pound to move has meant a lot of lightening up. Lots of books have been donated to the library. I prefer having a real book in my hands and actually turning the pages, but I'm getting used to having books on my Kindle. Life changes, I adapt. And it really is great to have 100+ books in my purse when I'm stuck in a waiting room, or on a long car ride.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Look what I just came across! Something that lets you have your e-reader AND a "real" book at the same time!

Here is a link that might be useful: signals catalog product

• Lindsey_CA
    11 years ago

PammyFay said, "Also, I'm working on a computer 8 hours a day at work, a few hours when I come home to check forums and things, so I think that for my eyes (I have to see an ophthalmologist 2x a year because there's high pressure), a traditional book is best."

My husband has glaucoma, which is high pressure in the eyes. The "problem" with glaucoma is that you do not feel that extra pressure, which is why it's so important to have your eyes tested every year. And, yes, he sees an opthalmologist who specializes in glaucoma three times a year.

My husband loves to read, as do I. I read a lot of novels and other fiction, he rarely reads a novel or any fiction. We both love our Kindles and my husband states emphatically that reading a "real" book is not easier on his eyes than reading his Kindle.

• Holly_ON
    11 years ago

I tried to read a paperbook that I found when I was cleaning house. I gave up. Love my e-readers and I'm just not going back.

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Nope - I have a Nook tablet for reading. Love that I can have many books available in a small package. We have hundreds of real books filling our home but don't have any more room. Fortunately I convinced DH to make the switch so he reads our Nook books on his iPad.

• joan_mn
    11 years ago

I get real books from the library.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I always take my latest library book in my bubble bath every night. My luck, I'd drop the iPad . I have never dropped a book but that would be considerably cheaper to replace.

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

I've been making covers for my e-reader so I can hold it like a book when I read at night. If you want to make your own or just to see it bigger, you can click on the photo. Then there's a link to my blog for a tutorial.

I also made a prop for it so I don't have to hold the e-reader when I eat lunch. No instructions for that, but it's weighted with ground walnut shells for stability and that makes it adjustable, too.

To read in the tub, you can slide your reader into a large ziplock and still read and swipe or push buttons.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Flamingo: Nice job! The buckle collar is a cute touch.

And speaking of CUTE: That tiny little kitty of yours! Yes, I had to look ... The photo of kitty and "dad," kitty and big canine bro (or sis?), kitty napping at the computer and then yawning. Cute, cute, cute!

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

Thanks, pammyfay. :) And my best kitty shots are taken while they're not moving around, that's why all the sleepy shots. He's currently terrorizing the others at 5:17 in the morning, moving like a blurry streak!