SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Would you dump this friend?

petra_gw
11 years ago

I have a friend who is getting more and more irritating. Main problem is, she is extremely negative. She can find the bad in any situation and because I try to be as positive as possible, this wears me out.

For example, I had a health scare a while back and underwent a bunch of tests which, thankfully, all came out fine. She wasted no time telling me of all the people she's heard of whose tests came out fine and they had something terribly wrong anyway.

She seems to delight in gloom and doom occurrences, people being terminally ill, dropping dead, falling on hard times, etc. She loves to talk about that sort of thing and harp on and on about how this could happen to anyone, at any time.

We've had major problems with our son and she will not miss any opportunity to exclaim how seeing how our son is makes her so glad she does not have any children, etc.

There are lots of other examples, but the above paints a picture of what she is like.

Frankly, I am starting to hate her and that can't be healthy. They moved a few months ago and we only correspond via email/tel. I dread her emails and try to avoid the calls. Her husband recently found out he has a major health problem and much to my shame, I did not feel bad for her at all. I think that's the last straw, if something like that happened to one of my other friends, I would feel very badly for them and want to do something to help. With her, I just don't care. I guess that means it's time to end the friendship?

Comments (43)