SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grams33

Front loading washers

grams33
14 years ago

I am in need of a new washer and would like to hear the pros and cons of them, from those of you who have one or know about them. Do they get the clothes clean? Do they smell musty? Do they have different water levels. Do they leak? Can you open the door and add to it after filling. What brand or options do you recommend? Any info that you have would be so appreciated. My daughter said you seem to learn alot from your KT friends -they sound like a reliable soource-try them-so I am

Than k you in advance

Comments (44)

• Pawprint
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport washer and love it.

To answer your questions. Yes, they get my clothes very clean. Mine doesnt smell musty. The water level is automatically processed by the machine. Yes, I can open the door after its done filling; water fills up just below the glass door.

I canÂt speak for any other brand as there are more expensive front loaders than mine that have more options and larger in size. Depends on what you want to spend.

All the savings are true! It uses 75% less water than top loaders, 75% less detergent and lessens drying time. I only need laundry detergent once a year as a few drops per load is perfect. The highest RPM spin cycle is incredible, some clothes feel almost dry.

When I finish laundry I leave the washer door open so it dries out, no musty smell. This washer also has a self clean feature which cuts down on smells.

This is one of my best purchases. Good luck!

{{gwi:1780730}}

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

I have one....I can stop it if I just started the cycle and add a forgotten item or so......
    My clothes come out super clean
    My jeans and heavy clothes come out almost totally dry
    Mine has never leaked
    I am out on the road and can't think of the brand I have...but I would totally recommend a front loader over the regulars.......
    I also keep the door open when not in use so as not to get a musty smell on the rubber seal...Stacy

• Related Discussions

Does everyone hate front load washers/dryers or is it just me?

Q

Comments (255)
    @Chris Powchuk I don't agree with that at all. I had an Electrolux front load. Crappy machine. Bio-stink built up on clothing. You would think after running a 2 hour cycle with warm water, on heavy cycle with extra rinses would result in clean clothing. Nope. The machine was also clean as a whistle inside and out. I kicked that machine to the curb and got an LG. Much better machine. Clean clothes and clean smelling clothes. So I do not believe they are all built the same or operate the same. I used to dry the boot and leave the door open on my Electrolux. Never any mold. I have gotten lazy with my LG and do not dry the boot but do leave the door open and again no mold. I run affresh on the tub clean cycle every now and then and that's about it. And top loads are not exempt from mold. I had a Fisher and Paykel top load at my previous house. That machine built up mold all around the outside of the tub where you couldn't see it but boy could you smell it. We had to take the whole tub out and drag it into our shower to clean it.
    ...See More

front loading washer doesn't get clothes clean

Q

Comments (51)
    @slogan3561 The cotton on the market today is fine. We have Mele washers and whites come out white. Keeping them white means you need to have the following: 1. If your water is hard (lots of minerals) a water softener should be used. 2. Heavily soiled whites should be pre-treated and soaked to loosen soil before the main wash. Use the washers soak cycle or a pre-wash. 3. A good detergent with the proper amount. Not the cheapest thing you find on sale. 4. A good Oxygen bleach. Make sure to use a water temp of 140F (60C) or higher to get the maximum effect from the oxygen bleach. If you have a clothes line, use it. The UV light from the sun works great to bleach whites and it's free! Many of today's washers are not built with the consumer in mind. They are built to get the maximum rebate from the government for their eco-friendliness.
    ...See More

Our new Speed Queen FF7 front load washer - observations

Q

Comments (27)
    " During the spin cycles it shook so violently that it started "walking." I had to push on it/hold it during the spin so it would not walk off the pad." I have not had this happen in two years of owning our SQ FL. I know nothing about installation because our vendor always installs for us. Our machine recently made some really loud noises when the load was unbalanced --- only two items: a heavy looped cotton bath mat & toilet mat on the spin cycle. I knew better, but had a senior moment when I ran that load with just two pieces. But the machine didn't move or walk (and IKWYM about "walking"....old top load machines would do that, too) I paused the machine to add a terrycloth towel to provide more weight distribution for balance, and then the machine was happy.
    ...See More

First time front load washer buyer

Q

Comments (5)
    I just purchased a Washtower, instead of separate units. Forget the worry of needing to replace one or the other because a) rarely happens that you need to replace one without wanting to replace the other because it's also 12 years old, and b) if you're stacking them, you'd probably need to replace them both to make the stacking safe (this doesn't apply if you're not stacking them). Some thoughts on my month-old Washtower: Good cleaning and drying, as I expected from LG. I find the touch screen not as sensitive as I would have expected or as I would like - I'll have to check to see if that's adjustable. There are fewer options of cycles than the single LG units I've had in the past....I knew that going in, but I typically use the same 2 or 3 mixes of temp/speed/time, so I didn't mind losing a bunch of options of things I never used. I really do like having the controls in the middle, rather than the dryer controls being up at the top of the stack. Right now, I'd rate it 8/10; I'll raise it to 9/10 if I can adjust the sensitivity of the touch screens. I've been using LG front load washers for almost 20 years and hope never to have to use a top-loader again. They do a better job cleaning while being gentler on your clothes, and they use less energy and water to do it. What more could you ask for, LOL.
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I do not have one, but I don't think I would want one, only for one reason. My back bothers me a lot and it makes it worse to get dry clothes out of the dryer, so I am thinking it would make my back hurt too getting wet clothes out of the washer. Other than than that I guess they would be okay.

Sue

• dorothy_oahu
    14 years ago

One of the main reasons I got a front loader is because it is on that base or whatever you call it so I don't have to bend over to transfer wash to the dryer. The base can also be used to store the small boxes of he detergent and softener sheets I love it for all the reasons above. I have a LG because when I was researching that was recommended as the best one. It takes longer to wash a load but it does have a Speed Wash setting as well as a steam fresh setting that makes things fresh and takes out all the wrinkles.

After washing a large load of towels the matching dryer dries them in about half an hour with hardly any lint. They both save water and energy.

I've had mine for a year and have had no problems. I also leave the washer door open so it dries out and doesn't get smelly.

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

I have had my Bosch Washer and Dryer for a little over a year. I love them! They do a fantastic job of cleaning.
    No it does not leak.
    Yes you can add something after it was started.
    It automatically puts the amt of water needed.
    I use a lot less detergent.
    You can get the pedestals to make it higher, but I didn't need it.
    No musty smell - after it is done I wipe the rubber gassget with a towel (kept handy for that purpose) and I leave the door opened slightly. I also flip open the little door for the despensors.

I would never go back to the top loader.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

We got a great deal on a Samsung set plus our electric company gave us $100. (energy savings rebate). We are saving about $7. a month off our water bill and $10. or more on the electric monthly (that is with DD home from college for the summer).

We also have the bases which raise the washer and dryer up. The bases are expensive (about $200. each) when you consider it is just a plastic drawer. Our washer is white, but we bought silver-grey bases which were on clearance for $40. each. The silver color matches the doors on the w/d, so it looks like it came that way.

I too leave my washer door open slightly after washing a load, so there is no musty smell. I don't open my door once I have started the washer, I did once and some water did come out.. but it was still filling so maybe that was the problem. My clothes come out smelling clean. The washer does not leak. My particular model has the vibration reduction, so it does not 'move' across the floor during a large washload. It will stop and give you a error code if the load becomes unbalanced.

The only negative thing I have read (may not even be true) is that the front loaders will not last as long as a regular washer/dryer.

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

Sue you can get the bases which make it easier...I don't have one....but I am lazy anyways so when I am transfering my clothes I just sit on the floor! LOL sad but true....Stacy

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

Mine is a Frigidaire, about 10 years old (bought at the end of 1999). It is a very basic model, no bells and whistles like the newer ones.

No it does not leak.
    Yes you can add to the wash after starting.
    Mine never came with pedestals, so cannot speak to them.
    I leave the door open for a few hours after the wash is done, so have never had any moldy smells.
    I noticed a significant difference in my water bill when I started using them.
    My front loader is stackable with the matching dryer; I have them set up side by side though.
    I would never go back to the top loader.

• pekemom
    14 years ago

Kenmore Elite washer and dryer here. Have had them about 5 years now. I never close the washer door so it can always dry out. I have the pedestal drawers also, they hold quite a bit. If you open the door because you forgot to add an item and it has been filling, yes, water will come out. Mine were not new enough to have the steam settings they have now but it does provide the extra hot water temp if you want, I really don't use that option much, just every once in a while or if we've been ill but it's nice to have.

• Pawprint
    14 years ago

Mine are stacked & I enjoy the dryer at eye level! Its much easier to fold clothes now.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

I love my front loader Frigidaire. I have had it almost 3 years. It gets my clothes cleaner than a top loader did. I always leave the washer door open. Mine are in my basement.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

I'll do like I did on the thin TV's, when 80% of the consumers buy it, I will also. There is a laundry forum on THS, you might read there for pros and cons. I heard that front loaders don't rinse well, but a salesman told me they have compensated for that.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Stacy, if I sat on the floor to get my laundry out, I might not get up too well! You forget, I am almost 3/4 of a centery old!

Sue

• vicki_lv
    14 years ago

I have the Maytag front loaders. I love them. I have the pedestal drawers and they are very handy. I can't say anything more than what has been said about the front loaders. This is my second set. The first set went with our last house. I also had a little shelf that went in the dryer to dry tennis shoes and small items without tumbling them. I didn't get one with my second set and I really miss it. Just haven't gotten around to ordering one. I like that mine will wash a load of clothes on "quick wash" in 29 minutes...and the spin cycle brings them out almost dry. Cuts on drying time. And believe me...my washer/dryer seems to run 24/7 and I need that! I also love that they save on water. We live where there are water restrictions and I am pretty conscientious about water usage.

The only con I can think of, is that you can't soak clothes in a front loader. I don't have to do it very often, but I would like to on occasion. I have a bunch of towels that are a light brown color...with peach colored bleach spots on them from Pro-Active acne solution. I would like to put them in the washer with some bleach...and make them all peach colored. :)

• Pawprint
    14 years ago

vicki_lv, your right about the lack of a soak cycle! I know its not the most convenient, but I unplug my machine during a wash cycle for soaking. I sometimes soak things in bluing for an hour. It wont drain when unplugged. hehehe

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

Glad to see this thread. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer right now. (I posted a few day's ago about a second floor laundry). I think I'll be getting the Bosch Axxis stackable. Can anyone please tell me: the internet is full of people complaining about the "jet engine"-like noise at full spin with front loaders. What exactly does this sound like--and is it loud?

• grams33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for all your quick responses for the info on washing machines. It seems the only way to avoid the musty smell is to keep the door opened? That would not be too good where mine are located unless it can be open just a bit. Mine is located right by the bathroom door and would block the doorway.You are a good group of people and are a great source of info. Thanks again.

• gadgets
    14 years ago

I've only had one top loader in all my life of washing clothes. I couldn't wait for it to need replacing so I could go back to front loaders. My current one is a 3 yr old Frigidaire. I notice some of you say you don't have a soak cycle. I do on mine. Also I can open mine to add something except for a few of the cycles........if you try then, it locks and you can't accidentally open it. About the only thing I don't like about this one is that all my others had doors that pulled open from the top and dropped down. That way I could easily unload the clothes directly on the door. My dryer is that way so it was easy to transfer. This one is a side opener.......I hate it. I also leave my door open though the instructions say not to as a child could crawl in, etc. There are no kids or pets here so no problem.

Shirley

• frazoo
    14 years ago

Measure your space carefully! We just moved and bought a top loader because front loader sets would not fit the space. The people who bought our house own a front loader set and came back over to measure the space before finalizing the sale. Theirs fit the space....barely. Whew! They bought our house!

Leslie/KS

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Can anyone please tell me: the internet is full of people complaining about the "jet engine"-like noise at full spin with front loaders. What exactly does this sound like--and is it loud? We use to say ours sounded like an airplane taking off... I had forgot about it though and we haven't even had ours for a year yet. We got used to it real quick. It wasn't loud, just different from what we were used to with the top loader.

I just leave the door ajar... maybe open a quarter to an inch open.. just enough to let air circulate somewhat.

• Linda Wayman
    14 years ago

Lydia, I haven't noticed a noise like that with ours. As a matter of fact the first few times I used the washer I had to go make sure it was running because it was so quiet.

I love my front loader and the pedestals.

Linda

• coral_ok
    14 years ago

Our towels all had a mildewy smell that made us feel the need to shower again immediately, and we couldn't figure out for the longest time where it was coming from. Someone suggested it could be our new front loader. Bingo! I have to do more than just keep the door ajar, however, because water actually pools down in the rubber thingie (gasket?). I now keep a rag stuffed in there to soak up all the excess water when the machine is not in use, and I also keep the door open. No more icky smell...and I love the front loader because there's no agitator to get in the way when washing comforters, etc.

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

LMAO Sue.....it would be great for the joints....think of it as exercise.....Stacy

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

If I had those I would miss using the clothes rod above my reg washers. With the pedestals there wouldn't be room for clothes to hang. I wouldn't buy them at all if they don't take care of the smell problem. Open doors would be a real danger with small children around and there shouldn't be a smell problem at all. They improve with almost every new model, so they will eventually find a way to fix that.

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

My Bosch has a soak cycle too.

The first time I heard the "jet plane taking off" I stood there and watched it. I couldn't believe the sound of power! It sure spins the water out! It didn't take long to just get use to it.

• buzzard
    14 years ago

I have an LG front load washer/dryer. I don't leave the door ajar after use and have never had a musty smell. I love all the options, even a soak cycle.

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

I've never looked into the front loaders...but what I'd like to have one for is...you can put a counter top over the top of them for folding. I would love that and have shelves above it.

patti

• patches_02
    14 years ago

Vicki lv, i have the Maytag neptune and when i want to soak something i put the machine on pause for awhile so it soaks then push pause again and it continues on with the wash. I've had this machine for three years now and love it. I too leave the door open for awhile after use.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I wish I had a front loader. I bought a top loader in 2001. It works fine, and between loads I leave the top up so it doersn't smell. But those beautiful front loaders. . .

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

You get used to the jet taking off in your laundry room noise. It really isn't that bad.

Patti, I had a removable shelf installed above my front loader washer/dryer and I just love it. I live in a small house and used to have to fold clothes on the floor in the living room. Now I just scoop them out of the dryer and fold them right on top of the shelf. I made the shelf removable so it is easy to service the washer and dryer, vacuuming behind them and replacing the hoses, etc. The shelf I had installed is a laminate countertop slab that sits on braces attached to the surrounding walls. I also use the shelf for things that need to dry flat.

Very useful.

• Pawprint
    14 years ago

I agree with everyone, as I also forgot about the jet engine spin cycle. Its not that bad, and well worth the money. It is statistically proven that the high speed spin will cut 20 minutes of drying time.

I think that number is pretty accurate. Also, I dont leave the door wide open. I leave it slightly ajar, and wipe out the left over water in the rubber seal. (I always left the lid up on my top loader so it could dry out also.)

Someone mentioned rinsing. Most front loaders have a soap suds sensor, and will adjust rinse cycles accordingly. This was invented as many of, unknowingly, used too much soap.

Also, the rinse cycle is VERY different than a top loader. During a rinse, my washer cycles water in and out, a little at a time. These machines never fill full of water, the action is pulling, or pushing water "through" the clothes. Clothes use each other as friction, so no agitator is needed.

Lastly, the rinse cycle consists of many spin cycles at different speeds. Unlike a top loader, these machines can spin at any speed. You can program which RPM spin cycle you would like, as the highest speed is too much for delicate items, however, before this final spin, it will spin slow and medium, backwards and forwards.

• iowagirl2006
    14 years ago

I have really learned a lot on this thread!

My top loader works great - and I can't justify the cost of a new front load (yike$!) when mine is working.

My girlfiend also says how dry the clothes come out. That would be awesome.

How long does a cycle take?

Do you think the pedestals could be "homemade"?

• gadgets
    14 years ago

iowagirl:

"How long does a cycle take?" There are all different cycles but my 'normal' selection takes 46 minutes.

Shirley

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I think the washing cycles take longer than a top loader, but the drying time is shorter, so it all works out about the same as a top loader IMO.

The link below shows how someone has made a pedestal. Every store I've went to though has had some pedestals on clearance. You may not get a matching color, but you might find something that would look okay anyhow. I've seen clearance pedestals as low as $8.00. You do have to buy the correct brand for your w/d however. Check Craigslist too, some people got free pedestals with their w/d, but didn't want to use them for whatever reason.

• stephanie72
    14 years ago

We have the Kenmore Elite HE5 steam washer/dryer and I love them. They wash really well, and fast. They don't leak or smell musty, although the salesperson did say that when the washer is not in use, it's best to leave the door cracked open a tiny bit so it gets air. I dont usually do that (because I forget) and have never had a problem with the smell.

We love them so much, we just bought another set for our house at the lake.

• Pawprint
    14 years ago

How long does a top loader take to fill up?
    I thought it took awhile. My front loader starts washing when the water starts. I think that saves time?

• mcmann
    14 years ago

My Kenmore HE front loaders are 5 years old and I love them for all the reasons everyone has already stated.

The only comments I can add is that - the inside of a front loader washer is darker than a top loader because most laundry rooms have an overhead light which obviously shines into the interior of a top loader better than through the opening of a front loader.

When my washer is done I just spin the drum around once with one hand to make sure I don't have a sock or washcloth stuck to the drum. It spins so well and removes so much water that it's not unusual for something to stick to the drum.

I leave both the door slightly ajar and the soap dispense slightly pulled out to allow air inside. I've never had a musty smell even when I forget to leave the door open. It's more apt to happen when the appliances are new due to user error- using too much soap.

One other thing I like is that my Kenmore's came with a brace that can be used to stack them if need be.

For those individuals who have small spaces or closets for their washers I saw a nifty item at my plumbing supply. Many laundry rooms have the copper pipes for the water supply plumbed outside of the drywall. You can cut into the wall between the studs and add this nifty plastic liner and then recess your copper pipes between the studs. You can then push you washer all the way back to the wall. If I did it I could easily gain 10" of floor space.

• stephanie72
    14 years ago

A normal cycle on mine takes 40 minutes. If you do an Express cycle, it's less or a bulky/bedding cycle, it's longer. It just depends.

The dry time is actually sensored. It starts out with a 45 minute dry time but it's usually quite a bit less. I notice it dries clothes alot faster than my old dryer.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

they have several cycles but the longest is 90 (that includes my extra rinse) minutes...reg or sports is about 65. the dryer is awesome in size and if you the heavy duty it's about 40 minutes! now towels sometimes take a bit longer...

downside? heavy duty cycle shakes the machine! it could be because we installed ourselves, and our 1956 house has crooked floors...

i bought my set at costco.

• cynic
    14 years ago

How long a cycle takes is like asking how long does it take to cook a meal. It varies. It will make a difference if you're using a heater in the washer and if the washer has a 110v or a 220v heater. It'll also depend on the number of rinse cycles, and much more. If you have a heater and use a sanitize cycle, you can have a cycle take hours to complete.

There's a difference between using a front load and a top load. For some, it's an easy adjustment but for some it's not so easy. How much detergent you use will also vary on the type of machine, the load, they type of detergent, water conditions and more.

Most front loaders have higher spin speeds and will extract more water and the amount varies from machine to machine. Many people don't understand that a 1000 RPM or 1200 RPM spin speed advertised on machines is very misleading. First, many people have experienced wrinkling issues with high spin speeds since it plasters the clothes against the drum and putting wrinkles into them. This of course varies with the clothes. So some people don't use the highest spin speed. Also, the spin cycle does not run at the max speed during the spin cycle. It starts out slow and speeds up and slows down while it balances the load and might only reach the top spin speed for a couple minutes so it's not spinning at that speed very long. Nevertheless, it does help extract more water, that is true. And of course the less water, the shorter the drying time.

Many people have tinkered with the water levels on the front loaders because they're not happy with the water levels especially for rinsing but also occasionally for washing. Many machines have "bulky" cycles that use more water. However one thing that you should be aware of is you should not plan on paying for a machine with water savings. Generally speaking there's some savings in water and a bit in electricity but many will argue on the true savings on detergent when you look at all factors. I won't go into this argument. Just because you use less water doesn't necessarily mean you should use less detergent. You need proper amounts of detergent to suspend the dirt to remove it from the clothes. There's a lot more to it that I won't go into but suffice to say it's also naive to think you'll pay for a machine through detergent and water savings. Most front loaders are substantially more expensive than top loaders.

There's also HE (high efficiency) top load washers out like the Fisher & Paykel, GE Harmony and the Whirlpool Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos models. For those with ergonomic concerns these can give many of the benefits of a front loader.

Smell is a concern of many. It's my belief that the vast majority is simply pilot error. Much of the smell comes from excess humidity, either in surrounding areas or not ventilating the machine properly. It can also be caused by improper dosing of detergents and fabric softeners. Using too much or too little can be problematic.

You can build pedestals or shelves yourself but be careful to build it properly. Front loaders are substantially heavier machines than most top loaders. I raised my "conventional" front load dryer up because of problems bending and reaching. FYI Fisher & Paykel has a top load dryer that is very popular with most of their owners. Some with front loaders have a chair and sit down to transfer the items. That wouldn't work for me though. My dryer has the hamper door (drop down type - Whirlpool) and it's perfect for me to use the door as a folding shelf when I remove things from the dryer. Then I set the stuff on top of the dryer or on top of the washer or put it into a basket to take upstairs.

No properly working washer of any type (including scrub board and washtub) should leak. That said, you do have to exercise a bit of caution on treating the gasket carefully and the gasket as mentioned before often holds some water that will allow some mold growth. Many just wipe it with a rag but leaving the door open for a while to air out works well for most. If you have the machine in a very humid area you'll have more trouble than a very dry area.

Most all front loaders will let you add an item if the water level isn't above the door however sometimes there's a time delay before it unlocks and if it's doing a sanitize cycle it might not let you open it if the water is dangerously hot.

People have favorite brands but often there's a Ford/Chevy debate that goes on. Some insist that you must have a heater. Some feel you need gigantic capacity. It really depends a lot on your laundry needs. It's like asking whether to buy a subcompact car or a dump truck. Each satisfied owner will suggest theirs but it might not meet your needs. You should first consider your budget. Why consider a $2000+ washer if you can't afford more than $200? Then look at the size of loads, types of clothes, cycles that have been important to you historically and that will give you a starting point. It's also important to consider who will service the machines. LG for instance has pretty iffy availability of service in a lot of areas so many think twice about it. Find out what is available for reliable service people in your area and what brands/models they service. Few these days repair them all.

There is a laundry forum and there is truly a wealth of information there that can be very valuable in your research. There's service people there too and some give very very good advice and opinions that are fair to all sides. However be forewarned that many people are very protective of their appliances! You see a lot of childish bickering going on in KT but there's some heated arguments in the laundry forum when there's differing opinions. Some won't have their machines criticized! (But the same happens here in other ways too.) Just read with an open mind and you'll tell when someone is biased and misrepresenting things or giving factual info and trying to be fair. Often you can't compare things when they're so very different.

• gneegirl
    14 years ago

You probably have all the info you need with all of the posts before mine. But, I just had to chime in to say - no more top-loader; I don't care what happens. I have the Bosch 800 series; I've have for a little more than a year. Two things that go with me when I move - my granite countertop and washer/dryer set. I would look at the Whirlpool to compare since I've heard good things, and really wish I could try the "steam" models. Also, check the laundry forum - VERY HELPFUL (at least when I was getting mine). You'll see my posts up there too.

I will say that I have smelled that mildewy odor but I usually keep the door open and that takes care of it. The washer is located in a very humid area so maybe that makes it more noticeable. There are other things you can do - I use "XO" in the water and that is a whole new set of good things, including any unwanted oder.

Best thing - no more bending over - Am I lazy or what????

• neesie
    14 years ago

I don't have one. My co-worker goes on and on all the time about hers and why I've got to get one. But, hey, I'm almost an empty nester with not much laundry unlike her with tons of kids and two grandchildren at home. And another reason, if it ain't broke, why fix it? And the last reason, I'm on a well and don't pay for water so the water saving features don't mean much to me. But mostly it's the fact that I already have a working machine that does a good job.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot one other important point about the smells in washers. People are way too often using way too cold of a temperature in washing these days. Simply running HOT washes occasionally will help clean out the machine and eliminate odors. Use a thermometer to see what your temperature is in the machine since adding warm water to a cold machine will instantly drop the water temp.

Bleach hlps clean the machine out too. Dishwasher detergent with enzymes are good for cleaning too.

And I agree completely with you nessie, my machine is over 30 years old and going strong. I don't care if I use a few more gallons of water. Big deal. My clothes come out clean. I know how to use it. It's reliable and why waste thousands of dollars to save a few pennies in electricity or a couple gallons of water. To me, form follows function. I don't try keeping up with the Jones' and appliances are not a status symbol to me like they are to so many (see the laundry forum! LOL) I'll consider a(n) HE machine when and if I need to replace this one. But I hope this one goes another 30 years!

• chisue
    14 years ago

The lead carpenter on our house built platforms to raise my washer, dryer AND the laundry tub (so I can more easily wash our Westie).

I bought bottom of the line Frigidaires. The washer was $300 and lasted four years before a house-sitter overloaded it. I'm into year five on its identical replacement, which also cost $300. The original dryer is going strong. I can keep replacing this cheapie front loader a couple more times for the cost of a high-end brand --- and it works JUST FINE.

I don't like adding anything back into my clean clothes, but I do put Calgon in the dispenser meant for 'fabric softeners' and I always set for double rinse. Lots of clothes aren't 'drab', they're just full of left-over soap and 'fabric softeners'. If you think that's happening to you, run a load of clothes with nothing but water, or with water plus Calgon. Eeek! Suds!

The front-loads run longer, but they extract more water so the dryer runs less time. (I also love my Fisher Paykel dishdrawers -- little water, little detergent.)