I have a landscaping question.

bryansda

What would be a good material to use around my house that will help keep snakes away? I don't want mulch, I think it's pretty but termites love it and so do snakes. If I go with gravel will snakes stay away from river rock or do I need something that is sharp? Does anyone else have any other ideas besides gravel?

I'm not a gardener or even enjoy that kind of thing, but some landscaping has to be done.

Thank you for the help.

Pam

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

snakes will actually lay on rocks to sun especially the smooth river rock. I don't know of anything that would repel them. Something sharp like lava rock might, but just guessing.
I have seen sprays and stuff at garden centers that are supposed to help keep snakes away you might look for something like that.
Chase snakes away � naturally!

Snake Stopper

I know I have often heard of putting out mothballs to help repel snakes.

try googling snake repellent

Save    
soxxxx

Maybe not right for you but..

in semi desert like west Texas they build tall cinderblock fences to keep out rattlesnakes.

One that I saw did not have an outside gate. It was entered by the back door. It was to give the children a safe place to play.

Save    
roseluver

Have you thought of using a landscaping fabric with a thin layer of pinestraw or leaves? I never have problems with snakes.

Save    
maire_cate

I can second the advice to avoid stones or mulch. We have found baby rattlesnakes in a mulch pile and other snakes bith underneath rocks and sunning on top.

Do you know what kind of snakes they are? Moth balls do work but you have to be careful that children and pets can't get to them.

Save    
brightonborn

OMG you poor soul.... my comment would be to move...not practical I know..

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

bryansda, have you actually seen snakes around your home...or are you just nervous (petrified) about them?

If you have seen snakes, what kind...and what are they after?

Save    
bigack

In what state do you live?

Save    
marie_ndcal

You might go to a large nursery, County Ag department, or even if you have someone specializing in reptiles.=like a zoo etc.
We use cedar pieces, but I do think snakes would crawl over them and dig down to get out of the heat etc. Do you have mice in the area to attract them, or something else. Even when we lived in the desert we never had problems. But then we did not plant near the house due to that reason plus fires. If you want plants, you could use large barrels, or build planters on cement. Snakes are also attracted to water.

Save    
bryansda

I live in KY. So far all we've seen have been black snakes in our yard. My neighbors have killed copperheads and a timber rattler was killed when a new house was built 2 lots over from us. A couple of weeks ago hubby killed one that was coming in our garage and the door wasn't open long. It was a rat snake, but I don't want any snakes. We have woods behind our house but the dogs and cats seem to keep them run off for the most part. I want to put some kind of border around the house but don't want mulch because of termites and I know snakes like it. I was thinking about plants but may go with planters so they won't have as many hiding places.

Moth balls are out of the question because of my dogs and cats. Walls are out of the question too because of the size of our yard, 9/10s of a acre. We haven't put up a fence because it was going to be in the neighborhood of $10,000 just for a chain link.

I like the idea of calling the extension office for our county. I hadn't thought of that one.

Thank you for the ideas.

Pam

Save    
bulldinkie

Termites dont love treated mulch,you just have to get treated ,if you buy it bagged it will tell you treated por not.

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

To be brutally honest about this, you need to know that snakes are a natural part of a healthy ecosystem. I know that that means little when you're phobic about them and I more than appreciate that! I'm a full-fledged arachnophobe, myself. Give me a snake any time over a big wolf spider.

If it's any comfort, rat snakes can help keep the poisonous ones away. Hopefully, the wooded area will remain in place to provide a habitat for the snakes, or they all WILL end up in your lap. Be alert for voles, mice, ground squirrels, and other little pests. Snakes will seek them out.

By the way, studies have proven over and over that termites can thrive under ANY kind of material used to cover the soil, including rock and gravel. Some research indicates that they survive longer under the gravel than wood mulch! Best option is to keep any material several inches away from the house. If you do that, you can use the wood mulch which is so much better for our plants and the soil.

2 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Plants attract wild life. I live in the woods. I have a huge shade garden. I have slugs. Slugs attract frogs,snakes love frogs...Saying that this year is the first in 12 I ever saw a snake in my garden and this year I have seen many. They are harmless garder snakes but still they startle me. Your issue with dangerous ones is more serious. I have a feeling activity,animals, kids, BBQ's is your best deterrent. They prefer to be left alone is the impression I get. I have never heard of a ground cover that deters snakes, sorry.

Save    
jannie

I've seen a product called "Snake Away" that you shake from a can. Don't know if it works. I haven't seen a garter snake on my property in about 25 years. I wouldn't use moth balls, they hurt your environment and can kill dogs, cats, as well as get into your water system.

Save    
bryansda

rhizo I know snakes are a natural part of the ecosystem. The rat snake would still be alive if it had headed back out of the garage when hubby tried to get it to go that way. When we've found snakes in the past he's taken them to the woods so they can go about their merry way. I'm just trying to come up with something to deter them rather than invite them closer to the house.

Thanks for all the information especially about the treated mulch.

Pam

1 Like Save    
nycefarm_gw

I think there are commercial products that deter them. Also heard that they will not cross a lime barrier, or oyster shells, it hurts their skin?

Save    
Michelle Moore

Does any one know if snakes can crawl over broken glass?

Save    
quasifish

When we lived in an area with quite a few rattlesnakes we found the best line of defense was to keep the landscaping unattractive to them. No grass or weed patches left standing- try to eliminate hiding/resting places. I always came across them in heavy grass, but it will depend on where your snakes like to hang out. Keeping the landscaping in a way that deters mice and other critters that they come for helps too.

Do coffee grounds repel snakes? They may deter rodents and other critters, which in turn might help deter snakes. I used coffee grounds to deter neighborhood cats who were pooping in our planters. It took a lot of regular sprinkling of the coffee grounds, but after a time, it seemed to work pretty well.

From personal experience, I would avoid rock. Not snake related, but it has been a pain to maintain for us.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

First time post pulls up an 8 year old thread.

Save    
joann_fl

I just saw on TV today, they said to replace your mulch with rocks (the sharp kind) then spray with the snake rid stuff. I will not by it myself since it has snakes all over the carton.

Save    
marilyn_c

Funny thing...I like snakes and I live on a bayou with woods and high grass and bushes all around. I very seldom see any snakes and almost never in the yard. I don't do anything to repel them, but they don't like activity and the dogs and cats are probably are the reason for that.

1 Like Save    
tee sa

hey @marilyn_c! I read all you opossum posts! very cool. Im in Houston and I have 3 juveniles and a mom in my yard every night. Ive been feeding them Peters food mixed with fruits, veggies, and 3 teaspoons of yogurt. is there a way I can send you a message on here asking any diet questions for their food?

Save    

Related Stories

Design Dilemmas: 5 Questions for Houzzers!
Post Ideas for Landscaping for a Modern Home, Updating a Rental and More
Full Story
Paths 7 Questions to Ask Before Laying Stepping Stones
These broken-up pathways invite you to put a spring in your step — while adding functionality to the garden
Full Story
Fences and Gates 7 Questions to Help You Pick the Right Front-Yard Fence
Get over the hurdle of choosing a fence design by considering your needs, your home’s architecture and more
Full Story
Decorating Guides 8 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Meeting With Your Designer
Thinking in advance about how you use your space will get your first design consultation off to its best start
Full Story
Design Dilemmas: 4 Questions for Houzzers
Share Your Advice for a Low-Water Garden, Wet Bar, Family Room and Basement Spa!
Full Story
Decorating Guides 12 Questions Your Interior Designer Should Ask You
The best decorators aren’t dictators — and they’re not mind readers either. To understand your tastes, they need this essential info
Full Story
Most Popular Considering a Fixer-Upper? 15 Questions to Ask First
Learn about the hidden costs and treasures of older homes to avoid budget surprises and accidentally tossing valuable features
Full Story
Life 15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story
Curb Appeal Curb Appeal Feeling a Little Off? Some Questions to Consider
Color, scale, proportion, trim ... 14 things to think about if your exterior is bugging you
Full Story