SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickey1501

virus advice for everyone just in case

Mickey15
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

We run a computer business and virus cleanup is part of what we do. Please everybody, beware of a popup that offers to download "XP Antivirus 2008". This is a virus, a very, very very bad one. We have had probably 25-30 computers in here in the last 6 weeks with this virus, and it is so bad that we have just been doing clean installs ont he computer because that is quicker than cleaning up the virus.

For those that don't know, whenever anything pops up on your screen at you and you don't know what it is, ALWAYS hit the x in the top right corner to close the box. If the box has a button that says CLOSE or CANCEL, do not click those. All the buttons in the box will bring the viruses/spyware on through, ONLY HIT THE X in the top right corner of the box to get out of it.

We have had 2 people that clicked on this "xp antivirus 2008" box, and then followed the links and paid for what they thought was a legitimate program. One person was charged $300 3 times on their credit card.

I just thought I'd share with you guys and hoepfully save you some time, hassle and money.

Tammy

ps This is not a forwarded email that I'm pasting and putting here. We do actually own a business and are dealing with this virus firsthand. TamiOH can vouch for me. You can email me if you have any questions about it.

Comments (24)