SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_ok

Hiatal hernea?

cheryl_ok
12 years ago

I've been told by doctor I have a hiatal hernea. She said some people can live with it and some elect surgery.

Have any of you had one?

Actually it was the nurse that called me with my results. I have questions to ask my doctor but wanted to post here to hear your experiences with this type of hernea.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• chessey24
    12 years ago

I have a hiatal hernia and have lived with it for years. One side effect I've had has been acid reflux which has been controlled for years with Protonix. The thing that has helped the most in the last few years has been losing weight - since I've lost over 30 lbs, I've been able to go off the med and control it with an as-needed dose of OTC med or even Tums. It's an internal hernia and not one that has the problems that an inguinal or abd. hernia might produce.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Most people don't have surgery. As chessey stated, it's not something you can feel, like an inguinal hernia. If you are overweight the best thing to do would be is to lose weight so that there is less pressure pushing the hernia up into your chest causing reflux. Also avoid triggering foods/drinks which are usually things like coffee, alcohol, and fatty foods. The surgery for it is called "nissen fundoplication" and it's not a real easy procedure, although they do it laproscopically nowadays. I would talk to your doctor to get more information about your options. Good luck.

• cheryl_ok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not overweight. They found this when they did a scan for possible kidney problems. I guess the hernea explains all the throwing up I do and why I feel sick all the time.
    I have questions for my doctor when she gets back to me. I can handle upsets from time to time but sure don't want to feel this terrible everyday.
    thanks!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

yes I have had one probably pretty much forever. I have very very bad acid reflux or GURD, I have to have regular endoscopes done to check for erosion (which can lead to a specific type of cancer BarrettâÂÂs esophagus). I stay on one of the meds for that, usually either prilosec or prevacid, both work well for me. I have never had surgery for it and my doctors have not advised it.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Cheryl, a suggestion would be to have an upper endoscopy to do a definitive diagnosis. Having a hiatal hernia can cause Barretts which is irritation of the esophagus from stomach acids. Barrett's is not cancer, but irritation that MAY lead to dysplagia which could lead to cancer. During the endoscopy the gastroenterlologist will take biopsies to determine what is going on. It sounds to me like this is more than just slight discomfort for you. Having GE reflux disease (GERD) alone can cause Barrett's, even without the hiatal hernia. Upper endoscopies are done with sedation, so there should be no discomfort with the procedure.