SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Cloverfield and Starman

Kathsgrdn
15 years ago

We rented these two movies from Netflix and just go through watching them. Starman was ok. I thought it was a lot better when I first watched it years ago. It was made in 1984. The kids were making fun of it all the way through.

Lauren had seen Cloverfield and told me to put it on Netflix because it was good. But it wasn't. We watched it all the way through but it reminded me of the Blair Witch Project. Awful!

I still have The Golden Compass to watch. Both kids have seen it.

Have you seen any good videos lately?

Comments (11)

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

i re watched starman on encore last month and still enjoyed it..think today's kids are too jaded...i still think when i'm coming to a yellow light..."go fast", lol...

an interesting one is the "waitress"...not exactly kid fare, as there is a verbally abusive dh...and she has an affair with her ob...

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan, the kids actually laughed at that line in the movie. Alex made the comment after a few minutes into it, "wow, it's in color!"

• ronf_gw
    15 years ago

We recently watched 'Death at a Funeral' from Netflix. I thought it was hilarious. One of thiose movies where you laugh until your face hurts. It is rated R so it's not one for the kids.

Ron

• jomo
    15 years ago

I finally got my DVD player fixed and am enjoying my Box set of Old black and white Thin Man movies. I have a feeling my DGKs will think they are silly but that's their problem. I plan to treat myself with the third one this afternoon. Don 't want to use up my treats too fast. I will still have The Matrix to look forward to later on.

• casey_nfld
    15 years ago

Actually I loved Cloverfield, absolutely loved it! I hear they are making another one from a different person's perspective and I will watch that too. And I loved Blair Witch Project! LOL Different tastes. The Golden Compass was so-so, nothing all that great. We watched Penelope last weekend, I thought that was cute. Really liked Jumper and Vantage Point.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I loved Cloverfield. I liked the chase thru the New York City subways, and how you never really saw the "monster". I didn't like Blair Witch Project, but I once got lost on a nature walk and it seemed very realistic. The second Blair Witch movie was terrible.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I haven't seen Cloverfield, but read some reviews of it that said moviegoers were getting sick watching it. I'm really prone to motion sickness, so it's definately not on my "to see" list! lol

The commercial with the car moving like the marble game makes me ill, I have to turn away when it comes on.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lydia, Blair Witch did that to me, watched it in a movie theater. On the small screen Cloverfield wasn't nearly as bad, but it was extremely annoying. Lauren had seen it with her father and said it was good. Alex and I waited all movie long for it to get good, never happened.

• liz
    15 years ago

I loved Starman...Cloverfield..well it was better then I thought it was gonna be...

I loved Waitress...except for her fooling around with the OB...It has such a sad but TRUE story behind it...Adrienne Shelley the lady who plays "Dawn" in the movie wrote, directed, and produced this movie...She was tragically murdered in her office in New York City at the end of the year this movie was made...SOOO SAD...her hubster started a scholorship fun to aid women trying to break into the film industry in the director, producer type roles...Also, that is her REAL child who plays Lulu at the end...I was so saddened to read this..(I usually pull up the particulars on imdb.com when I'm watching a movie)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

The Dish. Loved it. Story in an Australian village of the large radio receiving dish installed in a meadow at the mayor's idea. It is a true story about the largest dish in the southern hemisphere. Apollo 11 comes along, and NASA and Nixon ask to use the dish to broadcast the first walk on the moon with that dish being the only one that can receive the signal from the moon. Town is visited by politicians, who muck up their efforts to have the dish ready. All sorts of complications. Reminds me of Waking Ned Devine in a way. Delightful and historical.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I loved Starman, it was so romantic. My kids have never seen it. They don't like anything that I like.