SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

The Jaycee Dugard interview with Diane Sawyer

maire_cate
12 years ago

Is anyone else watching this interview? I am just absolutely chilled watching this. I cannot comprehend how this young woman managed to survive 18 years of horror and grow into an absolutely remarkable young woman. God bless her.

Comments (19)

• susan_on
    12 years ago

I'm just watching it now. She's amazing!

• ntt_hou
    12 years ago

I watched it. I agree, she's amazing. I guess it's true in her case that what didn't kill her, made her stronger.

In somewhat, I resented the previous girl (who was raped for 8 hours), from dropping her case for prosecuting this terrible monster. He was set free which gave him a chance to kidnapped Jaycee.

Jaycee is beautiful inside and out. I have no doubt that she will find her true love.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I didn't know it was on, but I'll look to see when it repeats so I can watch it. I'm glad to hear that Jaycee is doing well in spite of everything.

• User
    12 years ago

She is so impressive with her demeanor. I was horrified to relive the things she went thru. For only having a 5th grade education, she's quite articulate and poised. I wish her and her daughters a wonderful life.

• nanny98
    12 years ago

What an astonishing story and what a wonderful testament to the survival of the human spirit. Just blows me away!

• gemini40
    12 years ago

I agree totally with everybody comments thus far.One amazing woman.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

I will buy her book, not so much because I want to read the horrors she went through, but as a show of support to her. I am so glad she and her family are financially well for the rest or their lives, thanks to the settlement but if only the state of California had done it's job in this first place! Think of the many years that poor girl would not have had to suffer. She truly is beautiful inside and out.

• User
    12 years ago

I didn't see the interview either, but it's so refreshing to hear a story of healing and restoration in someone's life. I guess the old saying 'hope springs eternal' is true. She never gave up hope when many would have.

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

I looked for it, and watched the interview. What a delightful young woman! Courages!

I will buy her book as well. Anything to support her.

Here is the story

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaycee's interview

• patti43
    12 years ago

I agree with you all. It was a horrible, but somehow fascinating to listen to her. One thing I wish they had omitted was the way they got her into the car. It may just give some other weirdos the idea. And a kid can't fight that or run either.

• quilly
    12 years ago

What an incredible story. What happened in the last few minutes, the final segment of the show? Dianne Sawyer was going to give an update on what Jaycee and her Mother were doing now. Unfortunately I had a late minute phone call and missed it.

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link Moni. I missed the show last night. Jaycee looks like my DGD and the abuser looks like her Dad. DGD's dad was also a pedifile but he used her sister. He was finally caught and is now in prison.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I missed the show. I had an "uncle" (now deceased) who wasn't allowed around children because he had molested two of my older female cousins.He used to bring bags of candy to family functions. When he died, he left all his money to charity, not my cousins he had wronged. My Mom was always angry about that.

• alisande
    12 years ago

Thanks for mentioning this, Maire, and thanks for the link, Moni. I'll watch it now.

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

ntt hou - I think it was the first child he raped that did not testify against him. The second woman - young girl - the one they found him with in the storage unit - did and he was put in prison for that but released early. Back then - and probably still - parents did not want their children having to relive what happened by pressing charges.

Jaycee is amazing. I am just amazed that she could get through that interview without falling apart. I am sure there are demons that she does struggle with. She has done a wonderful job of protecting her girls from the media. I wish her all the happiness life can bring her and her family.

• stephmc72
    12 years ago

This interview bothered me on so many levels. First, she's turned into an absolutely amazing person and is so articulate with her thoughts having very little education. What an inspiration and a true survivor.

But, what really got to me was not only the absolute horror she had to endure by these people, but the EPIC FAILURE by the justice system. Not only did parole officers visit his house 60 times, the police came in response to a neighbor saying there were kids living in the backyard and they didn't even go in the yard to check. They chatted at the door and left. That really disgusts me. And the video of them manipulating the parole officer through their house, getting him to hurry out because they were harassing him...they knew what they were doing, but the professionals weren't doing their job very well. The whole thing really makes me sick to my stomach. And the video of his wife filming him "sing" in the park but what they were really doing was filming kids playing. So gross. I could go on and on...

• User
    12 years ago

The kidnappers deserve the death penalty if anyone does although they don't qualify since no one died. Jaycee just lived 18 years of hell.

• stephmc72
    12 years ago

The kidnappers deserve to be tortured for the rest of their lives. The death penalty is too easy. Too bad they have Phillip Garrido isolated because he'd have his time if the rest of the prison population got to him.

• patti43
    12 years ago

Steph, I agree that the system failed that poor girl completely. They did receive $$ because of it, though. Not to say that changes anything, though. I hope and pray that more people will take her attitude and not be afraid to stand up in court to testify.

I think it was important to show the part about her taking pictures of him singing in the park, if for no other reason than to make parents/caregivers more aware of what may be going on around them. I just didn't like that they told how he captured her. No reason in the world for that!

Her bravery just may change the way the world, in general, looks at rape victims--young or old.