SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Does anybody know about squirrels?

susan_on
14 years ago

My son has a huge problem with squirrels at his house. The problem is in the upstairs bathroom window. A squirrel went in there and made a nest, and lived there all winter. I posted about this before- the tenants thought it was cute. Anyway, I removed the nest and disinfected and had the screen replaced. Then he busted through again and made another nest. I got rid of him and cleaned it up and ANOTHER squirrel started a nest there. I cleaned it again and put Critter Ridder in cheesecloth, but it did not deter the squirrel at all, he just made a nest with the cheesecloth, ripping it to shreds. The CR was new too, only about 10 days old.

So my husband put hardware cloth on the window frame today and the squirrel can't get in now. DS is putting in new windows in about 8 weeks. I've been told that the squirrels are "imprinted" to go to that spot. My question is, is the imprinting all from scent? Or is it also from habit? Once the new windows go in the hardware cloth will have to come off, as it's screwed into the window frame- which will be replaced, and we don't want to put holes in the new window frame. DH says that maybe with the new window, the scent will be gone so they won't come back (apparently, it's a family that wants to live there). But I really don't want them busting through the new window. There are two windows in that bathroom, so we could keep it closed for a while, as they don't bother with the other window. But I don't know how long we would have to do that for. Does anybody know about this stuff?

Comments (15)