SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My Friend Had A Guardian Angel ( X Long as usual)

Cherryfizz
15 years ago

Last Friday one of my best friends - Kathy was in a terrible car accident. After seeing her car in the towing yard I really don't know how she walked away from this accident but her 2007 Chrysler Sebring lived up to it's 5 Point Collision safety system. Everything worked like it was supposed to.

Kathy was almost through an intersection on the Expressway Ramp on her Green light when a Hummer blew the Red light and slammed into her sending her quite a few feet down the road and pushing her up against the guardrail which saved her car from plunging down below onto the EC Row Expressway. The Hummer rolled twice and landed on its roof.

She only remembers the windowshield shattering and the dashboard instruments popping out like eyeballs in a cartoon. LOL She opened her car door after the accident and saw fluid on the road so tried to get out of her car not realizing she was still buckled in. She asked someone to help her get out which she really shouldn't have done. There was a young boy around 10 years old that was walking around calling for his Grandpa who was the driver of the Hummer. Kathy didn't know if the boy was thrown out of the Hummer or climbed out the window. His Grandparents were still buckled in the Hummer upside down. Kathy didn't think they were elderly.

This happened at 6:30 pm Friday and I got the call from the hospital at 12:30 am. They called to say that Kathy wanted me to take a taxi and come to the hospital. I was thinking something happened to her elderly Mom who lived on my street until last week when she moved into a retirement community. Kathy was on her way to visit her Mom when the accident happened and was just minutes away. If myself or her Mom had been in the car with her which would have been a good possibility we might have been killed or gravely injured.

When I asked the nurse what had happened she asked Kathy if she could tell me. She told me about the accident and that Kathy was ready to come home but needed someone to be with her. I was so shocked! I got changed and got a taxi right away. When I saw Kathy she was a mess of bruises and cuts. She didn't have the keys to her home so we went to her Mom's house on my street so I could stay over and keep an eye on her.

Kathy didn't realize the back of her denim capris were ripped until I told her. When I helped her into the bed I noticed that she had been bleeding and had a good laceration on her behind so something must have come through her seat and cut her. Kathy said the ER didn't remove her clothes so they wouldn't have seen that cut. Kathy had stitches in her finger, terrible bruising on her knees, lacerations on her knees, brusing on her arms and legs and cuts from the glass on her forearm. Bad bruising on the top of her chest under her neck. Kathy's face was okay despite the airbag being deployed.

Kathy needed to talk so I stood by the side of the bed while she talked up a storm. I think it was adrenalin. I really don't think even now it has hit her and how lucky she was to have survived. I wish I could put the pictures of the car on here. She said after the accident for a moment she was upset thinking that the accident was her fault and she cried in the ambulance saying that she wouldn't hurt anyone or didn't want to be the reason for anyone else to be hurt. The driver of the Hummer admitted it was his fault, he went through the red light and he was charged.

Kathy is very modest but around 6 am the next morning she called me in to see her bruises on her chest. She said she had to show someone! Oh my! The bruising from the seatbelt was extensive. Even days later her one breast is almost black from the bruising and there is a gaping wound in one of them that she thinks the ER doctors didn't see. Her chest under her neck is terribly bruised, her waistband where the seat belt went around, cuts and bruising where the seatbelt connected. She was lucky she didn't have any broken bones. Kathy had a CT scan and x-rays 6 hours after she was brought into the ER and while still strapped on the backboard. To get a chuckle out of her I told her maybe it was lucky that she had a big abdomen because the fat probably protected her organs from being damaged. The down side of that though she was closer to the steering wheel.

The hospital nurse had tried to reach Kathy's niece that night but Katie wasn't home and the nurse left a message. When we got home Katie's Mom called from out of town because her daughter was worried when she heard the message. Katie also thought the phonecall was about her Grandma. Kathy's brother and SIL were scheduled to come to Windsor for a visit on the Saturday anyway so that was a good thing. I think Kathy needed to be with her family and her Mother wasn't told about the accident until Sunday. Kathy's niece though went by the accident scene and her boyfriend called his parents because to make sure it wasn't them because they had a Sebring too. Katie didn't know then that it was her Aunt who was in the accident.

Kathy is afraid to drive again but her friend from work was going to take her out driving today if Kathy decided to pick up the rental car. I don't see a car in the driveway so not sure if she picked it up or not.

We had Kathy's niece drive us the next day to where they towed the car to get Kathy's keys so she could get a change of clothes from her house. I saw the car first and was shocked to the core of my being that she walked away from that crash. The Hummer was in pretty bad shape too with it's left front end crushed in and all the windows blown out. The kid in the yard who helped us got most of Kathy's keys out. He said the rest were embedded in the dash. We couldn't get the trunk open to get Kathy's golf clubs out so the kid reached under and pulled some wires which set the horn off so he said to quickly press the trunk button which unlatched the trunk. The trunk was smashed so he forced it open and we emptied the trunk. He took off one plate but couldn't find the front bumper to give us the other one.

LOL Kathy's insurance company seemed skeptical when Kathy said the police said the car was a write off. Seeing that car there is no way it can be repaired. The insurance company was having it brought to a collision repair place today to get assessed.

I don't think Kathy yet realizes how bad of an accident she was in and how injured she really was. I think it will hit her soon. Kathy thought she would be off work for just a couple of days (she is an RPN). I told her she would start feeling worse days after and she is now feeling it. She has 14 days off work now.

I told Kathy I was worried about blood clots from her bruises and she should have her injuries documented because sometime down the line they may give her problems. I still have a sore neck from the accident I was in with Kathy's SO from a few years ago. One of the cuts on Kathy's knee seems to be infected. Even with her breast injury she could end up with breast cancer in the future - you just never know. I am going with her to her appointment with her family Doctor tomorrow morning.

If you are in a car accident and it is the other driver's fault and there are injuries that may affect you in your future how do you go about claiming something like that? What if a problem doesn't show up until a year from now. We know Kathy's insurance and other driver's insurance will take care of the car and contents but what about injuries? Time off work, etc. LOL I told Kathy to even claim the tank of gas she lost in the accident.

My friend Kathy sure had a Guardian Angel watching out for her that day. The accident happened almost 2 years from the day her dear Dad (the Dad who called me his adoped daughter) passed away. I think he was watching out for her and kept her safe.

Anne

Comments (22)

• susan_on
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was in that situation, and the thing to do is to be very careful when speaking with the insurance company. She needs to notify the insurance company that she intends to sue within 90 days. If she does not proceed with a suit, it won't matter, but she needs to notify them that that is her intention, in case she ends up with long term problems.

You're right that she needs to have these injuries documented, and the sooner the better. When I had my accident, the full extent of my injuries were not known for months. Now I've had two surgeries, and may have another. I have limitations in what I can do. Hopefully, she will make a full recovery, but she needs to be prepared if she has long term injuries. She should get a lawyer that specializes in MVA's right away. This government (provincial) raised the deductible for MVA lawsuit settlements, and I think it's now $50,000; meaning out of a $100,000 settlement, you would only get $50,000 before the lawyers get paid. When I had my accident, it was $15,000. Anyway, she needs to leave the door open.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

Your friend was indeed lucky. But I'm appalled at the lack of proper medical care she received in the hospital. After an accident like that she should have been thoroughly examined - and you can't do that without removing ALL her clothes. And if I read your post correctly - she had the accident at 6:30 and they let her go home 6 hours later! I'm surprised they didn't at least keep her overnight.

And as for future complications - she might have to sue, but there usually is a one time settlement. If she doesn't like the money that's offered, she'll have to sue. I don't think it's likely that she'll get breast cancer from the car accident though.

I wish her well.

• Related Discussions

Which one? Manchester Guardian Angel or Kaiserin Aug Viktoria CL

Q

Comments (17)
    You already have my current favorite in EVH, I LOVE that rose! But I must tell you he ate my Secret Garden Musk and SGM had a couple of years head start. I'm just a few miles south of you, so our climates should be similar. SGM did quite well with BS in my no spray garden, but never really took off the way I expected. After EVH began growing wildly, SGM just faded away and recently I found it had finally died. Perhaps it was the clone I had since everyone else seems to rave about it. Two different looks of EVH: Did I say I love this rose!
    ...See More

My Friend Nancy

Q

Comments (5)
    I bought quite a few plants (hostas, heucheras, etc) from Mason Hollow when they were here for the Philly Convention. They were wonderful to talk to and had fantastic plants. I've never mail ordered from them but based on meeting them and seeing their stock in person I would highly recommend. Alexa
    ...See More

where do i plant my guardian angel?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you all for your info--I usually know more about a hosta I'm planting, but the GA was kind of an impulse purchase because so many of you have raved about it. I now know I need a large area for it and am glad it will take some sun. gg, I would love to see a pic of it and also what you mean when your's "holds its color for a long time". Does it start out one color in the spring and then change as the summer goes on? What colors are we talking about? I so love learning all I can about each one of my glorious babies. Thanks again. Mary
    ...See More

Guardian Angel more sun or shade?

Q

Comments (22)
    The reason for some of mine being in pots....I dug up and potted my hostas for an expected move that did not occur last fall. It's been a slow process deciding where to put them but I am replanting them. Lots to go yet. (and I keep buying more, lol) I must say that the ones I have in pots look great! No slug or snail bites! They have never looked better. It seems to me that the slug population in my garden is very diminished...could be due to my setting out bait on a regular basis (lazy last year) and/or due to the frigid winter we had. Moving pots around to find ideal siting is certainly an advantage...but after losing 15% of my potted plants over the winter they will go back into the ground. A few that are not so prized will overwinter in their pots, inside the garage. I have found that growing hostas in pots is more work (watering constantly) and isn't as cost-efficient as planting them....by the time you buy your soilless mix, bark fines, perlite and pots, you've just increased your investment in your hostas. Can't complain about the lack of chew holes though. Lol
    ...See More
  • Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Susan for the info. I will pass it along to Kathy.

Anne

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Don't sign off on anything. Get a lawyer, and get examined again by your own doctor. Sounds like a hurry up exam was done that night. I agree. She should have been kept overnight.
    Leslie

• ivamae
    15 years ago

Shouldn't there also be pics taken of all her cuts and bruises? I know I watch too many court cases on T.V. but on them, pics seem to help a lot.

I'm so sorry for her and this is so hard on her Mom too.

All the best to her and thank goodness she has a friend like you.
    ivamae

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

Mcmann said Your friend was indeed lucky. But I'm appalled at the lack of proper medical care she received in the hospital. After an accident like that she should have been thoroughly examined - and you can't do that without removing ALL her clothes. And if I read your post correctly - she had the accident at 6:30 and they let her go home 6 hours later! I'm surprised they didn't at least keep her overnight. I totally agree! Did they do x-rays???

I was on the edge of my seat reading your post Cherryfizz. You have such a good way of telling a story. I hope your friend is okay, but I do agree that she should get a lawyer... she doesn't know what kind of medical problems she may have in the future due to this accident.

My brother's car was cut in half (with him in it!) by a train 20 years ago and my 'tough' dad said his knees buckled and he almost fainted when he went and saw the car. It is one thing to hear about it... but a totally different thing to actually see. BTW, my brother is fine. The accident made him stop procrastinating - within 2 years he married his long-time girlfriend and they started a family!

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

No advice but I am sure glad your friend is going to be ok. As far as everyone knows. She DOES have a guardian angel!

• snap58_in_wi
    15 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear of your friends accident. She is very lucky to have a friend like you to help her out! Please take lots of pictures of her injuries, every day, to document them and how she heals. All the doctors reports in the world don't compare with seeing the shape your friend was/is in if she needs to go to court. Years ago I had a bad accident & the pictures were what 'sealed the deal'

Many, Many goods thoughts & prays to both of you,
    Ginger

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are all shocked that Kathy was released the same night. When I got to the hospital to pick her up she was in the washroom in the waiting room being sick.

Our hospitals are notorious for sending patients home when they really should stay. Kathy's elderly Mom who is on dialysis and is already compromised was sent home after her gall bladder surgery at 2:00 am even after her Doctor requrested a bed for her. My Sister who is a nurse at this same hospital says sometimes it is good you aren't staying because of the amount of infection in the hospital.

Kathy's accident was around 6:30 pm and when she was taken to the hospital by the ambulance she was seen right away and assessed, vitals monitored and her finger was stitched and her wounds bandaged. She then said she waited on the backboard with a neck brace until midnight when they did the x-rays and CT scan. I got the call at 12:30 am after the results were read and Kathy was released when no internal injuries or breakages were found.

I am surprised too that they didn't remove Kathy's clothes to look for other injuries except the ones that were visible. I guess it was because she couldn't be moved while she was still on the board.

I just looked down the street and noticed there was a PT Cruiser in Kathy's Mom's driveway so she must have gotten the rental car.

I am going with her for the drive to see her family Doctor tomrrow. I will give her my camera so he can take pictures of her injuries and we can take them to Wal-Mart and print them ourselves.

Kathy is experiencing waves of nausea. I am sure her brain took a beating and she most likely has some whiplash. I don't think she is out of the woods yet. Kathy is like me and won't take medication unless she really needs it. She finally started to take 1 Percocet at night before she goes to bed. She is sleeping quite a lot also. She doesn't take anything during the day.

I don't think Kathy will sue either but she should. I didn't sue when I broke my knee due to negligence and when I was in my car accident but I have problems 13 years later with my knee and the accident injuries seemed minor at the time but I can't move my neck and my side is numb from where the seat belt hit me. Kathy doesn't know what problems her injuries might cause her in the future.

I am sure her brother and her other friends will advise her not to sign off on anything and to get a lawyer.

Kathy walked down to my house last night and brought me flowers from her Mom's garden. She said she had to get moving and get out of the house instead of just laying on the couch. She's not moving very fast but at least she is moving. LOL

McMann, there is a lot of breast cancer in my immediate family and my Doctor told me that an injury to the breast can cause changes in the ducts and glands and which could possibly cause breast cancer in the future. I always try to protect myself from breast injury ever since he told me that.

Kathy and I grew up together and have always remained friends. Her Mom and Dad were always so good to me and she always told me I should have been her Dad's daughter instead of her. LOL After my Dad died he called me his "adopted" daughter and I took it hard when he died 2 years ago. Kathy's Mom is a dear and because Kathy was working if her Mom needed assistance or just someone to talk I would go down the street. I think I needed her Mom more than her Mom needed help from me. Kathy's Mom just went into an assisted living community last week and I miss having her nearby already. Kathy is now calling me "Nurse Anne" LOLOL I am no nurse I can tell you that. LOL

Thank you for the good wishes and advice.

Anne

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Take pictures of both vehicles and get a copy of the police report.
    If she hasn't gone to a doctor, she needs to in order that it's documented of her injuries including the ones the hospital missed. Take pictures of her whole body and do some closeups to show the extent of the injury. Keep a note book for records as to date, time, and name of any person she discussed the accident with and what was said - police, wrecker driver, hospital personnel, insurance companies, etc. The notes to not have to be word for word but enough that she will remember. No one else is to discuss the accident on her behalf unless the attorney advises all contacts be referred to them.
    Keep records of all care and expense after the accident. If someone from his insurance company calls, explain then she will not sign any waivers or any paperwork to release them from their responsibility. Their client was grossley negligent. She should contact her attorney for his/her advice as the laws are a little crazy in some states.
    I wish her the best but document everything.
    Lynn

• liz
    15 years ago

WHOA....what a scary thing to have happen to such a good buddy...I'm so glad you were there for her Anne...

• sjerin
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm so sorry for your friend. I too was struck by the lack of attention she received at the hospital. I am wondering, if one makes a fuss about leaving the hospital if it seems too soon, might they keep the person? You say that the hospitals in your area are notorious for this but I always advise friends and relatives to not necessarily accept what they are told at the hospital if they feel it is unwarranted, such as an early release. Not done in a nasty way, just with determination; it often works. These days many insurance companies try to get away with as little as they possibly can, but there's always room for discussion.

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn, I tried to take pictures of the Hummer in the towing yard but the kid that was with us prevented me from taking pictures of it. He said he couldn't understand why I couldn't but he said something about the Privacy Law. We are in Ontario, Canada, not the US.

The only person's name she has is the police officer that she talked to. He gave her his card. She was helped at the scene but didn't get names of the passersby who stopped to help.

I just talked to Kathy and passed along the advice given. I think now she will be talking to a lawyer. We are going to take pictures tomrrow. I just have to figure out how to put the date on my camera. Kathy did tell me they did remove some of her clothes and she was in a johnny shirt but they didn't remove her underwear which is why they didn't see that cut. She is just wishing she is not sleeping so much but she is in a good mood and laughing about it all. I told Kathy her family and friends are more tramatized by the accident than she seems to be. LOL

Anne

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Your laws would be different. I do think my other suggestions would still be acceptable documentation as evidence.
    If a report was made, in the US, peple on the scene are usually listed on the report as a witness. She has the officer's card and perhaps call him and inquire about a report. There may be info in the report as to the other driver's information pertaining to the accident. What caused him to run the red light? He may have stated the cause in the report. Can she remember if any cars were in front of her and went through the green light before her or was she the first vehicle. If she was the first vehicle, they might say she contributed to the accident and did not make sure traffic was clear before she proceeded. I hope she can remember details.
    She needs the doctor to indicate present injuries and the probability of future problems physically where there would be future expenses. She also needs documentation of days she could not work from her employer if she works.
    Basically she needs records of any changes in her life and expenses as a result of the accident.
    Lynn

• mombondo
    15 years ago

Holy Hannah!

I think she needs an attorney for her protection. I know we live in a "sue happy" society, but she has a legimate situation!

My prayers and positive thoughts go her way.

• okwriter
    15 years ago

One of DHs coworkers was killed instantly last week when someone blew through a stop sign. I'm glad your friend was so blessed.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

In the U.S., digital pictures are not accepted in a court of law.
    Wishing your friend a speedy and full recovery.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

I'm so glad your friend doesn't seem to be seriously hurt. I hope she continues to improve quickly.

My neice was in a bad accident when a truck failed to stop and rammed her from behind. She has had several back surgeries since the accident. The other driver's insurance company offered her a cash settlement. But she was afraid that she'd have more complications later so she rejected the offer and made a counter offer and then started proceedings for a lawsuit. The day they went to court the insurance company offered more money and she accepted. The insurance companies always want to cut their losses and get out of any future problems.

When a patient is injured and can't be moved it's normal for the ER staff to cut away the clothing so that they can properly assess the patient.

Has she requested a copy of the police report? I can understand her desire not to sue but she might consider consulting an attorney just to make sure she protects herself.

• angela_nor_calif
    15 years ago

I haven't read all of the responses above so sorry if I repeat what has already been said.

Pictures of her injuries are a must. They should be taken right away before the bruising subsides. She should keep a diary of how she is feeling, what she can/can't do. She should see the doctor (continuously if necessary)so her injuries are well documented.

Pictures should be taken of her vehicle. If you can't get pictures of the Hummer, I am quite sure the insurance companies have pics. Also whoever reported the accident, highway patrol, etc., will usually have photos.

She should contact an attorney if she plans on pursuing the matter. Dealing directly with the insurance carrier for the Hummer people will more than likely prove fruitless. She should NOT sign any papers before contacting an attorney.

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

there is a gaping wound in one of them that she thinks the ER doctors didn't see.

What???

"gaping"? Really?

She's a nurse; did she take that to a doc as soon as she saw it?

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

I am so happy she is alive, and going to be okay, but why, for the love all that is Holy, didn't the doctors and nurses check her entire body and treat all her wounds?

She should go back to the emergency room and get all her injuries seen to, treated, and documented.

It's attorney time.

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Talley-Sue - yes, it was gaping. Kathy was in no condition to assess her wounds for a couple of days. She is fairly big breasted and only found the wound when she was able to take a bath a few days later. I would say the wound is about the size of a dollar coin. I even missed it when she first showed me her chest bruising but I wasn't looking that closely at her breasts just the bruising. The wound is under the breast on the outside. It actually looks like a bullet hole not that I have ever seen an actual bullet hole in someone's body. She is still finding bruises that she didn't know she had.

Kathy did call her Doctor right away but like everything else you have to wait for an appointment which was today. Kathy did tend to her wounds like a nurse would do and she had a fellow nurse come and check her out. She wasn't mortally wounded so she waited to see her doctor.

Kathy went to her family doctor today - he had all the reports from the hospital and he noted again where all of her injuries and bruising was. She has to go back again next week.

I went with her to do some errands today and I could tell Kathy was in pain and asked her where she was feeling it the most. She said her breast and wearing a seatbelt wasn't helping any either. She said she might have to start taking a Percocet during the daytime too because of the pain.

One good thing she wasn't skittish behind the wheel of the rental car. She is a little more wary of the other drivers though.

We weren't out for more than a couple of hours and she had to get home because she was exhausted.

Kathy has nothing but good to say about the people at the hospital and the EMT and police and good samaritans that were on the scene. If I was her I would probably be moaning and groaning but Kathy is not doing that and she is allowing us to help her.

Kathy's insurance company has the police report but when she goes to see the lawyer I am sure he will get a copy.

Anne