SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dances_in_garden

Ack ack! Betrayal! Shock! Disbelief!

dances_in_garden
14 years ago

Who would do such an evil evil thing?!?!?!

There is this salad I used to love but don't eat anymore because it is packed with bacon and mayonnaise and cheese (all items I no longer eat, for the most part). It has broccoli florets coated in a dressing made from mayo, onions, bacon bits, shredded cheese, and sometimes sunflower seeds.

I got to talking to a lady at a local gourmet grocery store and she stated she could make me some that contained vegennaise (a vegan mayo), no cheese, and "bacos" instead of real bacon. It would be ready today, and I was so excited I have been thinking about that salad since before BREAKFAST.

So, after work said salad was picked up - even before the child, by the way, which should tell you how highly I hold this treat at the moment.

Got home, made DD her dinner, then sat down with a fork and the container, planning to polish off the whole thing by myself for dinner.

First bite? Bliss. Creamy, crunchy goodness. Second bite? A little odd. Third bite? A horrifying discovery.

RAISINS! What evil, vile person would put raisins in a perfectly good broccoli salad?

Oh. The inhumanity! What a world where a little dried fruit like a raisin could ruin such a beautiful treat.

First person who ventures to mention the fact that I could have made the salad myself and put whatever I wanted in it (or left out what I wanted) has to eat the vile mayo covered raisins.

Comments (40)

• susan_on
    14 years ago

That does seem like an odd combination of food. I like raisons, but that doesn't make sense to me.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

Well, do what kids all over do--pick out the rasins. Or mushrooms, or whatever. Then enjoy.

• angela_nor_calif
    14 years ago

I love broccoli salad and I love it with raisins too. My DH hates raisins in anything.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Then you definitely would not like the raisin sandwich I grew up eating.

Grate raisins, with the hand crank you attach to the kitchen counter, add chopped pecans, mayo, spread between two slices of bread and EAT AWAY!

• Marcia Thornley
    14 years ago

While I was reading your post I was thinking "What about the raisins?" It's not the real thing without them!
    Send it along Please!

• jannie
    14 years ago

Gross,in my opinion, the only salad that is good with raisins is carrot salad!

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

It wouldn't be broccoli salad without the raisins, in my opinion.

But I'm sorry you were so disappointed, after the buildup it got. Can you just pick them out? I don't think raisins "leak" onto the other stuff.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Now you understand how I feel when some culinary terrorist puts pickles in my sandwich/burger. I really choke on them. Stopped at a fast food joint a couple months ago, ordered a burger without mustard and pickles and second bite tasted a vile poison. I nearly vomited. Spit it out and tossed it. Lost my appetite. Still gag when I think of it.

BTW, anything else on the original recipe? Sounds good to me. And I need a recipe to take to an upcoming picnic. Clearly it's not a weight watcher's picnic!

You should dance on down there, take the container back and inform her you won't prosecute for attempted murder if she remakes the salad PROPERLY and throws in some lowfat cheese. Raisins... (shudder) disgusting. Now I will say I like raisins by themselves. But not in cinnamon rolls salads or the like.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I'm with you, Dances! Raisins totally ruin a broccoli salad. Raisins pretty much ruin any food as far as I'm concerned, LOL, but especially salads.

• maybee_gw
    14 years ago

My broccoli salad recipe calls for raisins...yum

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    14 years ago

Never heard of raisinw with Broccoli. I like Broccoli and I like Raisins. I just don't think they should actually "touch" each other. Yuck!

• trishaw
    14 years ago

Oh Honey I am right there with you. Raisins are evil in my world. I just can not stand them! Who in their right mind would put such a vile piece of worn out fruit in a salad!!!

Trish

• kacram
    14 years ago

Our groceries all put raisins in their broccoli salad. It is GOOD! lol

• patti43
    14 years ago

Give me raisins in anything and I'm happy--rum-raisin ice cream, raisin filled cookies and broccoli salad with raisins. Sorry, Dancin'! Glenda, what a treat that sandwich must have been. Didn't the raisins stick together in the grinder?

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

That was so....WRONG....
    I know how looking forward to a favorite is ruined by a bad flavor.

Trin

• pris
    14 years ago

I like raisins ---- In dessert. Do not want sweet things touching savory things on my plate, thank you very much. I eat my pnb samwiches on seperate plates. The only place in town that makes chicken salad sandwiches puts grapes in the salad!!! Gross!! I fully understand where you're coming from.

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

Now, if you soaked 'em in bourbon first, would you STILL be denigrating the poor little innocent raisins?

I.

Think.

Not.

:)

Hi, Dances! Miss you around here, sweetie!

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

There they go!!

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Golden raisins are good in broccoli salad, here.

Guess it's a REGIONAL thing, wink wink!

• dances_in_garden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, no recipe. I've never made it myself, I've only eaten it. And usually at salad bars LOL! We used to go to this summer party every year and one of the guests worked at a restaurant and always brought that salad (NO RAISINS rofl). It was the only reason I ever went. When he broke up with his girlfriend and stopped going, so did I. *SNORT*

Who doesn't mind raisins by themselves as long as they are chewy and not moist, or in raisin brand with ICE cold milk so they are hard, or once a year in the Glovasky Family Easter Bread. But that is it, thank you.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I put raisins in my broccoli salad. Could you just pick them out?

• vannie
    14 years ago

I can't imagine broccoli salad without raisins!! Yummo!!

• loggerbaby123
    14 years ago

omg i thought it would be gross too..i love raisins (especially in thanksgiving stuffing) but i tried it and it was grape...or great you dont know what youre missing..and yes i had the golden raisins in mine too lol

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Well glory be- I must have been living under a rock. I've never heard of broccoli salad (with or without) raisins. I'll have to pay more attention.

• suzieque
    14 years ago

I can't imagine broccoli salad without raisins, either. I've never seen it any other way.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, raisins in my broccoli salad recipe!

Sue

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

Sorry, broccoli salad needs raisins. I like them plain but don't like them cooked.

Linda

• williamsburgjane
    14 years ago

All the broccoli salad I have ever eatten whether home made or store bought has raisins in it.

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

Do I detect a certain difference of opinion around here?

I love raisins cooked with the Red River, oatmeal or Cream of Wheat cooked cereal.

Don't tell me that I'm alone in finding that tasty!

Dates go well in them, as well.

Great to hear from ya, Dances - I hope that things are going well with you. How's tjhe daughter doing? She'll be much more grown up now than when I saw her: wow! about 4 years ago, wasn't it?

ole joyful

• rthummer
    14 years ago

I like broccoli and raisins. I haven't had broccoli salad but once. I have had broccoli IN my salad. I think maybe I have had raisins in my salad on a salad buffet, (at Sweet Tomatoes), so I might like that, but I wouldn't order it.

Your post made me LOL. It was cute the way you described taking a bite into that salad. Loved it...LOL

• bluejeans4ever
    14 years ago

Sacrilege!

However, your rant made me lol and gag at the same time.

BJ

• donna37
    14 years ago

DH would make oatmeal for breakfast for he and the kids and put raisins in it, kids wanted to know why he put 'bugs' in the oatmeal and would pick them out. lol

BTW he was cooking breakfast for them because I was already gone to work having left the house about 6 am.

• LorifromUtah
    14 years ago

LOL
    Sounds like we're the Lone Rangers on this culinary issue Dances.
    I've never had raisins in a broco salad either.
    I wouldn't be adverse to eating such a salad but it's a new one to me.

You'll just have to remember to 'hold the raisins' when you order the salad next time....teehee!

Where you been anyway?
    I haven't seen you here at the KT for ions and ions....

Lori

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

I definitely want the raisins in my broccoli salad. I don't care much for raisins in sweets (although they don't make me gag or anything) but I love them in salads.

It was one of the first recipes I made on my blog back in '95.

Broccoli Salad

• Linda Wayman
    14 years ago

I put raisins in my broccoli salad, but they have to be the golden ones. Yummo!!

Linda

• cate52
    14 years ago

ICK! ICK! ICK! RAISINS ARE EVIL FOOD!!
    Hate them! ICK! ICK!

ps... I read once where they were the worst thing for kids to eat unless they brushed their teeth immediately afterwards... sticky sweet and assisted with tooth decay...

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Awww, they are just dried up grapes :)

Sue

• jennmonkey
    14 years ago

I can't stand any fruit in salads (unless it's a fruit salad made only with fruity). It seems like the latest thing to put fruit in a vegetable salad and I've tried to like it but I just can't. So, I'm on your side Dances. I like raisins otherwise though!

My new favorite veggie meal is BLTs with the Morning Star Veggie Bacon. I use real mayo though, and cheese. :) I can't get enough of that fake bacon!

• kacram
    14 years ago

Craisins are good in it too!

I also like apples and walnuts in salads too!

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

Scoot over mcmann!! Count me as another who has never heard of the broc. salad....
    Hmmmmm Kat I love craisins.....
    DH hates them so i never get to eat them in foods....hmmm but I do have some up in the cupboard that might be calling my name...Stacy