SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Greetings fellow Canadians ... Happy 141st Birthday!!

joyfulguy
15 years ago

I hope that you're having a happy day, with family and/or friends.

It's sort of a quiet day here - I got up rather late, had a leishurely breakfast, did some kitchen clean-up and spent some time in the garden. Some of my seeds were spotty in terms of sprouting, so I'm wondering what to put in the empty spots. Started erecting poles and strings for the peas and beans to climb on.

My internet service provider service ran out last night and they tell me that they can't offer DSL, which I've heard that some other providers can, but don't know if it's available this far out, over copper wire. So planned to renew for a month, while I checked out some others, but couldn't, so their tech guy said he'd fix it so I could, but after I got off he line I decided to call them and give the card number over the phone, for I suspect that I have virus/trojan horse here, so am not enthused about the possibility of a spy checking my keystrokes. Monthly is $14.95, but annual rate is at $9.95/mo. They haven't cut me off, yet, I see - I'll have to call tomorrow to renew on the phone.

I'm busy getting ready for my trip west, including doing some cleaning and organizing here, as I plan to have my landlord check my house every two or three days while I'm away.

And I'm to pick up son and friend at a neary town at 2 a.m., after they finish their stint with a carnival at a ribfest in Etobicoke, a city that's a suburb on the west side of Toronto.

As many of you know, my being awake and operational at that time of night is not an unusual event.

Just one concern - I'm a bit low on gas, so hope that I can find some on the holiday.

I'll probably visit the city to watch fireworks at 9:30 or so.

I hope that you all have a happy holiday.

How fortunate we are to live in such a peaceful country.

Have you thought of spending some time in a country where people are not so fortunate, talking with people, learning how they do things and seeking ways, with them, to improve their fortunes?

While I see many cars sporting the ribbon, "Support our troops", and agree that we should do that, I think that it's important that we also support the thousands of our people who labour in far parts of the world helping people there build better societies and lives for themselves, in ways of their choosing.

If you're not into travelling abroad, have you thought of ways that we could work toward improving the system here at home? And carried out some activities toward bringing those ideas to pass?

We've been saying for years that we, in one of the wealthier parts of the world, were going to eliminate poverty - but there are more people earning such low wages that they can no longer afford a home than earlier, and more people visiting food banks, than ever.

While I am thankful, happy and proud to be a Canadian, I am not content to say that our country doesn't need some improving.

What better day than this to dedicate ourselves anew to working harder to bring those improvements to pass?

Especially if, as retirees, we no longer face the requirement of spending many hours weekly earning a living ... now we can make a life.

Not just for ourselves, but for others, as well.

Happy birthday, fellow Canadians.

ole joyful

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!