SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

'Firsts' for Saturday...Pileated, Monarch, Morning Glory

caroline94535
15 years ago

Yesterday I had three "firsts."

When I went out for my early morning "birds and blooms" tour, I heard the most gawd-awful, creaky croaky "cgreeeeeek" sound. I knew it was a bird, but it was a bird I didn't know. There, splashing in the bird bath was a Pileated woodpecker fledgling. It was the cutest, albeit ugliest, little thing I've seen since I raised cockatiels. If I came too close he'd fly up into the Juneberry tree and "cgreeeeeeek" at me until I backed off, then he'd go back into the birdbath. He was a big old boy, too; except for the tail, he was as big as a jay.

He reminded me of a scruffy 11-year-old boy. Ya gotta love 'em.

I have never seen a Pileated fledgling before this. I haven't seen an adult Pileated since I lived in Arkansas, far too many years ago. I know a pair lives in the wooded area less than a block from our house. This must be one of their creations.

My other firsts were a Monarch butterfly, fluttering it's way toward the patio garden, and my first morning glory bloom of the season. The vine is still a tangled mess mostly at the base of the trellis. The bloom was on the ground, behind the foliage, so I didn't take a photo.

Happy "Cgreeeeeeek" to you all! (Not my photo.)

Comment (1)