SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
velleen_2207

Victim of counterfit Softare

velleen-2207
14 years ago

I have a notice on my PC that I am the victim of counterfit software. I keep getting all kind of notices. Has anyone else ever run in to this. I keep trying to follow instructions but can't figure this out.What do I do now?

Comments (10)

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

Ignore it...do not go to those places.

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

You have spam or malware. DO NOT follow the instructions, and instead, you need to run all antivirus software and bot hunters and other safety programs. You are already infected.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

Microsoft will tell you if you have pirated software on your computer. If you had someone build you one and they did not give you the CD's they probably use the one CD on everyone's computer.

Ask this question in the computer help forum, they can tell you if it is spy ware or the real thing and help you fix it.

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

If you click on any of those notices, Velleen, they will load junk on your computer to make it so you have to buy their product to get rid of that same junk! They're crooks.

Run your protection programs and try to get rid of it all that way, and the computer help forum is good too.

Good luck!

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Velleen,

Go to the site below and download the free AVG anti-virus/malware app.

Did you change your user name? I don't remember the 2207 part.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Free AVG

• velleen-2207
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stargazzer I believe whatyou said is the problem. And Stoney They have been piling junk on here. We noticed more problems a short time ago and have been thinking of getting a new PC. Next Question now is Do we get Vista or not.

• camp56
    14 years ago

Velleen if you have Vista, you can preorder the upgrade to Windows 7 for $49.00 until July 11.

As for getting spyware, malware off your computer, your antivirus program will probably not be sufficient. Try using these two free products. Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware. You have to do manual updates for the free versions, but they will remove most of the junk on your computer that virus programs miss.

• mariend
    14 years ago

Do you have Staples? Best Buy? a good computer store? know someone with good computer experience? have a school that teaches computers? etc. Find out how much it would cost to wipe out everything, saving what you need first, and get a good antivirus program. Sometimes when you get a malworm/virus it is extremly hard to get rid of it, and you have to wipe everything out and start over. It might be cheaper than a new PC.
    As to Vista, my DH has Vista and XP, and because he has built our computers is pretty knowlegable, but I do not have Vista--don't want it. His came with the computer but has had some trouble with the program. There are still some problems with it.
    I had Norton360and it let a malworm thru, and they fixed it ok, but wanted to charge me another 99.00 to put a program in and I went to Avaist. But there are other free programs.
    The main thing is not to open anything no matter how "real" it looks, even it they say it is from Microsoft.
    If you remember to ask here first, you will save yourself alot of problems.
    Delete is good!

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

As Camp56 said, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware are very good. I use both of these and Avast. They are all free.

• cynic
    14 years ago

You need to have a good firewall, antivirus program and at least one or two malware programs. I like Comodo firewall, AVG antivirus and use Spybot Search & Destroy primarily and occasionally run Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware as a second opinion. All are excellent programs and best of all, all are free.

As said, ignore what it's telling you to do. Don' panic and run off and buy a bunch of programs. I doubt very highly that you are running counterfeit programs. It's a scare tactic that spammers use.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022