SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Update on Vernon....baby squirrel

marilyn_c
15 years ago

I didn't take him to Houston with me yesterday. I fed him the moment I left and rushed home and fed him the moment I got back.

I talked to a lady at the wildlife hospital who dontated the food I went to pick up. They have a lady who is a retired nurse and she specializes in squirrels and especially likes the pinkies, because she doesn't mind getting up every 2 hours to feed them.

I may end up taking him to her. I don't mind the getting up and feeding him. But I am paranoid about him over heating on his heating pad. I had two close calls with it yesterday. Even with lots of padding between it and him, sometimes it heats up too much, even on low. The modern heating pads have a tendency to shut off, and that's bad too, so I mostly use the old fashioned ones.

However, he is nursing very well...and making nice poops. :))

Someone asked how I can be sure he is a squirrel and not another kind of animal. I can tell by his little pug face and his teeny tiny ears. Also, his black claws and the shape of his back feet.

Someone also asked if it would be possible to find a foster mother for him...like a cat or other animal. At this stage, he is much too fragile, not having any hair at all. Feeding him is the easiest part of taking care of him. The formula seems to be agreeing with him and he nurses the nipple that I have attached to a small syringe.

The downside of all of this is that it takes so long for him to grow hair and get his eyes open. Only then would I consider him to be "out of the woods" as far as survival goes.

Another downside is squirrels raised by humans become very attached to them, and I will either have to find other squirrels for him to bond with or send him somewhere that he can be with other squirrels.

The rehabber I work closest with has squirrels, but I wouldn't send him to her because I don't believe she would do a good job with him. So, if he goes anywhere, he will go to the lady in Houston who rehabs squirrels and specializes in such tiny babies.

Thank you all for your interest in him and for your kind thoughts for him. He's trying hard.

Comments (21)