SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firemanswife_gw

Our girls...

firemanswife
13 years ago

Last night was wonderful. After we had dinner we all went outside when it finally cooled down and I made all of us an ice cream cone and we sat on the trampoline and ate our dessert and just giggled. It was wonderful.

Tanna is a cheese grating pro and we found out last night that a 4 1/2 year old can eat 3 1/2 tacos! Trace was a close second at 1 1/2! :0)

We got the girls bathed, in clean pj's, we read a bed time story and they were out! I'm happy to report their mom and dad were exhausted also and fell asleep shortly after them.

Tayler sleeps pretty much all night. We are up now having a bottle and she' almost back to sleep. It's 4:40 a.m so we can't complain.

Both my DH and I are on family leave from work. He is off until the middle of next month unless they break a wildland fire. I am not sure yet if I am going to go back to work. I am leaning towards calling it good and becoming a full time mom!

We are still having food issues with our oldest. She worries so much about her meals so last night I made a quick calendar on the computer and her and I sat down and made a list of meals and snacks for the next couple of days and she insisted on hanging it in their room. I am finding that if I set the table early and really go over things with her that helps.

I can't wait for this weekend. My family will be here tonight and the five of us are headed to Salt Lake in the morning to get them all the things they need. Right now a friend of ours has lent us a crib and the girls are sleeping in the spare bed. We have to get beds, dressers, changing tables, clothes, shoes, blankets, toys. It seems like our list keeps getting longer. We are going to take an afternoon and take them to the zoo while we are there.

We are hoping to be back Sunday morning and with my family here we can put their room together. While we're gone my family is going to change the room from a spare bedroom to a pretty little girls room.

Thanks for listening and for all the kind words!!

Comments (41)

• Vickey__MN
    13 years ago

Wow, again all I can say is WOW.

Can we make suggestions of what you may not need and "these are really great" things?

You have a 9 month old, you don't really need a changing table, she's too squirmy, the floor works great, plus, she can't fall off the floor.

Crib..those new convertable cribs..goes from crib to toddler bed to day bed or full size beds..seem like a great investment to me.

Learn the thumb rule for shoes, get them a little big (won't be big for long), and from the big toe to the top of the shoe should be about the width of your thumb (not the length)or from tip of thumb to end of thumb nail.

Babies and blankets don't always work, but for winter, blanket sleepers are THE BEST.

Don't forget a stroller (I assume you have all the carseats already). Maybe even a double one since the little ones are so close in age.

Those little toys that help kids walk are a big hit. I'm not sure what they're called, but playschool has them.

Oh Little People, WONDERFUL toys for the imagination. Leggos and Duplo's.

Don't forget outside toys too..balls, BUBBLES, sand box toys.

Oh I'm just so excited for the two of you...or should I now say 5 of you!! You'll find that 3 kids is a zoo (they outnumber you and DH), but when they get older it is so much fun.

Vickey-MN

• jannie
    13 years ago

Wow! You sure have been busy! May I (gently) suggest a little counselling for the girl with food issues? Ask your pediatrician, I'm sure he/she could help with a referral. You wouldn't want this behavior to continue into an eating disorder. My own inclination would be to involve her in planning, cooking, setting the table for meals. Good luck, you certainly have your hands full.

• Related Discussions

Help Choosing Bathroom Fixtures

Q

Comments (4)
    Have you tried faucetdirect? We had good luck with them. We chose Quoizel fixtures which came with very high wattage halogen bulbs that I would consider a no no in a kids' bath. We changed to a lower wattage. Read what people say about the fixtures. If you are just looking for an attachment to your shower head, I wouldn't think you would have to spend a lot of money and maybe get it at Lowes. The online places are looking to sell you a shower package.
    ...See More

Check out our toddler girl room

Q

Comments (23)
    What a darling room for a little darling!! My daughter just finished her twins' rooms and I noticed the end table in your room. My husband is actually making that same table for our GD as well as another one sports themed for GS. Where did you find such a beautiful table and chair set? We will be looking for one shortly too.
    ...See More

Has anyone heard from our Texas girl?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Missmaggierock.....the people over at Garden Junk are always asking about you too....We all missed you. And would sure like to see you find a little time for some computer R&R. Hope all is well with you... I don't think we've heard back from MaryAnne yet. I sure wish we'd hear something from her. patti
    ...See More

Our baby girl turned a year old ....a little update :O)

Q

Comments (27)
    You have a darling little girl there! I love all those cute faces she makes. She really does look like the entertainer for the bunch. Cute pictures of a real cute girl.
    ...See More
  • patti43
    13 years ago

You are amazing! I hope it won't be long before the oldest child loses her lack of food fear. Bless her little heart. How she must have stayed awake nights worrying--not to mention hungry. You're doing a stupendous job. You're a natural!!!

• dotmom
    13 years ago

I just read your original post about your truly beautiful blessing. I am so happy for you and your Fireman hubs, and these lucky little girls. I t is true, we do not know Gods plans, and what he has in store for our futures. God Bless this truly beautiful family. CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

• gadgets
    13 years ago

I'm so happy to hear that you seem to have a GREAT family support group. That means so much.

Shirley

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Isn't the sound of little kids giggling just THE BEST???

Here's to many more giggles!

• kacram
    13 years ago

Oh, man! SOOOOoo exciting! Your family sounds GREAT!!!!!

What ever you decide with work, I hope it all
    works out for you. if you can afford it, it would
    probably go a long way in making the kids feel secure.
    It might be hard for them to go to a day care. wondering
    if you would be coming back for them.

you sound like you are handling the food issue really
    well! And developing quite a chef! Pretty soon, all
    you will be required to do is buy the food! LOL

woohoo!!!

• lindyluwho
    13 years ago

I can tell you are doing a great job already. If you can manage to stay home with them it would be such a blessing for these girls. They will truly feel secure that they won't be left.

You and your DH are heroes in my eye. Keep up the good work.

Linda

• firemanswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have a dr. apt today for the girls and we are going to bring up Tanna's food issues to see if there is anything we need to be doing. They are all considerably under weight and I am going to also discuss this with the dr and see what we need to be doing.

Vickey...thank you so much for all the advice....I crossed changing table off the list....she is way too squirmy and the floor is safer.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I too was going to say changing table is not necessary..I had one..and hardly ever used it...the couch, the bed, the floor..LOL
    It is now a tool shelf in the garage..Teehee...

I love that she's helping you in the kitchen, and I think you handled the process with her and the look ahead stuff beautifully! You are a natural!

Here's a recipe from the Cooking forum that I happen to have on my c/p right now.. You can use any frozen fruit or berries. Tanna may think it's "magic"...and would be fun to do with her "pushing" the buttons.

Three Ingredient Five Minute Berry Blast Ice Cream

one 10-12-oz pkg frozen mixed berries
    1/2 C sugar
    2/3-3/4 C heavy cream

Put a bit of cream in a food processor or blender. I used a food processor just because it's easier to clean than my blender.

Add the frozen berries and sugar and process until roughly chopped.

With the processor or blender running, add the heavy cream until fully incorporated. Done!

• kayjones
    13 years ago

I have a suggestion, too! Start ADOPTION proceedings if at all possible. I would like to send something to the girls - if that's ok, please email me and we will discuss. I am all tingly just because I've been in the girls' shoes - GOD is WONDERFUL and so are YOU and Hubby!

• Sally Brownlee
    13 years ago

if you or your husband are handy...check out Ana White's Knock Off Wood site. She makes her own furniture and shares the plans for free. There are many fun projects for childrens furniture. You can save hundreds of dollars if you have the time and enegry to make..
    I especially love the playhouse/loft bed...keep browsing her site. There is lots!
    I have personally made a few things and they turned out great!

Here is a link that might be useful: ana white

• socks
    13 years ago

Just my 2 cents here (like you need another 2 cents! LOL!)--You have done a terrific job covering the food issue with your "oldest daughter" (sounds good, doesn't it?). She is going through a tremendous adjustment at this time, and if you talk about the food too much, it could become a bigger issue than it is. My suggetion, just back off for now and let things settle in for her, several weeks or so. Then see how it goes. If she asks a question about mealtime, answer and let it go. Having her help with meal prep is great.

Congratulations, keep up the good work, and let us know when you come back down to Earth!!

• janie_ga
    13 years ago

Can you take the oldest with you to the grocery store. Sounds like she may not have ever been and I am SURE she would LOVE helping pick out the stuff for meals.

I just shared your story around work- there is a hallway of women going =, AHHHH what a wonderful story for you and the girls to get together, especially the "dad and dolls" part!

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Just sending you a ((((((BIG HUG))))))

• vannie
    13 years ago

You and your DH ARE heroes--no doubt about it. If you could stay home w/ the girls it would be a blessing. Maybe til the little one is in kindergarten. The 2 little ones will soon forget the circumstances they came from, but your older one will need extra help, extra hugs, extra attention, all those things that make for a happy childhood. It sounds like you have some wonderful family support. Those are 3 lucky, blessed little girls. Their futures are now rosey and before y'all came along, their futures sounded really bleak. Don't forget to have an occasional "date" with hubby--he must be some fine kind of man to take in these sweet, precious gifts from God. Keep us updated and pictures!!! God bless all of y'all. I bet He's got a big smile on his face!

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

It sounds like you were born to do this! I'm sure it must get hectic at times but I'd like to offer a little idea. Do you have a camera so that you can take photos of the girls? Not for us - but for your newly expanded family. You might not be in the habit of keeping a camera nearby to take those quick photos of the kids that later become family treasures. You might want to record these precious 'first' photos.

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

My Niece came to live with me when she was 6 and she always asked "whats for Lunch and Dinner" right after Breakfast. She did this until she was out on her own earning her own way. But, she never had bad eating habits or problems with food. I never found anything she didn't like. LOL!

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

It just breaks my heart when I think about your oldest daughter. So starved that she worries about if and when another meal is coming. I'm sure when she gets use to the daily routine, she will become more relaxed about the food issue. Time heals all wounds. It's such a beautiful story...the five of you are so lucky to come together as a family. I wish you all much happiness and look forward to the up dates about this journey.

Dottie

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I had rescued cats like that ..wondering if and when their next meal would be. It is so sad that a child would have that mindset. You sound like you're right on track..a natural mommy. Suggestion..Get the crib which converts to a youth bed. If you have a Salvation Army or community aid stores like we do, they have wonderful clothes there for babies and kids..barely used. I have bought myself designer clothes there. POST PIX!!!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I remember shopping for my grandson's crib, and the convertable kind of crib is a lot more expensive than a plain old crib.

• ronf_gw
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! wow.

Ron

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

You are a saint. Those little girls are very lucky!! Best of luck, happiness and health to all of you.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

I am just now catching up to this story. You are wonderful! I am so happy for both you and DH and especially those lucky little girls. I hope you have a wonderful future together.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I agree with socks about the food issue - ignore it for a while, she'll catch up in weight. One of my kids ate nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and Oreos for three years and is now a gourmet cook! She'll come 'round.

• joann23456
    13 years ago

Sounds like everything's going great! I was going to say not to bother with the changing table, either. We used a pad on the dining room table or kitchen counter, which was just the right height.

I also agree with those who say that the food issues will resolve themselves as time goes on and your oldest daughter gets used to the fact that there is always more food available. Great idea with the meal plan and shopping, though.

We'd love to see some pictures, when you get a chance.

• ronm80
    13 years ago

I just want to say again how excited I am for you, your Dh and the girls. Happy things are going well.

• hayjud_mn
    13 years ago

It sounds like you are all doing great!
    I'm pretty much out of the kid stuff, except for grands, but there are two things I thought might help.

Your girls are not use to having a lot of toys, so it might be overwhelming to suddenly have too many. It might be better to get a new toy once in a while on shopping day (but not every time of course.)

It might also be helpful to your oldest daughter, if when you fill in the meals on that calendar, also include activities that are planned. This might help to take some of that importance off the meals.

Again, I am so excited for all of you! I'm sure it is like you stepped out of your world and into another totally different one.

• williamsburgjane
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Those 3 little girls are so lucky. Wishing you and hubby and girls the best. warm hugs, Jane

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

hit the used furniture stores for dressers and sam's club has great deals on twin mattress and box springs...i'd be tempted to keep borrowing the crib for now and buy a big girl bed instead...gosh wish you were closer! i have a triple dresser sitting in a closet!

they have some darling bedding sets at wal mart, that won't break the bank...or do like my dd2 just did..she's using a quilt her mil gave her..it's sooo colorful and different than the usual disney princess...

• Granlan_TX
    13 years ago

Another WOW from me and lots of hugs. You really do sound like a "natural"! :)

Lana

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Add my name to the huge congratulations Fireman's wife.
    You and your hubby have the biggest heart in the world to take on the care of 3 little ones.
    This decision couldn't have come about lightly, so no doubt at all, you guys will be the best parents!!

If you have a Freecyle in your area, please register on it. You'll probably find all kinds of kid things, and for free.
    Or Craigslist; if not free, for a nominal price.

• hale_bopp
    13 years ago

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, and I know it's not an issue at all at this point, but keep your eyes open for over-eating habits later. Sometimes after children have been starved, they will over-eat like crazy and become obese. At this stage however, I know it's your main goal to FEED them and help them gain some weight because they're underfed and underweight. :) Blessings you to FW- you're an angel!

Blessings,
    Haley

• susan_on
    13 years ago

Those little girls are very lucky to have you. You're a wonderful person to take them in. Your story warms my heart.

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

I was raised by an aunt...and I loved her to pieces....She gave me all I needed and more...

I am so happy for the girls.

And I love hearing that your husband is involved...All of you eating your ice cream cones on the trampoline just melts my heart.

I was a lucky lucky child that God had someone for me...I believe those girls are as lucky as I was.

patti

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Another word of advice....With the hopes that this won't offend or bother you, or dampen the party going on here........but .....Motherhood isn't always wonderful either..It's really hard work, really tiring, stressful and there are many more blanks we could fill in to warn you of how hard it can be but just take it easy and remember to take time for yourself and your husband too. Too much too soon/too fast for all of you .....the kids and you and husband isn't a good thing.....Remember that now is the time to be creating the rules and standards that you all will be living with forever. They are young and abused but they need and you must set ground rules and the quicker the better because it is not all about fun and games....The are, or will be in a grieving stage for their life that is gone, whether they mention it or not, and it will be easy to overlook misbehavior or misconduct or just to let things slide for now..because you are their Mother now and you want to make life wonderful for them, you want to make up for all they have missed and probably for all that you have missed...but really .....you need to make the house/ground rules now and let them know what you expect of them and importantly let them know what to expect from you...believe me if a child gets away with something a few times and then you decide it's not a good thing, they will not accept easily when you change the rule in midstream......they are smart little cookies and it sounds to me like they have had enough disappointments in their little lives.......

what a wonderful thing for all of you.....Sending lots of good luck and good wishes to you all.....

• kayjones
    13 years ago

Ruthie, you are EXACTLY right! You can't be their best friend - you have to be their molder, mentor, inspiration, encouragement, hope, advisor, guide, nurse, disiplinarian, etal, but we know you and hubby can do it with style and help from GOD!

We want pictures, please, of the happy new family!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Ruthie has given you some very wise advice. These girls need structure in their lives. It will make it easier for all and the bonus is that children find security in structure.

• hale_bopp
    13 years ago

VERY well written, Ruthie!!! Very wise indeed!

Blessings,
    Haley :)

• danihoney
    13 years ago

Yes Ruthie, excellent.

Love + structure = security

• jannie
    13 years ago

Yes, a family needs rules and regularity. Good advice here. (above I mean)