SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Fledging begins; season will be extended!

caroline94535
13 years ago

The PM season here is going to be extended this season!

I have chicks that are only a week old, and one nest that began fledging yesterday. All five fledged, but three promptly returned to the gourd and have refused to budge. They didn't even move when I did the nests checks today. They know "It's a jungle out there!"

The nine pairs have 33 chicks.

This year had the worst hatch-rate I've ever experienced. Eight of the original 10 nests lost at least one egg. Some lost two, three, or four. Two nests, 5 and 6, hatched all five eggs each.

One of the fledglings is so bold; he's flying much better today and when he perches he absolutely struts; he stands tall and proud. He also likes to look in other gourds, and promptly gets knocked off the porch.

All the adults are in a state of frenzy. They're singing, preening, and feeding their own chicks and flying with the fledglings. Their attacks on me, the garden tools, the truck, and any passers-by have escalated to "Red Alert" status.

It's fun around here now. You'll be bombarded with photos of the purple pandamonium soon.

Other Birds

The second nest-attempt Tree Swallow nestlings fledged successfully.

Despite my best efforts, a house wren pair established a nest and had eggs before I discovered what they were up to.

I now have five of the cutest little house wren chicks you've ever seen. Mr. and Mrs. Wren have been working over the tomato plants for all they're worth. There's not a bug to be found in my little veggie garden. Fortunately, they did not pin any of the PM or TRES eggs so we're all copasetic.

I haven't seen the cardinal again, but I have hope. I'm setting up a ground tray feeder for her.

A PM landlord in Canada, northwest of Winnipeg, told me he had nesting cardinals this year! That gives me hope of attracting them in the neighborhood.

Comments (4)