SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Using scarce resources more wisely

joyfulguy
13 years ago

A couple of days ago Anna Maria Tremonti, a current affairs commentator on our national radio who was a correspondent based in various countries in earlier years, was discussing with a guest ways to use our scarce resources more wisely.

Her interesting program, "The Current" arrives weekday mornings for an hour and a half - catch it at www.cbc.ca/thecurrent

It incited me to send this reply to her

Greetings Anna Maria,

You referred the other morning - Mon the 14th? and I don't recall time ... to our profligate ways as rather wealthy westerners.

It seems to me, with many of our traditional quality jobs being shifted offshore, and the middle class being more or less hollowed out, partly due to pervasive computers, I think, that we in the western world had better learn to live more carefully, frugally, husbanding our resources. Some say that it would take the resources of four planets to allow the whole world to live in the fashion to which we've become accustomed. We don't got no four planets! Available, anyway!

Growing up on a southern Ontario general farm, and having lots of work to do, being 10 when World War II began and our hired men went to war, I respect the productive capacity of our land and, as a Christian, have been taught to value human life.

It seems to me that we've been very wasteful of petroleum, that took millions of years to produce, and which we've used rather wastefully for the past 100 years - the amount that we used before that you could pretty well stick into your eye.

Add the problems with pollution and global warming, and it seems to me that we need to do some serious thinking of priorities.

Seventy years ago, little horse-drawn wagons brought bread and milk to the doors of townspeople, plus ice, chunks of which were chopped off of large blocks and carried by hand to put into ice-boxes in houses ... we in the country stored perishable food in pans of cold water in the basement.

Sixty years ago, they began to build refrigerators.

Fifty years ago, they built refrigerators that lasted for forty years.

Now, engineers having become so much stupider over the years ... the refrigerators that they build last for about ten years. And when I tell this story around, often the rejoinder that I hear at this point is, "If we're lucky!".

We have to keep the economy rolling along, don'tcha know?

However, when one considers the digging of ore, trasport, smelting (energy hog), transport, rolling, shaping, transport, then assembling into a refrig., auto, or whatever ... then transport to a retail store ...

... wouldn't it be the responsible thing to challenge the engineers to build a frig that'll last for sixty years ... and be energy efficient, into the bargain?

If we must have a market for a frig in ten years, I could buy one for a person in the Third World who's having trouble with food spoilage ... and within twenty years, we could build a financial system that'd have let another person in those areas have borrowed to start a business so that he can afford to buy one of his own.

I forebore adding that many parts of the refrigerator/auto are made of plastic, the usual source being that same scarce petroleum.

While they say that many of the refrig., car, etc. parts can be recycled, melted down and recast, or whatever ... still a major part of them can't be ... and to do so requires a great deal of energy.

Wouldn't we be better off to have them build a refrig. that'll last for 60 years, plus be fuel-efficient ...

... and just pay a bunch of guys/gals to dig holes in the ground today ... and fill them in for an hour or so tomorrow ... then set about digging some more holes? Day by day ... for those same thirty years or so?

Sure would use a lot less enerygy ... cause less pollution (maybe add a bit to global warming, as digging holes is rather hot work).

Good wishes to you and to your staff: keep up the good work.

I hear that Sun Media are fixing to start producing Fox News North.

Ed Baker

Comments (6)