SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

One of the most intriguing stories I've come across! (many pics)

rosemaryt
12 years ago

While cleaning out my father's apartment in assisted living, I found an old shoe box tucked away in a corner of his dresser. In that old shoe box, I found an old family photo album from the late 1800s.

I tossed it into the "take home with me pile" and didn't think about it for a couple days. When I got back to looking at the photos, I didn't recognize anyone, but I did see a familiar name: Hoyt. That was my great-grandmother's maiden name.

But the woman in these photos was named "Addie" while my great grandmother was named "Anna."

SO I posted the photos on Facebook and asked for help. My neighbor - the professional genealogist - went right to work and dug up all kinds of great info.

Turns out, Addie was my great-great Aunt (and sister of my great-grandma Anna Hoyt) and in 1896, when Addie was 24 years old, she married Enoch Fargo (22 years her senior).

Enoch is (or was) a direct descendant of the Fargos that founded that famous bank with a fellow by the name of "Wells."

Enoch had more money than any of us mere mortals can imagine.

So Enoch married Addie, and she became a step-mom to Enoch's two daughters from his first marriage. (His first wife died.) One of those daughters was only four years younger than Addie!

And then Enoch met Addie's cousin (Martha) and fell madly in love with *her*, and Addie's cousin (Martha) was even younger than Addie! Something bad happened to Addie (still figuring that out), and she died under suspicious circumstances. Martha was the nursemaid who sat with Addie, and fed her, and tended to her as she lay dying.

Six weeks after 29-year-old Addie was laid to rest, Enoch was married to Cousin Martha. He liked 'em young.

Martha outlived Enoch by 40 years.

The house that Enoch built with his first wife was a palatial mansion, and became known as the Fargo Mansion. Today it's a B&B in Lake Mills, Wisconsin and the owners were over the moon happy to hear about these old photos. I sent them a link, and they loved it!

It was the owners that told me about old Enoch marrying six weeks after poor Aunt Addie died (at the age of 29).

Take a look at these photos (below).

As soon as possible, I'm going up to Lake Mills to see the house that old Uncle Enoch built. :)

The wedding photo of Addie Hoyt and Enoch Fargo (married 1896):

Addie Hoyt Fargo in her wedding dress.

CLose-up of Addie Hoyt Fargo.

The fam on the steps. Enoch and Addie on the left; the two stepdaughters are on the right.

Close-up

The house (Fargo Mansion)in Lake Mills, WI.

My favorite photo, which is a bedroom in this house.

Close up of Addie

Old Enoch

My great-grandmother, Anna Hoyt Whitmore

COmparison of my great grandmother (Anna Hoyt Whitmore) at age 44 (photographed in 1910) and Addie Hoyt Fargo at 24 years old (1896).

My great-grandmother (Anna Hoyt Whitmore) lived to be 99, dying four months shy of her 100th birthday. And yet her sister (Addie) died at the young age of 29.

Isn't that a story?

And to think that this photo album has been sitting in a box for the last 100 years!

Here is a link that might be useful: The rest of the story

Comments (18)