SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

'Read to your child at least 20 minutes a day,' but ...

joann23456
15 years ago

... what if your child doesn't like to read? My 7-year-old niece, who lives with me, is like this. Once in awhile, she'll get interested, but mostly she'd rather do something else. Not television or computer games either, usually active play or crafts or spending time designing a better corkscrew or can opener or pulley system to take the mail upstairs.

All of which is great, but I'd like her to love to read *too*. I take her to the library, let her pick out books at bookstores, let her choose what we read, make funny voices when we read, ask her about the books, ask her to read to me, suggest that we read and then draw or do a craft based on the book - everything I can think of. Nothing much helps.

This is entirely foreign to me, as I was a geeky child who preferred reading to spending time with other children or playing outside. I don't particularly want *that* for her, but I'd like her to enjoy at least some books. Also, I know her academic life will be *much* easier if she enjoys reading and reads well.

So, any suggestions?

Comments (18)