SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Chillin' with my peeps....

marilyn_c
13 years ago

I am raising a bunch of bantam chicks. Here are a couple of pictures of some of them. Do any of you also have chickens?

I have two big hens and a rooster. The hens are supposed to be Ameracuanas, but they are called "Easter Eggers" because they lay blue or green eggs, and are probably not pure Ameracuanas since they came from the feed store. My two hens lay aqua colored eggs, and seldom miss a day. My rooster isn't a very good rooster. He is a White Leghorn, but was one of those dyed Easter chicks, and came from the Humane society. He is mean and tries to flog me every time he can get close enough.

The black one in the middle in the upper part of the picture is called a "Frizzle"...the feathers turn out like a pine cone. It's a Cochin, as are several of the others, black, the red one, the brown "checked" one and the one with the silver lacing around her neck is called a "silver penciled Cochin."

This picture is Pip, the duck, also from the Humane society. He was a day or so old when I got him, and so little he slept under the other Bantam chicks' wing. The reason his neck looks red, he had been eating watermelon. ;) The beige chick is a D'uccle, and the sandy one is a Silkie.

They are in the cage where I pen them up at night, to keep them safe from the raccoons. During the day they go out in pens called "chicken tractors", which can be moved about and they can forage a little and still be safe.

They're a lot of fun to watch. I've enjoyed them.

Comments (7)