SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunglogrl

Do you freeze dinner rolls?

bunglogrl
15 years ago

Do you freeze them before or after they rise? I sometimes freeze already baked rolls, but they don't taste as good as fresh baked.

I want to serve marigene's dinner rolls on July 4th. My family loves them. I'll be working all that week so I'd like to mix, knead and put them in pans a few days early, and just bake them off on the day of the barbeque. Has anyone tried this? At what point during the process should I freeze them? If I let them rise first, will I need to let them thaw before baking?

I'm organized enough to make them the same day when I'm doing the dinner. When DH does a BBQ - I try to stay out of his way!

Marigene posted this recipe quite a while ago (I usually skip the second rise). They are easy to make and always a big hit!

The Spicery Rolls

1 1/2 cups boiling water

1/2 cup margarine (I use butter)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups water (hot but not boiling)

6 ounces evaporated milk

1/4 cup yeast (yes, that is correct...I use Instant yeast)

9 1/8 cups flour

In a large bowl, pour boiling water over butter. Add salt and sugar and stir well. When butter is melted, mix in additional water. Stir in evaporated milk. Slowly add flour and yeast. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 10 minutes. Next grease a large bowl thoroughly, put the dough in it and turn it over so the surface will be greased. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, punching down twice, about an hour. form into dinner-size rolls. Let rise until doubled. Bake 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 36 large rolls.

Comment

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH