SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Is it ever o.k. to be a wedding crasher?

amicus
13 years ago

I told my sister I'd post this so I could get a range of responses for her. My sister lived on the same street for over 20 years, with the same next door neighbours. Her neighbours had children the same age as hers, and the kids were best friends. The neighbour's son is getting married this summer, and he and his fiancee invited my sister's son, as the two young men are still great friends.

Sister knows that the young couple are trying to keep expenses to a minimum, as they are paying for everything themselves. She and DH have no ill feelings at all about not being invited to the reception. However, seeing as they've known the young man from infancy, and he spent countless days and nights in her house over 20 years, they would dearly love to attend his wedding.

Would it be awkward and tacky if DS and her hubby show up at the wedding, in order to see the young couple marry? They would love to attend the ceremony, but do not want either the couple or his family feeling awkward about them showing up, in case it embarrasses them that they could not afford to include them for the reception. They plan to send a lovely wedding card after the wedding, so the couple will know it came simply to acknowledge best wishes for them, with no strings attached. Does the term wedding crasher really refer to a 'reception' crasher, or is it absolutely no-no to show up at a wedding mass if you were not issued a wedding invitation?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!