SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunt_audrey

Jodi...Tree Question

I can't show ya a pic, but I have two trees in the yard, that I want to know the name of. They are big, have huge leaves, have these brown balls that drop off then bust apart making a huge mess. They also seem to shed bark like a snake sheds its skin. Got an idea?

Comments (14)

• 12 years ago

AA...they may be what we call here..Sweet Gum trees!

• 12 years ago

I googled that to see if it was. My tree has a bigger fatter leaf and the balls aren't spiked nor green.

• 12 years ago

LOL ... AA, I know you've just recently rejoined us at the KT but others know that I am absolutely *the worst* when if comes to naming flora.

Kat_wa did a callout post this last Tuesday entitled "HeLLo Jodi! what kind of flower is this?" with nothing but a photo and "LOL" in the body. She was taunting and making fun of me which is why we call her Kat Brat!

The best I could do was tell her the flower was "pink" and I did get that part right. :-)

So, I'm sorry, I will be of no help whatsoever IDing your tree.

Jodi-

• 12 years ago

A pomegranate tree.

• 12 years ago

I have a brown thumb! Don't know anything about trees, plants etc, so don't feel lonely. She is a "Brat!" LMAO
    I think now its a sycamore. I know they are the messiest darn trees!! And grass won't grow under the darn things GRRRRRRRRRRR

• 12 years ago

It could be a Sycamore or a London Plane Tree. They are very similar. I think one has a whiter bark than the other. I have a London Plane in my yard and I hope it dies - soon - before it gets any larger.

• 12 years ago

From the description, they do sound like sycamore trees. My neighbor has two in her front yard and since she can't grow any grass, she's made her front yard into a woodland garden. The native hydrangeas and ferns she's planted under and around them are very happy.

• 12 years ago

Is this the kind of Brown Balls your talking about? Thats from the Sweet Gum tree, I have a bunch of them.

• 12 years ago

Nope

• 12 years ago

Joann, ouch! Ever step on one of those?

• 12 years ago

Spikey balls like those fall from our liquid amber trees. The birds just love the tiny seeds that fall out of the balls, especially the doves.

• 12 years ago

I was going to suggest Liquid Amber too but the leaves didn't seem large enough per her description and I don't recall the bark peeling.

The most common tree with peeling bark is the Birch tree family I believe.

Jodi-

• 12 years ago

hahahahahaha
    ahahaha
    ahahaha

• 12 years ago

any more ideas
    ???

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths