SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

What do you think - would you use it?

jel48
11 years ago

I bought two quart jars of Hellman's mayonnaise this morning. It was on sale, and we have lots of Glenda's Alaskan Coleslaw on the menu this summer :-)

Anyway, I just opened one of them for coleslaw that I'm taking to my grand-daughter's graduation party. When I opened it, I realized that Hellman's doesn't put one of those cardboard seals on their jars. It was just the plastic lid and when I took it off, the mayo was right there. Now, the problem is, that the lid wasn't sunk down in the center, which with a can at least, always indicates that it is actually sealed. I looked at the other jar and the top of the plastic lid is kind of up in the middle, just a little, and if you push down on it with your fingers it flexes.

Is this the way the plastic lids on these jars are supposed to be? I usually use a different brand and it has the cardboard seal (with foil coating on the inside) under the lid. I always figured that's where the airtight seal was. The Hellman's didn't have that at all.

I don't want to poison people at the party and I'm a little concerned.

Comments (17)

• kathyg_in_mi
    11 years ago

Open the other one and see if it is the same.

• sushipup1
    11 years ago

I've never seen a seal on the jars that I get. That's just the way it comes. Now, if the lid were loose, I'd be concerned.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

I think it's just fine!

As long as the plastic ring was around the lid of the jar, it was sealed, as long as the light was tight.

Enjoy the slaw! :o)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Mine has a cardboard/foil seal on it, too. If it was a jar that opened right up without ANY indication I could only have been the first person to open it....forget it. I never use Hellmans, so am not familiar with their type of jar.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I JUST opened a new jar - no cardboard - no seal at all - just the lid.

• lydia1959
    11 years ago

As long as the plastic ring was around the lid of the jar, it was sealed,... What Glenda said.

I just opened one of these 2 days ago and kind of thought the same thing. They must have recently changed their packaging.

• kacram
    11 years ago

Glenderama is always raving about Hellmans mayo. It all
    tastes the same to me. Blah... mayo really doesn't have a
    flavor to me. I really like miracle whip, BUT I don't
    buy it anymore because the boys don't like it. And I
    can't use it up fast enough. lol

Anywhoooo, back to Hellman's. I always wondered why it
    would be so much better than other mayo, and why we don't
    have any around here. So, I looked it up, and it's just
    Best Foods mayo. Best Foods west of the Rockies. I was
    disappointed! lol I was expecting something exotic!
    ahahahahahahaha

• tobygirl
    11 years ago

Jae: I would be in a quandry just like you and would probably be awake half the night obsessing about poisoning people at the party, so I can't offer any helpful advice.

The most recent jar of Hellman's I bought was an oversized 64 oz. jar, and it did have the cardboard seal under the lid.

• kacram
    11 years ago

I just checked my Nally's mayo, and it has a cardboard topper.

But I have had some where there was a plastic ring attached
    to the top, like Lydia said. If that is the case, I wouldn't
    worry about it. Or if it had that shrink wrap around the lid.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

All I use is Best Foods. No seal. It should be fine.

• ritamay91710
    11 years ago

I just opened a jar of Best Foods.....no foil or cardboard, just the plastic ring around the actual lid that makes a snap sound when you open the jar.

• jel48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to use it.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Yea!!!!!

• emma
    11 years ago

I think the cardboard is in there to keep the mayo from touching the metal, it's not a seal.

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

I had never heard of Hellman's until I moved to Iowa. When DS was visiting, he looked at the jar and said Best Foods, the colors are the same.

• cynic
    11 years ago

Hellman's and Best Foods are from the same company. Some claim it's the same, some claim slightly different. I've had Hellman's once and won't buy it again. Water has more taste than Hellman's has. But if it's what you buy it's what you buy and if the top was sealed I wouldn't worry if you've checked the expiration date on it. If it looks OK and smells ok and has been stored properly there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

jel48, I'm pleased you have the slaw on your menus this summer.

It's a famly favorite. My son, never enjoyed cole slaw, until I started serving this.

Had it on two AK trips. Karla, a former KT'er, who lives outside of Anchorage, was able to come up with the recipe.