SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

What would you do with this space?

sochi
12 years ago

I have a 8'8" x 6'8" "space" off my kitchen. It connects the kitchen to the family room. It used to be the eat-in area of the kitchen, but we prefer to eat in the DR or at the peninsula in the kitchen.

That area has been used as a continuation of the playroom to date. Not a bad thing, but I'm wondering what else I could do with it.

My kids are 7 and 4, my dd is just starting to get regular homework. I was thinking of installing a long desk spanning the 8'8" space, about 19" deep (that small wall to the right of the space is 19.25" deep). A good place to do homework, take phone messages, etc. At first I wanted something fabulous there like live edge walnut, but that isn't really practical for a kids space. Now I'm considering Corian or Silestone perhaps.

But do I need a desk there for the kids? The kids could do homework on the peninsula - although DH doesn't like them using markers, etc. on the walnut counter. They could also use the DR table, but I hate to have papers and pens pile up there, as we use the DR table for meals 2 or 3 times a day. We have a big office upstairs, so DH and I really don't need it as a desk - but the kids don't use our upstairs office.

What would you do with the space? Storage is always a good idea, but we don't NEED more storage. Would be nice though.

What do you think of the Corian or Silestone idea? Would it work in my space?

Thanks in advance for the help, apologies for the quality of the pictures. We currently have a white sideboard in the space and kids art on the wall around the windows. But you get the idea.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville