SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Help with hairline crack in granite

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

We had our polished Princess White counter tops installed about 5 weeks ago. Just now, I noticed a hairline crack in the small portion that is to the side of our range top. It's right at the edge of the pen. (In the photo, the crack runs from left (the bottom) to right (tar part of the counter)) because the orientation of the way the orientation of the photo came out) I can feel it when I run my finger over it and it follow the vein for a good six? inches. The area around the start of the vein near the edge (maybe 1/4 - 1/2" wide) is a little rough too. However, the edge feels smooth so it doesn't seem like a very deep crack. There is also another section in the middle about 2" long where I can feel the vein.

Is this normal, especially for my type of granite which has a lot of veins and crystal-like areas where the stone has visibly been compressed? Or should the entire counter feel smooth? Do I need to ask the stone company to "fix" it? Does it need more sealant and is it at risk of cracking more? I really like this section of the granite as it has a little bit of blue color (not in the photo) which is rare in this stone so I'd rather not replace it.

Any thoughts as to when this crack occurred or if there was an attempted repair? I'm not sure if it is a new crack or if I didn't notice it when it was installed because there was a lot of gunk from the sealant leftover and it took many different scrubs to get it off. Also, we had kept a box and papers on that spot for a while which covered it Ironically, I had been worried about the big L shaped part of the granite but that is fine.

Please advise.

Thank you!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)