SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

Getting close to final plans: what are the red flags?

segbrown
15 years ago

Cliffs Notes version of previous post: family of 4, moving kitchen into current family room for myriad reasons, gas and water lines already present (yay), taking down a wall, moving a door, adding windows, and so on.

We are busy picking out finishes right now, but suddenly I'm concerned about layout. This layout is basically correct ... a few things have changed, which I tried to amend on this old drawing. The eating nook is actually wider than I drew, definitely large enough (even though it doesn't look like it). The breakfast bar contains a set of refrig/freezer drawers, and the butlers pantry is probably more of a wet bar now, with a small sink (but wine has been moved to island). The TV will be put above the dish pantry behind doors.

We were pricing countertops, and I was pleasantly surprised by how low it was. Then I realized I don't really have that much countertop ... most is on the island, which is only modestly useful.

I am also aware that my cooking and cleanup spaces are all in the same place. I would love a prep sink, but it didn't seem like I needed one.

I don't think we can extend the refrigerator farther down toward the door to increase the counter space on that wall, because of structural and design issues. (We are taking out a fireplace and wall and putting a beam there, and there is a vault over where the new kitchen will be, which delineates the space from the breakfast nook.)

Any ideas? Am I okay? Am I making a mistake? (Just the pre-demo jitters, you know...) Really, mostly I'm happy with the layout ... I know I can't have everything, and compromises are necessary ... just checking ....

Comments (33)