SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Counter Fabrication - Bar Overhang (final question)

blackchamois
11 years ago

Okay, so I think this is my final question having to do with the fabrication of my counters.

Thanks to all the wisdom of you GW folks, I had changed my cabinet plans from a raised L-shaped bar, to a counter height bar/peninsula. And I am soooo glad I did!

The peninsula is made up of 3 parts: the base cabinet (kitchen side) with 2 deep drawers the width of the cabinet, and 2 smaller drawers above; a bookshelf (not show in the photo but would sit on the base you see at the end); and a shallow cabinet on the living room side.

I would like to create a slight overhang above the shallow cabinet to serve as a bar ... but mainly just for "perching" and not really for permanent seating. The width of the peninsula is 42" which would really only accommodate 1 -2 modest bar stools anyway (thinking of something narrow like the Tibetan from PB).

I understand that a bar overhang should probably be about 12-15" for comfortable/frequent seating, but because I will only use mine on occasion and for "perching" I was going to go with 9". The other reason that I don't want to do something deeper is that I don't want it to jet out too far into the living room and/or interfere with the traffic flow in/out of that room.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (13)